“Small rooms, but decent”

Best Western Of Alpena
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Alpena
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is very clean, but the rooms are really small. Ok for one person, very tight for 2. The rooms have been somewhat updated. They have a fitness room with new equipment and the free breakfast was adequate. OK for a basic stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJUC

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This hotel is clean and friendly staff. Services are limited but so also are the choices in Alpena. The beds are ok for one night but after 3 nights my back was killing me. The breakfast is good since you can make a waffle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
1  Thank gwmeyer31
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We arrived much later than usual, but the front desk clerk was very pleasant and accommodating. We even requested a roll-away bed due to a change in our stay, and it was no problem for her to deliver it. The rooms are slightly smaller than others, but still plenty of room. The beds were comfortable. We were next to the lobby and the breakfast area, so I was concerned about noise, but I heard very little. Breakfast the next morning was good, and the fresh waffles were much appreciated by our daughter.

I would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The hotel was clean. Rooms a little on the small side, for instance, refirigerator is in the closet (but gald to have a working refrigerator. These seemed to be the best choice in the area, with full service Holiday Inn franchise pulling out. Front desk employees were kind and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I would not recommend this hotel. There is a larger room on the first floor of the hotel and we request it everytime we would stay there. We've stayed there about 6 times. The last time we stayed they said the room was booked, even though I requested it when I booked. So we took a smaller room. When I went to the lobby because the wi-fi wasn't working I saw a family check into that room. I asked them if they had requested that room and they said no, it was their first time staying there and they were only staying one night, we were staying 4. I was shocked and upset. I asked the owner about this and we were moved to this larger room the next day after they checked out. We were staying for 4 nights and their are 5 of us. ,s o more room is needed. The owner was very rude about it and unapologetic and made the rest of our trip uncomfortable. So when we got home I called Best Western and they apologized and gave us some extra reward points, that was all. This was in May of 2013. They asked that I give the Best Western another try. So when we decided to go back to Alpena this Sept I decided to give them another try and booked for 3 nights. I got a call today on my home phone from the crazy owner that said we were not welcome to stay there because I had complained about their hotel. I could stay at Days Inn and she would give me the phone number. She was canceling my reservation and it was her right as an owner to do that. I didn't appreciate being called at home and harassed by this woman. Stay away from this crazy place. She really did sound crazy on the phone and extremely rude. If you have a complaint they don't want to hear it and won't do anything about it, but make you feel like a bad person for complaining. I did book the Days Inn and should have to start with, it is cheaper and the rooms are nicer, larger and have fridges.

Room Tip: avoid at all cost
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ToddKatie
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Upon arrival greeted by a lovely lady who gave me a nice quiet room for a weary traveler. It was just perfect for one. Clean, with all the amenities and a comfy bed. Hotub & pool were relaxing with great Wi-Fi, good t.v. channels and breakfast as expected. Missed my morning juice as the machine was out of order. Good location to get gas in the morning, and was in need of a referral to get an oil change, and the morning check-out gal gave me a great recommendation and even a map to get there. Its the little things that make great customer service. My second stay in 3 years. Never disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank oxengirl
Reviewed 16 March 2014

My stay at the BEST WESTERN of Alpena was pretty decent! Price was good - wifi was good - beds very comfy - bathroom very clean - hot shower - it was neat having two door options (to outside or hallway) - breakfast had a good spread - clerk was nice in the morning.
At check-in there was a 'smoke' smell in the lobby... which was odd being a no smoking hotel... but I won't hold it against them. Maybe it was burnt popcorn...
Will recommend and return if my travels warrant a trip to Alpena!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Alpena - Downtown
#1 of 4 in Presque Isle
Thunder Bay Resort
Thunder Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Hillman

Been to Best Western Of Alpena? Share your experiences!