“Nice Restaurant”

Carson's American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Carson's American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #58 of 609 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Plymouth Road
Description: Contemporary American Cuisine. An eclectic American restaurant featuring a wide array of American favorites: Prime Rib, USDA Angus steaks, chicken, pork, fish, seafood and a variety of fresh salads.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I was staying at a hotel down the street and stumbled upon Carson's. I found it interesting that their menus were ipads. While the restaurant was not full, I was seated back by the kitchen/beverage area - not great.

I had prime rib. It was pretty good (although whatever they put on it was a little salty). The potatoes were not fantastic. I liked the bread. The service was quick

Overall, it was okay. However, for the price I expected more - better service, seating and food.

1  Thank mom2010

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Went there after the ICC soccer match on Aug 2nd. Waited about 15 minutes since we did not have a reservation (no problem). Currently, every Saturday is 1/2 price wine all day, both glass and bottle. I had the Rib Eye steak (29.00) and ordered it med-rare. It was cooked well done (no pink in the middle at all). I did not mention this to the waitress as we had two 8 year old boys who were tired and hungry. One boy had chicken strips in Mac/Cheese which was nothing special. The second boy had a grilled chicken sandwich and the chicken was very dry. They also had a limited selection of veggies.

The waitress was excellent, made a good suggestion for wine to compliment the steaks and interacted with the boys very well (she had six children of her own). The bill for myself and the boy with the chicken sandwich plus one bottle of wine was $66.00 before tip.

I could eat there again, but it's not someplace I would go out of my way to get to.

1  Thank GNPHiker
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Great appetizers and drinks.Outdoor area was quiet and inviting. Service was great. Restaurant is very pretty. Remington western art, beautiful decor and comfortable seating areas.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

To be fair, by the time we reached Carson's, my husband and I had been on a road trip for two weeks. I was rather sick of eating out. When we looked online and found Carson's American Bistro, I thought "Hmmm... a sandwich or soup and salad could work." However, when we got there and were handed iPads as menus, I knew this was no simple, charming "bistro."

The place itself is lovely and has a nice, comfortable atmosphere. It was when I began reading the menu that I knew I wouldn't be happy. The food here is all "fusion" type entrees; crab cakes with lemongrass and ponzu, mac and cheese with chipotle, etc. I really wanted simple and plain by this time and could not find anything that sounded appealing on the menu. After having the waitress suggest the three most expensive meals on the menu over and over, and her comparing them to the steaks and seafood at Carson's sister restaurants (this after we told her that we weren't from the area and were not familiar with any of these places...) I finally decided to try the fettuccine alfredo.

When it arrived, I took a bite and was assaulted with the amount of garlic in the dish. I lifted the noodles and pulled out (without even trying) at least three tablespoons full of garlic and laid it on the rim of the bowl. My husband could not believe it. He dipped his fork in the place and agreed that there was too much garlic. When I explained to the waitress that I wasn't happy and told her that I was fine and did not want anything else to replace the alfredo, a manager came over. It was a nice gesture, and I'm sure he wanted to make me happy. That being said, the first thing he said when I mentioned the garlic was that "fettuccine alfredo is a garlicky dish." Even if that were the case (and it's not...) EMERIL would have been offended by the amount that I received. Then, he was very pushy in getting me to try something else. I did not want anything else. I explained that over and over. He would not leave me alone. So, to get him to leave, I ordered the corn chowder (once again, overly spiced, this time with chipotle...)

Upon receiving the bill, I noticed that they charged me for the side salad that came with the fettuccine. Fine! I ate that, so I will pay for it. (I worked in restaurants for twenty years and would have never done that.) When I presented the waitress with cash for the bill, she returned with $10 less change than we were due. At this point, I was so frustrated with the entire experience. When the bill was finally and accurately settled, we walked out and my husband joked, "Watch, we'll get food poisoning." I'm not saying for sure that he did, but he was sick all the next day.

1  Thank Kristen W
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I was in the area with a group and went here for lunch. Three of us made the wrong choice and got the prime rib sandwich. None of the three liked it. The presentation was good just fell short in the taste category. The other people I was with, said their food was good.

1  Thank Moody0319