“Uninspired”

Cross street: N. University
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Uninspired”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I get the feeling that Mercy's could coast along for years, simply because it's on the University of Michigan campus, located off the lobby of the Bell Tower Hotel. The room is rather bland, and so is the food. A mixed green salad was okay, but nothing special. The steak frites featured a thin slice of ribeye which was fine, but the fries were on the cool side and not very crispy. They were served with ketchup, when what you would really like to see is aioli. A desert of creme caramel was uninspired. Service was fine if overly proper given the nature of the restaurant. A little more care and this place could probably be considerably better.

• Visited February 2014

West Bloomfield, Michigan
“They need help”
Reviewed 18 January 2014

What should have been a nice dining experience was not. It started off with our reservation being lost even though they had called me at home the day before to set it up. It was down hill from there. They need a bartender who can mix and pour drinks in a reasonable amount of time. We waited 10-15 minutes each time we ordered a drink. Once receiving two apologies for the delay and still waited . We ordered the Korean Pork ,which was very good, and the roasted bone marrow. You needed a magnifying glass to find the marrow , a good kitchen would not have sent out such a measly portion. On to the star of the evening, Ono Katsuwa, a Burmese coconut-chicken soup which was excellent but it should have been served hotter. My steak frites was served medium rare as requested but was about 1/4 inch thick and the port/mushroom sauce was scant and gloppy. The sautéed spinach and frites were cold. My companion ordered the game hen. It was raw near the bones. When brought to the waiter's attention he claimed that there was often a vein in the hen that made it look like that. When we pointed out the rawness again he got a manager. The manager examined the hen closely and said he'd check with the chef but perhaps it was water! He finally took the hen to the chef and it was removed from our bill. What ever happened to,"Oh, I'm sorry can we fix that for you?" I do not expect to have to argue with staff over raw fowl. The ambiance is lovely and the food has potential but someone better grab control over the details that make a restaurant function.

• Visited January 2014
“Unexpected surprise”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Our first visit to Mercy's was on a whim during restaurant week and we were blown away by, of all things, the blue cheese salad dressing. The salad is no longer on the menu, but it hooked us enough to get us back several times over the last year or two and we've had good experiences each time. Pretty sure the menu has been overhauled since our first visitIt, and its been renovated since the trip advisor photo above.

The menu features recognizable entrees with a Burmese twist, but the fusion doesn't stray too far to concern less adventurous eaters. On our last trip I had a curry-brined chicken that hit the mark and the short ribs were well-cooked and tasty. The steamed pork bun appetizer was also fantastic. The cocktails are great - last night I had a lavender-sapphire collins, and the ginger-line martini was memorable from my last visit. The also have a few good beers on draft. Last night they had offerings from Arcadia, Bells, Shorts, and had just run out of the Liberty Street Red.

This place should be a lot busier than it is. Mercy's is worth a visit. There is decent off-street parking around in addition to the structure right next to the hotel. Take a break from Main St and give it a try.

• Visited August 2013
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Awesome service and yummy Burmese-style food!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

We have been here about four times over the past couple of years, and we have never been disappointed. Our first visit was during a winter restaurant week--we had a great meal but the simple green salad that came with it (greens, blue cheese, maybe walnuts) had this vinaigrette we still rave about. Usually green salads aren't rave-worthy, but this one so was. We haven't seen it on the menu since, but we remember it.

Our last visit was last night. I got the half rack of ribs, which was enormous. It came with crispy fries and a nice, fresh, vinegar cole slaw (I hate mayo-based slaws, so I was very happy). The ribs were tender and had a sweet, tangy sauce on them. My dining companions had the scallops (there were three, and they fly them in fresh twice a week the server saud, but maybe a fourth scallop would have been nice) and the chicken. The chicken was cutry brined and tasty-tender. Both of my companions liked their food and the veggies that accompanied them were fresh and tasty.

The highlight was the pork bun appetizer. There were four nice-sized buns filled with yummy pork belly, shaved carrots and cabbage, and a really terrific sauce. I could have eaten all four myself. I can't remember if these are a staple on the menu, but if they aren't they should be. They rocked. We also got the shrimp appetizer which was crispy and perfectly cooked and had a nice slaw and sauce with it.

They have some great cocktails here and a very nice wine list.

We've actually had the same server each time we've been here, and he's nice, laid back, attentive, and helpful. He gives good recommendations for both the wine and food they serve here.

I think the atmosphere is clean and modern, and I'm always confused that this place isn't packed all the time. Maybe it's the location (in the Bell Tower Hotel by campus) that makes this a less frequented place, but the food is comparable to what you can get on Main Street, and you can get a table at Mercy's much faster.

If you haven't eaten here I encourage you to try it. We've really enjoyed the meals we've had here.

• Visited August 2013
ann arbor, mi
“Unique cuisine in quiet space”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

A unique cuisine with a limited menu. All dishes are carefully prepared and presented. We liked the Lighter Fare option, a size between starter and entree. Each visit presents new food options. All have been excellent. While we were sorry the poached pear desert was gone, we were very pleased to discover the Pineapple Ravioli desert that has taken its place. A wonderful place to be able to sit and talk because the noise volume is low. Also, we've never felt rushed. Each time we've gone, we've stayed for over 2 hours. Friendly, helpful but non-obtrusive staff. This has become our favorite Ann Arbor restaurant.

• Visited June 2013