“Failed to live up to reputation”
Review of Bell Tower Hotel

Ranked #6 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I had heard nice reviews for this hotel, and it was very pretty, but not nice to stay in. There were 3 problems:

1. very loud. I could hear the man on the phone in the next room, and could very clearly hear someone else while I was in the bathroom. So clearly that if the bathroom had not been so small, I would have thought there was someone else in there with me. There was also LOTS of street noise, including many trucks reversing into the alley below my window: beep beep beep beep beep beep

2. the free breakfast was terrible. I could find nothing to eat. there were no hot food selections at all.

3. the shower head was not adjustable and was clearly designed for someone taller than me (I am 5'6"). In the very small shower stall I could not get far enough away from the shower head to get the water to fall on me properly.

Pros: free and good wireless!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephanie E
There are newer reviews for Bell Tower Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2011

My daughter and I stayed at The Bell Tower Hotel for an overnight prospective college visit to the University of Michigan. Apparently, my Father stayed at The Bell Tower many times for business 40+ years ago! We loved the small, "boutique" nature of the Hotel and the great location in the heart of Ann Arbor. The staff was extremely friendly. A special shout out to "Bill," who helped us with directions and restaurant selections! All in all a great trip. If my daughter decides to go Blue...I'll be back regularly!

-Heidi

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
belltowerhotel, General Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Thank you very much for your kind words. We are truly happy that we are able to please you as much as your father was years ago. We look forward to having you stay with us throughout your daughter's schooling at U of M. Best of luck to her decision! Go Blue

Reviewed 28 July 2011

Stayed at the Bell Tower in Ann Arbor for the Art Fair; love the location, central to all of Ann Arbor. The staff is exceptional!! We needed directions during the construction, and they could not have been more helpful. The rooms are nice, but in need of updating; they are a little on the run down side but everything was clean and nice.

Room Tip: Request an upper floor; ground floor has the view of parking lot.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
belltowerhotel, Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. We have just completed a renovation to half of the hotel's bathrooms and are planning the other half of the hotel at the end of this year. Along with the new bathrooms, we recently changed our televisions to 32" flat screens.

Again, thank you for taking the time for us.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

The hotel is in a perfect location. I have stayed here many times over the last 10 years. The staff is very attentive and respond to all of my needs. I will continue my annual visits for the Art Fair and other events as they arise. The lobby restaurant which is not operated by the hotel leaves much to be desired regarding service.

Room Tip: The Front King Rooms (211,311,411) are a nice upgrade over the standard rooms for a nominal extra ch...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
belltowerhotel, Manager at Bell Tower Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Thank you for your nice comments. As you know, we strive to offer the best guest service whether we see you in the lobby, while you are enjoying breakfast or simply walking out the door.

We look forward to seeing you again next year.

Regards,

Reviewed 7 July 2011

A comfortable & convenient place to stay if visiting U Mich. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. It is walking distance to every place I wanted/needed to go. The room is compact but has everything you need, the bathroom very clean & I appreciated the turn down with a water bottle & Godiva. Room had a nice flatscreen & WiFi & a very comfortable bed. It's on a very quiet side street which is also nice. I would recommend it & probably stay here again when visiting my son.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for the kind words and the thorough explanation of our facility and amenities! We appreciate your feedback and look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 5 July 2011

We chose this hotel due to it's proximity to the Hill Auditorium, as we had tickets for a concert. This is a hidden gem! Located on a quiet street, beautifully decorated-old world charm, with valet parking. Our room was on the 4th (top) floor -very clean, comfortable bed and quiet. The adjoining restaurant was delicious and convenient for a before show dinner, and we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast the next morning. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the campus, or this general area of Ann Arbor.

Room Tip: Ask for a 4th floor room, close to the back
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I had a three night reservation at the Bell Tower Hotel for a suite. I was booked into room 101, and it was terrible: first room in the hall that provides access to all the other rooms; just above ground level with a balcony that made opening the sliding door an invitation to break in; a grungy bathtub shower combo; and worst of all, no air conditioning!! The room was extremely stuffy, with temps at 80 degrees at checkin, to 82 degrees late evening, to 79 degrees in the morning. I was provided a fan, but it was unbearable. The staff did not seem terribly surprised about this - they sent someone to look at it but it was not repaired.

However, upon request I was moved to a lovely corner suite (318) for the second and third nights of my stay, and I have only positive things to say about that room, starting with central a/c that worked like a charm. Suites include a safe, bathrobes, and a minibar, features that are apparently absent from regular rooms.

I would definitely stay here again if I were guaranteed that room 318 was available.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business