“Overrated- beware of the glowing reviews!”
Review of Big Bear Lodge

Big Bear Lodge
“Overrated- beware of the glowing reviews!”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I was not expecting a palace, but when a motel gets 4 star reviews I expect it to be habitable. I researched this place on Trip Advisor, and was expecting a charming Mom and Pop place based on the fabulous reviews and ratings. The lobby was cluttered, the pool looked dirty, and the outside was very worn, but we decided to give the room a try. We had room 39 (a suite). We walked in and it was a disaster! The furniture was falling apart and so old! Beds were at different heights, the bathtub was peeling and was either filthy or permanently stained! To pay $125 a night for THIS was preposterous! We couldn't stay a minute let alone 2 nights in this dump. If the new owners have made significant improvements I shudder to think what it was like before! We forfeited $140 for the first night and left as fast as we could. I
was so disappointed in Trip Advisor for the misleading info!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank HeadingUpNorth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We had mechanical problems with our truck. Randy and Sarah were very sweet and accommodating! The rooms ARE small but extremely clean. They also have larger efficiency suites for bigger groups. We would definitely recommend the Big Bear Lodge, in Alpena.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Diheider
Hammond, Indiana
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Big Bear Lodge on July 5th. Randy and Sarah are very friendly. The room was very basic but very clean and fine for our needs. The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep. The continental breakfast was a nice touch. There is also a nice restaurant right next door and the beach right across the street. If we are ever back in this area, we would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mbreej
Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in one of the two room suites that had a fridge, stove, coffee pot, microwave & even a few dishes. it was very clean, roomy enough for what we needed and the owners were very friendly. Our only complaint is that the beds were very uncomfortable. :( We liked being walking distance to family, food & of course the beach. The owners offered a continental style breakfast each day and we had free wifi access. I know they are working really hard to upgrade from the disaster it used to be and you can tell. Keep up the great work! (New queen size beds for this suite should be next on your list ;)

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank moorea1999
Cranberry Lake, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We only stay at Big Bear when we visit Alpena. It's perfect for our needs. We don't care about fancy amenities like big workout rooms or saunas. We're here to enjoy Alpena. The rooms are a bit dated and that scared us at first but we realized almost immediately that they were meticulously clean and comfortable. This is a family owned and run establishment and they make you feel very welcome, as though you're friends coming to visit rather than guests in a hotel. I highly recommend Big Bear Lodge to anyone who just wants a clean comfortable and reasonably priced place to stay.

Room Tip: The rooms are small so travelers with small children should make sure to get the doubles or even the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank beejue
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Ok, so if you are looking for fancy high end lodging, this is not for you. As far as I know, there is no masseuse on staff. But if you are looking for clean, comfortable rooms and people who welcome you like friends, this place is awesome. In fact, my family doesn't stay anywhere else when we go rock hounding in Alpena. The place is family owned and run by kind, generous folks. We are happy to have found our home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Heather S
Tawas
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Outside of building looks great!! I called to make our reservation , only queen beds so we took a room with 2 queen beds.. When walking to our room, there were chicken legs spilled out on the sidewalk.. My husband unlocked the door ... Oh wow!! The carpet was filthy, the place looked like back in the 40s.. When I put my head on the pillow there was rumbling so I was awake most of the night.. The water heat kept making ticking noises all night .. Bathroom was pretty much a joke.. Not one place to plug in a curling iron or blow dryer :( The gentleman who booked me said "you are going to love your room" The kitchen light was burnt out. Only regular coffee was given. We won't go back.. Kind of a dump actually ...

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Elaine H
Sarah W, Owner at Big Bear Lodge, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
HI Elaine, thank you for the response. We would like to thank you for trying our motel. We try very hard to make sure everyone has a clean and comfortable experience. I am sorry that you did not let me know that there were any problems/issues. I would have taken care of them immediately, as I told you when you left from checking in. if there is anything don't hesitate to call. As for chicken bones. we were obviously the victim of someone throwing them there. I clean it daily and had already done so that day in the morning. I clean all the ashtrays and sidewalks and grounds every morning. the light bulb has been replaced within a half hour of receiving your comments, I simply did not know it was not working.. the pillows have a barrier for the guests protection from head lice or any other things that may come from being in a people business. you can take the protectors off if you wish. we provide them as a courtesy for your protection as well as clean cases.. I also noticed that you did not mention how large the suite you had was or the brand new serta perfect sleeper mattresses with matching comforters, walk in closets , the bathroom is from the earlier era and most guests have commented how good shape they are in. if we spend the money to redo them. then the price increases for guests. we are trying to make a pleasant clean environment that is family friendly with out killing a vacation or travelers budget.. you also had a full eat in kitchen and full living room with large screen tv.. approximately 800 ft of living space for under 100$. I will look into the bathroom plugs and make adjustments as needed to give a home atmosphere. again , thank you for the reply. please accept our apologies for your stay. and please advise us next time so that we may address any concerns immediately.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Ramada Alpena
#3 of 4 in Alpena
Churchill Pointe Inn
Churchill Pointe Inn
#1 of 2 in Hubbard Lake

Been to Big Bear Lodge? Share your experiences!