“Short stay on business...”
Review of Ramada Alpena

Ramada Alpena
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Alpena
Southgate, Michigan
“Short stay on business...”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here with my daughter on a business trip. We did ont eat at the restaurant. The pool was very nice but we didn't use it. Rooms were comfortable. The location is older but from what we saw very well maintained. The staff that we interacted with were very nice - making suggestions as to where to eat, and always saying Hello. I would stay here again. The free wifi worked OK, not great, but manageable.

Room Tip: I believe fox news is on channel 46
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hugh C
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to having you stay with again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Michigan Center, Michigan
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have been in the Alpena area on business several times these last few months and stayed at the Best Western most of my trips. However, because a big group was staying at that hotel they suggested the Sanctuary Inn & Conference Center. I like the Best Western a lot, so I followed through with that suggestion. The Sanctuary Inn use to be a Holiday Inn and you can tell that immediately by seeing the style of the building.

The lobby was nice and the outside was well taken care of. The women at the front desk was not overly pleased to see me check in and I did not get the welcoming feel I've come to know from the Alpena area. Upon traveling up to my room, the carpets were stained and bunching in some areas and the hallway was dark and not inviting at all. Dark walls, dark carpet, and poor lighting do not really create a welcoming feel. There were also some glasses, salt/pepper shakers, and utensils scattered around the hallway from people who ordered room service. When I checked in, it was 4 pm, so unless there were a large amount of people who ate a late lunch/early dinner in their rooms, I'm thinking they had been there a while.

The restaurant that is in the hotel is so/so. They had decent food, but it wasn't memorable by any means. I probably should have ventured out, but I was too tired.

The room was mostly clean, there were stains on the bed spread (which were all white) and the curtains. I found a few bugs in my room, that I killed, but other than that it was clean. The bathroom was spotless, which was comforting. However, I had to slam my door to get it to close and lock properly, which I did not find so comforting. When I informed the front desk clerk of this on the way out, I got the impression that she didn't care, or that she expected the cleaning staff to deal with it. I also heard the women checking out ahead of me, who stayed a few rooms down from me, complain that when she moved her chair she found three crumbled cookies under it, which leads me to believe that they are need to follow up on their cleaning staff better.

All in all for the price, it was not the worst hotel, but it needs some serious stepping up in cleaning and management. If my Best Western is full on my next trip, I will look for a different hotel than this one.

Room Tip: Choose a non pool room if you want a good nights sleep. The pool rooms seemed to be really noisy wit...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. Honest feedback is always appreciated as we strive to create the best possible lodging experience for our guests. We hope that you will reconsider and give us another chance to better serve your lodging needs.
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Rooms were clean but the entire hotel is in need of a facelift. Its old by hotel standards and showing its age. Although the place was 80% empty they only had 2 double bed rooms available when we checked in but King beds were available online???? Pool and hot tub were clean as well.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay. I am sorry you could not get a king room. I don’t know which night you stayed, but I do know we had a large group in July who stayed more than two weeks and they had king rooms. I hope you will stay with us again on your next trip to Alpena.
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Our recent stay at the Sanctuary Inn was very much like our previous one, which was back in 2012 when it was a Holiday Inn. The place was comfortable and value-priced back then, and it seems not to have missed a beat with the change of ownership. Our room was spacious, clean, quiet, and had everything we wanted except a microwave. The staff was very friendly and cooperative. We especially like the layout of the Sanctuary, which features a smallish but well-designed reading/TV area in the lobby, a restaurant on the premises, and an all-weather central entertainment area with a large pool, putt-putt golf course, ping pong tables, kiddy ride, microwaves for heating snacks, and other features conducive to fun and gatherings.

We encountered a few things we didn’t like, but our only major gripes were with the air conditioning system and the restaurant. The weather was unusually hot (upper 80s) during our stay, so the a/c operated non-stop. It did keep us reasonably cool. However, there was no thermostat in the room, just a control that let you turn the a/c on and off, and to high or low fan setting. The a/c didn’t seem capable of dealing with the high humidity. This may be a prime reason why the carpeting felt quite damp. We won’t be eating any more meals at the motel’s restaurant, CW’s Barbeque, since our recent breakfast experience there was so awful (high prices, excruciatingly slow service, food improperly prepared, ran out of milk, etc.). One of the microwaves in the central entertainment area was very badly in need of cleaning.

