“The Ravens Club just keps getting better!”
Review of The Ravens Club

The Ravens Club
Ranked #61 of 621 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Mission StatementAt the Ravens club, our mission is to provide our guests superior service, unique libations, exceptional cuisine that supports our community and an opportunity to relax and smile.Welcome to the Ravens clubOur bar menu offers great classic cocktails, local and regional craft beers, 10 taps and 23 bottles to choose from. We offer a large selection of Michigan made spirits and a unique wine program that spans the globe to offer you the best value without compromising quality. Our kitchen, led by Chef de Cuisine, Dan Vernia and Sous Chef, Scott Behler, will provide exciting food with a focus on local, sustainable, natural ingredients, daily specials and house made desserts. Additionally, we offer an exciting late night reprieve, “The 207 Hour” will be from 10PM to 1AM where we will dim the lights, turn up the music and bring out a few additional special cocktails and small plates so that you can relax and smile!
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I’m not sure there’s an eatery in Ann Arbor that “gets it” like The Ravens Club does. They nail it, and they keep getting better. Great atmosphere, high quality innovative drinks, a tight menu that is simple yet diverse, familiar but subtly elevated, perfectly executed and ideal for sharing – in tonight’s case sharing table-to-table as Sophie and I interacted with our neighbors. Mom and sissy were busy and we were looking for a good time out on the town and The Ravens Club delivered – we had a blast!

This is our second go-round with Chef Frank’s new menu so we opted for some dishes we had not tried. Obligatory fries for Sophie start the courses, followed by the pimento grilled cheese sandwich – a perfect dish for two, and you can even quarter it to serve the whole table. Crisply toasted bread and a delicious, spicy, oozing filling that had just the right heat level to counter the sweet creamy molten cheese.

I’m a big fan of chicken liver mousse and I have not had it at Ravens Club though I have been there many times. I will not go again without ordering it – intricate flavors combined with a full gamut of textures makes this relatively standard starter an elegant and well-conceived dish.
Sophie then had the salad greens softly dressed with a honey vinaigrette and citrus. She bailed on her fork and just ate it with her fingers! Gave me a chuckle!

Next came the smoked salmon tostada. I was skeptical. If the textures don’t work on this type of tostada it’s a mushy disaster, but this one hit the mark in every facet of execution. Perfect crunch, perfect flavors from the smoke to the sweet, beautifully presented. I think this was my favorite dish of the night. The tostada itself held up beautifully providing a needed canvas on which to paint the stars of the palate – smoked salmon, beet salsa, and crème fraiche. Try this one!!!

I wanted another protein and I after ordering the lamb ragu I changed my mind and went with the duck confit. Considering how much food we ate this was the perfect choice. The lamb dish is substantial and we needed to save room for other dishes. Sophie barely left me any, and both the duck and the fried brussels, with their inherent earthiness, were delicately enhanced by the raisin-stout mustard served as a condiment. This is a clever and satisfying dish.

The chef’s choice of the day ruined any glisten of hope for having desert when the gnocchi with blue cheese, toasted pine nuts and chive was laid, steaming, in the middle of the table. Typical of Frank’s dishes, this one could have suffered from being a bit one-note, but the simple addition of toasted pine nuts and chive make a good dish into a notable one. Decisions like this are not serendipity. Frank knows what the hell he’s doing and it shows on the plate.

When I write a restaurant review I try to be objective and I can often find something objectionable, but from the service to the décor, from the ambience to the food, I find The Ravens Club bolstering my spirits and never letting me down. Our server even helped my beautiful stepdaughter Sophie, who suffers from autism, get in and out of the ladies room – treating her with a dignity that is not often afforded her. I love this place!

1  Thank Skip D

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We came here expecting a great dining experience. We soon learned there was a new chef and different philosophy. Yes, the bar menu is extensive if you are looking for cocktails. The wine, not so much. A very limited selection of wines is offered up with mark-ups ridiculously high. For example, my Ann Arbor friend informed me that one of wines offered for $70/bottle had been purchased retail the night before for $12! I normally would have bought a bottle of wine with dinner but couldn't stomach the outrageous pricing. I expect a 50% mark-up but this was price gouging. The menu was limited but generally very good. No option for bread at the table, even when we offered to pay. the owner clearly wants you to drink there! not eat! My salad portion was generous with a lovely, light, slightly sweet dressing. The root vegetable pot pie was savory and absolutely delicious. The deviled eggs were perfectly blended with mustard. My friends returned the olives as unpleasant tasting and the lamb Ragu as way too spicy. Through it all, our server was gracious and understanding and helpful. That says something positive to offset the many shortcomings of this restaurant and bar.

Reviewed 9 March 2014

What a great place. My husband and I have been here several times. We love it. The staff are so friendly. Service is great. We love trying the various cocktails...they have a very unique cocktail menu. The atmosphere is nice. It is such a great place for conversation over drinks! Every time we go to Ann Arbor we make The Raven Club one of our musts!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We are tough critics, as restaurant owners ourselves. We could not have been more pleased with the food, the drinks or the service. We started by ordering "page two", everything on that page of the menu. Not only were the cheese and charcuterie platters top notch, the staffs knowledge of the products was really impressive. The entire experience was memorable. We will be back!

Reviewed 25 January 2014

Visited New Year's Eve 2013. Fortunately had a reservation. Very busy place - maybe too busy although it was New Year's Eve. Very loud crowd too. Not a quiet intimate place for sure. Tons of drinks on a separate menu. One single page for the food menu. We found the food offerings much too weird, limited and expensive. Others may disagree. My meal was the Winter Pot Roast. WAY overcooked, tough, and dried out. It's POT ROAST for God's sake!!! Other meals at our table were much the same. Very disappointing. One bright spot was our waitress Chelsea. Very helpful, attentive and friendly all night. If we go again, drinks only.