“Excellent Brew Pub-Style Restaurant”

Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor
Ranked #12 of 619 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a terrific little spot for dinner in the pleasant surroundings of downtown Ann Arbor. We decided to come here on Father's Day to try something different. We had been to the Main Street area to dine many times but this was our first time to try this particular establishment. We were in no way disappointed as the food and the atmosphere were both very enjoyable. The location in the 300 block of S. Main was among several well-regarded restaurants as well as a few retail shops. The interior of this place was quite nice as it was pleasant and perhaps a bit rustic. On our next time here, I think I will try the rooftop as it was a nice day and I regretted not asking to sit there on this visit. But there was certainly nothing wrong with our seating on this occasion. Our server attended to us very quickly and provided very good service throughout our meal. We started with the Butcher's Snack Board to share among the four of us. This included meats and cheeses as well as pickled vegetables and a large sliced baguette. It was very tasty. My son and I both also had the soup, which was a pumpkin creation with a kick to it. It was rich and wonderfully spicy. For our mains, we had the Cobb Salad, the Quinoa Salad, the pasta special from the daily dinner menu and a Margherita Pizza (slightly larger than an individual sized pie). The entrees were all delightful. Mine was the Cobb Salad which featured a terrific buttermilk dressing. The atmosphere allowed for a very nice family meal. The prices were not cheap but certainly in line with the quality of the service and fare we received. I would certainly not hesitate to recommend this spot as a place to try if you are coming to downtown AA.

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The staff were friendly. The food and drinks were great. Most of the food is from local farmers and or organic. They have a wide variety on their menu with food and drinks. The prices are average for Ann Arbor. The atmosphere was nice. It wasn't loud or rowdy and we stayed for over an hour.

1  Thank Jennahlee87
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Jolly Pumpkin is hands-down our favorite brewery and pub in town, for many reasons. First, the beer is unique and delicious. They're a sour beer brewer and it is fantastic and locally brewed in Dexter, MI. Second, the food. You have to be trendy to keep your restaurant open on Main St, and Jolly Pumpkin has artisan pizzas, sandwiches, and appetizers on it's menu. My personal favorite is the "smoke and fire" pizza - plenty for two people to split or order it yourself and take some home. And you MUST try the truffle fries appetizer, it's to die for. Third, I love the atmosphere of this place! I think this is what wins me over more than the food or drink. The ground floor is lively and busy. The 2nd floor has another bar area that in my opinion is just perfect for after-work happy hours - high tables and lots of room for people to mingle and chat. And then there's a rooftop patio to boot! Service is average, I've never had an exceptional nor a terrible experience. But the food, beer, and atmosphere are unlike any other pub in A2!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Jolly Pumpkin in Ann Arbor has a wide variety of craft beers brewed on site and other locally brewed. The list includes their regularly brewed beers and several seasonal beers with interesting flavors. The food is also an interesting mix. I had the Grilled Chicken With Brie which was an excellent choice. The Apricot jam really brings out the flavor of the Brie. The bread is a locally made craft bread with excellent texture and flavor. Overall I enjoyed the The Jolly Pumpkin.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is one of Ann Arbors best restaurants in my opinion. For food try the lamb burger or one of their unusual pizzas. Their beers and atmosphere are great and I would definitely recommend this place.