“lighthouse festival”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Alpena
Shelby Township, Michigan
“lighthouse festival”
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Overnight stay for the lighthouse festival. I would give this hotel a rating between average and very good, more like good. But that wasn't a choice. Rooms were very clean, but somewhat crowded and small. Location was good and the staff was friendly. Room had a little musty smell to it when we first walked in, but dissipated after a short time. Seemed quiet enough, but we did have a sound machine with us to block out some noises. Would probably stay there again. Refrigerator and microwave were also in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Reserved a double room for the weekend of the Alpena air show. Requested a non-smoking room but was given a smoking room (last available room) even though I booked the hotel months in advance. Room was small and Wi-Fi was not very strong. Breakfast was fine. Location was good - close to Alpena airport and CRTC. I would try a different hotel next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Yankton, South Dakota
Reviewed 19 September 2012

This hotel was great. Stayed there for a few days and was so happy with the accommodations. The beds were super comfy. Room, small but cozy! There was a little playground area and outdoor gazebo in the back with a horseshoe pit, we have a 3 year old and spent some time out there. Staff was super friendly. Our ONLY problem is that we washed our laundry there and at some time someone took it upon themselves to take a pair of jeans and t-shirt from the machine. AND, when the pool closes, so does the laundry area (hint hint). Don't expect much from the fitness area, the cardio machines are old (like the 80s!) and the all in one machine was missing the bar. But really, it was a GREAT experience!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 31 August 2012

My friend and I stayed at this hotel while we were in town to see the museum of the lakes. It was pleasant at this wonderful little hotel. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. The check in was quick and the desk clerk was very helpful with directions for the town.
I think the breakfast could have been a bit better but it was OK.

The hotel is also located close by to many stores which I found to be helpful.

All in all...a very nice hotel. I would stay here again on my next trip to Alpena.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Friendly greetings welcomed us Friday night as we checked into the Best Western Alpena. The woman at the desk was very pleasant. The room was on the smaller side but very clean. The only downfall was that you couldn't move the shower head up or down or left to right. Overall it was a relaxing experience. We didn't go swimming so I can't comment on the pool/jacuzzi but we did walk by it and seemed like the people were having a good time. We loved that there was a gazebo in back with a private sitting area attached. We also saw that there were horseshoe pits and a basketball hoop. We both agreed that we would stay here again next time we came up to Alpena. Thumbs up!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

The room was perfect, clean and comfortable. Deecor had been tastefully upgraded . Hotel staff were friendly. This hotel is located with stores/services nearby. Walking/biking trails are nearby. The breakfast has room for improvement, having a limited selection, and not so healthy choices (like no plain oatmeal, no yogurt, a few sorry apples). WiFi worked well with a good signal. If you are a AAA member, show card to save.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Although the room at this motel was adequate, it had a funny odor when I first went inside. Also, I had trouble with the key card during the two nights I stayed there--it would only unlock the door after I swiped the key several times. The room is on the small size--especially the bathroom which could have used a bigger sink. The room was located in an interior breezeway, so there was no window to the outside which I didn't like. I tried requesting a better room with an exterior window, but the clerk said they were booked solid and couldn't move me. The continental breakfast was on the sparse side, only offering coffee, tea, juices, cereal, etc. It would have been nice to have scrambled eggs and/or meat, but I was quickly able to go to the McDonald's across the street. Overall, the motel has nice staff and clean rooms, but if you prefer a window that allows you to have an outdoor view, I would book your room far in advance if you don't want to get stuck in the breezeway.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Ramada Alpena
#1 of 1 in Hillman
Big Bear Lodge
Big Bear Lodge
#1 of 3 in Alpena

Been to Best Western Of Alpena? Share your experiences!