Alpena doesn’t have lots of good motels to choose from, so the Sanctuary will remain our first choice as long as its rates remain so affordable. We paid just $89 a night, plus tax, for our Sunday through Tuesday stay.

Room Tip: Room number 173 is well situated for minimum noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Citallwic
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
We are very happy that we will remain your hotel of choice when visiting Alpena. Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay.
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Price of the room was appropriate for the accommodations. After reading some of the reviews I was very concerned to stay here. Being July 2nd people were pouring in for the 4th of July festivities and we got one of two rooms left. (Single w/ king bed) Lobby was very nice with step down fireplace and a sitting area. The lobby smelled pleasant and the hostess was very friendly and helpful.
However, the picture on trip advisor doesn't match the front that we saw (sorry, didn't think to take a pic), hotel does not face the road, entrance is on the left side of building, The door at the front of building is the restaurant, but also leads to the hotel lobby, down the hall (I think the blue awing is now brown as well.)
It looks kind of like an office complex from the road, so it does need better entrance info.
When we got to the room, any concerns I had went away. The room smelled fantastic, was very neat and really clean. I always check any hotel rooms I'm in to make sure they are taken care of the way they should be.... and it was! Towels smelled freshly laundered,
the bath room was very clean, and the soap smells awesome!
The bed linen was fresh and clean. I checked the mattress (if you know what I mean!) it was clean and to my pleasure was also very comfortable. The hotel is about 5 minutes from the lake, which worked fine for us.
The restaurant might be a different story... we had the lunch buffet. There was a nice variety but that was as far as I would go with the plus side to it. It offered grilled chicken, two different fish, beef, pulled pork and assorted vegetables. Not something I would choose to do again. Everything was way under seasoned, GFS frozen food I would guess, everything that had the "grill marks" mostly tasted bland and burnt. Maybe Breakfast and 'to order food' may be better, however we did not try that food. If you are a coffee drinker the coffee was not great or even good for that matter. Room was not over stuffed or decorated with outdated 1990's left overs (which in most of my experiences seem to be the norm for small lake town areas).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 117 and though we thought it might not be the best choice due to normal first floo...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Becky S
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide this thoughtful review. I am happy to hear that your room met all of your expectations. I hope you will stay with us again soon. Perhaps one of our plated menu items would be more to your liking. We have some great sandwich plates!
Alameda, California
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Granted, I stayed here awhile ago (Sept 2013) so I don't know if it's changed, but when I stayed here on business the hotel was a ghost town. I believe they had just changed their name so I think no one knew the hotel existed (hopefully that explains it). There were so many rooms and I think there were maybe 5 people staying in the whole place. The room was fine, but the large central area with the pool, the run-down carousel, the creepy arcade with broken machines... it was like I was living in Stephen King's The Shining. Which isn't ALL bad since I like horror, but it wasn't really what I was expecting.

Room Tip: Lots of rooms don't have any windows facing the outside, but rather face the large interior spac...
Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve C
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I am sorry you were not happy with our arcade during your stay last September. We weren't happy with it either and have recently changed vendors. New games should be arriving this week. If you stay with us again, I think you will find the quality of the games to be much better. Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Travellers are raving about these Alpena hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Sanctuary Inn is a budget hotel that over charges. We stayed here on Easter weekend and there were so many people in and around the pool on Friday night that we didn't bother going back. The hotel was loud and there were always cooking smells in our room.
We entered via a back door that had the same dirt and leaves in the entrance way all weekend. The hallways were also dirty the entire time we were there.
Our room was dated but beds were comfortable. It was nice to have a fridge.
Overall we did not enjoy our stay here and will try the Best Western or Days Inn next time. We actually left a day early because we really did not want to spend another night here.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Diana L, General Manager at Ramada Alpena, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Our indoor recreation center is always quite busy on the weekend. Most people thoroughly enjoy this area. It is by nature active and noisy with kids of all ages having fun in the swimming pool and with all the other activities in this area.

Our entrance areas are cleaned every morning, but dead leaves, etc. stick to the bottom of boots and are brought in each time a guest comes through that area. Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay on Easter weekend.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpena
Best Western Of Alpena
#1 of 3 in Alpena
Thunder Bay Resort
Thunder Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Hillman

Been to Ramada Alpena? Share your experiences!