Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ann Arbor
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Like all Microtels the rooms are very small but efficient and squeeky clean. It's newly recarpeted, the breakfast was good and free long distance calling was a plus. We also appreciate the great lighting over the bed for night reading.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,279)

Reviewed 12 May 2011

Beware - I have a MAC computer and somehow during my brief stay in this hotel and use of their free wireless internet, a hacker gained access to my credit card and made fraudulent charges. This has never happened to me before and I do everything possible to minimize this risk. I'm still dumbfounded.

Otherwise no other complaints. Rooms are simple but clean. Bed was comfy. Breakfast was nice. Close to everything Ann Arbor has to offer. Can't beat the price.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelbug0618
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I LOVE the Fort Wayne , Indiana Microtel. Stay clear of this one. They're apparently remodeling , but there's no excuse for the laziness I saw here.
When I checked in on a Friday afternoon , there was a coffee cup and napkin on the first piece of furniture I saw coming in the Main Entrance. There was another coffee cup over on another table against the wall across from the entrance.Not a good first impression , but I thought someone may be having coffee.
I left after checking in . Returned 3 + hours later. Said items were STILL in the same place. This was all in close proximity to the front desk . Imagine my SHOCK when those cups , with dried coffee in them , where STILL there in exactly the same places at 6 :45 am today ! Yes , I am the one who threw one cup and the napkin away and TOLD the fellow at the front desk just what I was doing and why. He obviously could have cared less ! I even told him that kind of thing in a Trip ADvisor review could cost them clients. His response ? He KNEW that . Begs the question WHY isn't the front desk staff self - starting and why don't they care about the appearance of the lobby/ breakfast area ? I expect better than that . I've stayed in many Microtels over the years. These guys need to look around and at least pretend to care about their surroundings .
Hopefully , the mattresses are being replaced. Luckily , I was on a solo business trip and not with my tall husband. We could never have slept on that mattress ! Trenches on both sides. I had to stack up pillows in the middle of the bed and sleep in the middle of the bed to avoid the slopes ! I'm not overweight. It didn't cave in because of my weight . It needs replacing. Room was clean. TV was in a weird place on top of the "closet ". Looked like new carpeting in the room. Halls are to be re-carpeted , but I was told the contractor hasn't shown up . (?)
I was in an end room. When the people , unknown to me , in the room next to me arrived , not only did they wake me up , but I could hear their conversation word for word . They weren't being loud , but I could hear everything . The guy's SNORING , NEXT DOOR ( !) woke me up at 2:50 am ! I've NEVER had that happen in a Microtel before . Is this one built differently ?
I expect limited breakfast choices at Microtels , but this one didn't even have peanut butter or bread for toast . Minimal even in terms of minimal choices.
Please note : The room was CLEAN . That isn't an issue .
I really have been super lucky with Microtels. I've met wonderful staff at Microtels. I usually recommend them highly. NOT this one . If they can't clean up used coffee cups in the LOBBY , what else isn't being done ? Maybe I just caught the front desk people who don't care , but this is not a Microtel I'll suggest to anyone I know.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2011

The rooms and beds are clean and comfy...the hotel is clean & quiet...the staff is helpful and friendly (and yes, they're clean)...the location is good...the price is amazing - and for that there's 24/7 coffee and a free breakfast. Can't imagine why we'd stay anywhere else when we're in AA.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Very enjoyable hotel stay. room was as described in photo's . Tv was kind of in a weird location, up high above the "portable closet". Continental breakfast was decent with coffee, juices, cereal, bagels, packaged muffins, and fruits. Room was clean, with attentive maid service. Would recommend staying here to others. Maybe only drawback was limited eateries in the area.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2011

Microtels are unique in the low budget hotel market. In my experience they are invariably clean and well run but the rooms are tiny, if efficiently designed. All of the above holds true for the one in Ann Arbor. The staff here stands out as friendly and accommodating. I took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service to the U of M campus, a real advantage given the parking situation in AA. Breakfast is good, all amenities are functional. The place is a little flimsy and if there is anyone walking in the hall or on the stairs, you'll hear them. But that's my only caution. If the two of you don't mind close quarters, this is a clean, convenient budget hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 December 2010

I stayed here with my partner in the early Fall and was impressed despite the on-going construction. The bed was comfy, the headboard had a long mirror which was affixed to the wall with lighting. Everything was clean. There is a complimentary breakfast with cereal, bagels, juice and coffee. Recommended for those traveling to Ann Arbor for sporting events, but it is slightly removed from University of Michigan's campus.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple