“Always fresh sushi, but...”
Review of Sadako

Sadako
Ranked #117 of 610 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: US$0 - US$5
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 2 October 2013

...the spot this restaurant resides is old and uninspiring. The kitchen, while masked by a stained printed curtain, needs a wall. I have seen the kitchen floors a few times and they do make me a little nervous. The restrooms need to be cornered off better somehow. The decor is hideous. Open up the hostess stand and get ride of the paper clutter. Remove the plastic birds and fish and paper fans from the walls. The wall color, while bright, doesn't match anything. The tables are spacious, but sometimes I feel too close to others dining in the restaurant. Just seems a makeover could give this place that "excellent" rating.

The sushi is always fresh. Always. The food here is carefully prepared, even though sometimes it takes a little longer. That's a huge comfort to me when it comes to eating pieces of raw seafood. The miso soup and ginger dressing salad that accompany the meals are very good. While I have yet to expand my horizons eating sushi (I just discovered the cuisine about a year ago.), I recommend anything Sadako's sushi menu. I also tried a classic chicken teriyaki roll, and it was perfectly done. I've eaten at other sushi establishments around the country and in Ann Arbor. Sadako presents and tastes the best.

The waitstaff is always personable and they do not hover when you're trying to enjoy your meal. My husband and I have struck up a conversation with Eugene, who works there, many times. We enjoy the smiles and positive attitudes of those who work here.

Get to Sadako early as the student body seems to flood the place for dinner. Summer months are better for getting a table later in the evening.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My experience was not good at this restaurant. I WOULD ADVICE NOT TO GO AND WASTE YOUR MONEY. Well i recently went at this restaurant and had ordered chicken teriyaki for myself. When i eat it was very hard to eat. When I called the manager then she didnt show up because she was didnt knew how to speak in English, then she send one of her server with a manager batch to talk to me. When i said about the problem then the guy said “no” to me for exchange the chicken or refunds my money from the bill. I have travelled around the world and eat different styles of food and also in Japan i never had such a pathetic chicken. I also found out that this chicken teriyaki was cooked by Mexican chef and not Japanese. Where i heard this restaurant was authentic Japanese restaurant. But the server gave me excuses and never refund or exchanged my money back. I have never heard any manager say NO to me for exchange of the dish, which was not cooked, well but this restaurant were miser. Hope you dont face this situation, so please dont go.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

I've been here 3-4 times when I've visited Ann Arbor. Each time the sushi has been excellent, better than sushi places that I've been to back home near Boston. The sushi has been uniformly excellent and well prepared each time. They are consistent. The service is excellent, wait staff is attentive and friendly. And the bill is surprisingly small! Great food, friendly staff and small bill. What more could you ask for!

1  Thank George H
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Ann Arbor is a college town and Sadako understand that. This is a restaurant that cater to students and offer them good Sushi and Japanese food ant a very reasonable price. The service is very friendly, you are in a College atmosphere, but it is not loud. I recommend it if you are in Ann Arbor and want to eat good sushi at a good price.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

For several years I've been hearing Sadako whenever the conversation steered anywhere near sushi. All that hype made me think this place was a national treasure.
In reality, it is good, but not outstandingly great. The food was a good value ($8 for a combo plate of sushi, salmon, soup, salad, fried seafood). The teriyaki salmon was deliciously cooked, sushi was well made but not extraordinary, miso soup was generic but quite pleasant.
The interior is fairly plain and gets quite loud around lunchtime. Customers are largely Asian students, which I suppose serves to verify the food to some extent.
Location is fairly convenient, a little outside the center of downtown.
Service was prompt.
Probably a place to try if you like sushi and other related delicacies, but not a place you would go out of your way to visit.