“Great location, although a little expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
NYC
“Great location, although a little expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2011

You don't have much choice in where to stay in Ann Arbor if you want to be in walking distance to campus and the center of town.

I found the Bell Tower to be just fine, and the service was extremely friendly and helpful. Some reviewers complained that the breakfast wasn't adequate but as someone who traveles extensively for work, I found the complimentary breakfast to be on par with any other hotel.

I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2011
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at the Bell Tower Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your future stays with us.

DeWayne Grann
Bell Tower Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Korean first
Fairview, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

The Bell Tower hotel is a fabulous boutique hotel. The service is top notch, the rooms clean and comfortable and the location is second to none. The room rate comes with free valet parking and a very nice breakfast.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and service! We pride ourselves in offering the best guest service in Ann Arbor.

DeWayne Grann
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2011

My wife and I very much enjoyed this hotel for a weekend get away... We found it to be comfortably elegant and quiet. The staff was very attentive and polite. The food at the restaurant was outstanding. The bed slept delicously. We parked our car for the weekend as we were able to walk to the theatre, the market, and Starbucks. It's a little pricey, but was worth it to us.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2010

I stayed at this hotel with my teenager, looking at Univ of Michigan, and we were both very pleased. The staff went out of their way to be helpful, giving us directions whenever we needed it. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was unusually large. My only complaint is the breakfast, which I felt could have been much improved upon. The selection of breakfast foods was extremely limited to cold cereal and danish. Even a do-it-yourself waffle maker would have been an improvement. Otherwise, I would be happy to stay here again but it seems almost impossible to get reservations during any of the football weekends. Maybe I will have better luck when football season is over.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Bell Tower last weekend, the weekend of our wedding. We're both UM grads and thought it would be great to stay right downtown, near all the wedding festivities. Sadly, the location of the hotel was really the only bright spot of our experience.

1) Room -- I was surprised at how little space you get for a $250 room. Living in Manhattan my expectations for having a lot of room to move around are pretty low... but the room was just flat out small. Also, the lighting situation in the room was odd; there wasn't any proper room lighting, just in the entryway plus table lamps.

The worst part about the room was the view from the window -- see the photo; it just doesn't get much worse than that.

2) Service -- the people were friendly, but there were two huge customer service follies which I find unforgivable.

First, while I was preparing for my wedding day, getting dressed in the room, I wanted to watch the Michigan football game. I flipped through the channels but could not find it. I called the front desk and asked what channel it would be on... the woman said she didn't know, but would try to find out. 30 seconds later I got a call saying they simply had no idea. Five minutes later, flipping through the channels once more, I found the game. But tell me, how on Earth can a hotel in Ann Arbor NOT know anything about the football game that is going on? I assume they pay attention to what's happening around town -- how did they fail to realize that on fall Saturdays, EVERYTHING in Ann Arbor revolves around football? I am still scratching my head about this one.

Second, we realized that we left my wife's suitcase in the trunk of the car, which was then parked by valet. I realized this at about 2-3pm, right before all the run-up to the wedding ceremony and reception. I called the front desk, explained, and they assured me the suitcase would be in the room. At 2am when we got to the room, the bag WAS NOT in the room. Exhausted, in my sweaty tuxedo, I had to go downstairs and deal with the situation all over again. Not what I had in my for our return to the hotel room.

What else...

Valet -- the guys were real nice and usually prompt.

Continental breakfast -- OK, a little better than what you get at a Hampton Inn... but really, is that the benchmark?

Internet -- slooooooow.

Parting shot -- when I booked this hotel room around Nov 2009 (that's right, 10 months in advance), I inquired about whether or not they would offer a group rate for wedding guests as well. I mentioned we'd need maybe 30 rooms, and the curt reply was that because this was a football weekend, they'd be happy to honor my request with my full upfront payment. That's $14,000. I was stunned by the arrogance of the person on the phone.

Don't go here for any special occasion, unless the convenience of the location is the only thing you care about.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank discosour
Park Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

Very convenient if visiting U Mich. Nice hotel. Old style hotel, but very well kept. Free valet parking -- a big plus in the area. Small tv's in room, but wifi worked well.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2010

It was a most excellent experience. I will notify my colleagues of such a professional establishment, should they ever have an occasion to travel to Ann Arbor, MI. Thank you for your kind manners and efficient service. My contact person was competent and well-organized. The staff facilitated all my business needs. The meeting area was neat and professionally equipped.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business