“Waters Edge Motel Alpena, MI”
Review of Water's Edge Motel

Water's Edge Motel
Ranked #3 of 4 Alpena B&B and Inns
Germantown, Tennessee
“Waters Edge Motel Alpena, MI”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Motel in very poor condition. Needs major updating. Stayed there one night only because all other area motels were filled. Now I know why. I would suggest checking out a room before formally checking in.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Michael S
Susan M, Owner at Water's Edge Motel, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
A friend of ours alerted us to the comment regarding our accommodations. It was obvious that our housekeeping staff was not performing their duties to our satisfaction. They have since been dismissed and we have hired new staff. We would like the opportunity to accommodate you again.

Susan and Pete - Owners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Jackson, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I chose this motel based on the pictures and descriptions shown on its website. Because we were staying for a night during a holiday weekend, I thought it best to make reservations first. Since I had given my credit card up front, I was afraid to back out in fear that my card would be charged anyway. I should have taken the chance. The room was filthy dirty and I am sure the sheets had not been washed or changed. The bathroom was so tiny & dirty, it was almost impossible to use it. The owners had a lot of nerve charging $77 for this ~ they sure don't spend the money on improvements or maid services. We couldn't get out of there fast enough in the morning and sure won't ever stay there again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Yvonne N

Susan and Pete - Owners

Travellers are raving about these Alpena hotels

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The place stinks and is old and dirty. If you are at all particular about your stays out, this is NOT the place for you, especially with the family. We were lured in by the "pet friendly", but not even happy about the dog laying on the floor. Unless you have pets and are in a bind, keep looking elsewhere. We are braving the night, but will be cancelling the rest of our stay here. The previous reviews are confusing about clean and nice, but I guess it all depends on what you are used to on a daily basis and how you live.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Travel A

East Lansing , Michgan
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I agree with earlier post that rooms nearer #10 are best, I got # 9 by chance. My dog was welcome. To be fair , the room wasnt that great, but not bad or dirty. The comforters arent new , might have a burn hole or two, the TV is old (but it worked), and the bathroom is tiny, but has a working shower at the normal height.
I'd suggest asking to see a room if you are very particular. The owner was very nice and I wouldnt want to suggest they put their place up as luxury . It is ON THE BEACH and their land is next to a much larger city beach so, it'd be a big bill if Holiday Inn owned it....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Mickey M
Clarkston, Mi
Reviewed 15 July 2012

This is a mom and pop motel. Our King bed was comfortable and the sheets were good. The bath towels were thick and soft. The carpet was stained and probably dirty but otherwise the room was clean. The large picture window offered a lovely view of the lake. Nice beach. Can walk to restaurants. I recommend staying in a room numbered 5 or higher since they are further from the road. We did not hear traffic noise in our room (number 5). The owners were very nice.

I would stay here again -- but not for my anniversary...!!

Room Tip: close to the office
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bikingkat
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The view of the water and beach area was spectacular. The hospitality and service was outstanding. The accomodations were splendid and met all our needs. We definitely will book here again in our future visits in this area.
Rick & Kim Wittner

• Stayed May 2012
Plainwell, Michigan
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I had booked at the Water's Edge Motel based on reviews from other TripAdvisor users. Unfortunately, things must have changed. When I arrived, the man running the place didn't think I had a reservation - he had to call his wife to figure it out, which didn't inspire confidence in their management skills.
The room was neither clean nor "cottage like." When I peeled back the comforter on each bed, I had to brush off hair and sand from the sheets. The bathroom looked like the walls had recently been painted - because there was white paint slopped on the unfinished woodwork. There were open seams in the door leading into the wall, and the ceiling was pitted and had bits of plaster (?) dripping. Gross. The shower head was positioned about mid-chest (I'm 5'9", my husband is 6'1" - we had to duck in order to use it). There was a cupboard and two drawer in the bathroom, which would have been nice if they weren't stained and musty. There was hardly any counter space in the bathroom, so only the toothbrushes were able to be left out - I had to pull everything out of my bag to get ready in the morning.
There was a line of plastic sheeting over the carpet from the front door to the bathroom - I suppose for people tracking in from the beach outside. Admittedly, the beach access was nice - but the public beach is a couple of doors down, so it's not like you couldn't go to the public beach to access Lake Huron.
The door had crazed glass windows that allowed light into the room in the morning - and the curtains allowed light in from underneath - so sleeping in was impossible. The outlet next to the table in-between the beds didn't have a three-prong plug, so I had to plug my computer and cell phone charger into the outlet shared with the wall A/C unit. There was no hair dryer, so I left with a wet head.
The price was NOT $55/night for a "classic standard" room - it's leaped up to $77/night! Frankly, if this had been a $55 motel room, I wouldn't have had such high expectations. Next time, I'll spend $79 and stay at a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank PrincessInArmor

Susan and Pete - Owners
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Ramada Alpena
#2 of 3 in Alpena
Grand Lake Resort
Grand Lake Resort
#1 of 4 in Presque Isle

Been to Water's Edge Motel? Share your experiences!