“Affordable Comfort”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota
“Affordable Comfort”
Reviewed 7 September 2011

This review is for room 201, a single queen suite located on the second floor and at the end of the hall. Room was very roomy and had a quaint window seat which was nice even though it only looked out over the highway. I was impressed how quiet the room was considering the busy highway near by. The bathroom was very clean and the shower was wonderful. The TV was in a strange location but we don't usually have time to watch TV while on vacation. Included in the room was a microwave, fridge, island sink and cupboard space which divided the sleeping area from the living space. Most Microtels do not have swimming pools and this one did not either but we were prepared for this. We were in Ann Arbor for a tandem bicycle rally so had little time to spend at the hotel. The morning breakfast could have been better but as long as we can get bananas we are usually satisfied. If I ever find myself in Ann Arbor again, I would stay at this Microtel.

Room Tip: Corner room far from any ice machine noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RansRider

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Minneapolis
Reviewed 1 September 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here while moving our daughter in to her dorm on North Campus. I think it was a better stay than when we stayed at the overpriced Dahlman! The beds were comfy, the room was clean, spacious and attractive. Free Wifi, free breakfast, and really inexpensive. It's location is so convenient for U of M. The staff was friendly and helpful. I wish I had booked for parents' weekend because they are full. I will stay here whenever I come to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

I generally stay in budget hotels, as they are functional and inexpensive. This Microtel is one of the better budget hotels I've stayed in.

There was ample free parking. The front desk clerk was friendly, and got us checked in quickly.

The hotel was very busy, as many people, including us, were staying there while going to the NASCAR at Michigan International Speedway. However, you would not have known the hotel was fully booked, as it was not at all noisy.

The room was pretty small, with nowhere for the TV but on top of the wardrobe, but the bed was comfortable. The room had a desk and chair, and a coffee maker. The bathroom was small, but the space was well-used and it was bigger than other properties I have stayed in.

The breakfast had all the usual continential selections with cereal, bagles, fruit, muffins coffee and juice. The seating was limited at breakfast, so many people came and took items away. The staff made sure it was well replenished.

All in all, this was an impressive hotel for travellers on a budget.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Loulabelle44
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 25 August 2011

This is our go-to hotel (if you can get a room, the word is out on it's value) when we visit our UM-based student daughter. Over numerous stays, we have observed very friendly, informative desk personnel (the manager, in particular, goes out of her way to answer questions and accomodate needs), clean rooms and well-maintained public areas. This hotel is frequented by folks using the Children's and specialized hospitals of the superb UM complex. The guests are well-cared for by the staff. The hotel (oddly, for a Micotel) is located in a higher-end area of Ann Arbor with an excellent variety of restaurants and specialty shops avalable as you ride toward the campus. The UM "North Campus" complex (Engineering and Music, as well as dorms/apts.) is very close to this hotel.
Breakfast is very standard, appropriate for the reduced price you are paying for the hotel. Only issue: coffee needs improvement!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank DrBus
Seattle
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed here for a week in June 2011 while a family member was a patient at the University of Michigan hospital. (It's about 4-5 miles away, but by my research it's the nearest low-cost option to U of M.)

When I travel on business or weekend getaways, I usually stay at 4-star properties, but I generally consider myself a no-muss, no-fuss traveler. Mostly, I can simply confirm what most other reviewers say about the Microtel - Ann Arbor: My room was impeccably clean, the staff was perfectly hospitable, and the complimentary breakfast items were a nice plus -- all at an unbeatable price.

If you're a traveler expecting the lap of luxury and the finest amenities, go elsewhere. This is basic no-frills lodging, and I'd recommend it to anybody who's merely looking for a clean and comfortable place to rest their head for the night.

All the rooms on the 3rd floor appeared to be somewhat recently re-carpeted, which was a nice plus (not sure about the other floors.)

I didn't experience any of the noise issues that a few reviewers have reported. But it's near a highway, and considering the price point, having a noisy neighbor is one of the risks. Also, yes, the TV's are outdated, tiny, and jammed into an odd corner of the room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank onewaySeaWa
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I just came back from a lovely weekend visiting beautiful downtown Ann Arbor. I stayed at the Microtel because an awesome deal I saw for it on Hotels.com. The room was nice, clean, and comfortable. I really only needed a space to sleep and keep my luggage, as I spent most of my time downtown. Having said that, if you have similar plans, it will be important for you to have your own car. You could walk, but it will be 35-45 minutes, and I don't think are sidewalks for part of the trip. Also, there's a 24/7 BP gas station with food store and a 24/7 CVS that are within walking distance if you needed anything.

Going back to the hotel, there's a nice continental breakfast and a vending area with several free beverages and multiple snack options if you need a meal in a pinch.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the first floor, as there are multiple entries/exits to the parking lot
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I stayed at the Microtel Ann Arbor for 4 nights for $55/night. Its far from anything special, but as far as my experience went, anything negative about this hotel seem to be unfounded. In comparison to the other economy hotels in Ann Arbor that regularly have similiar bottom end rates, there's absolutely no reason not to book at Microtel. Although its priced like seedy establishments, there's nothing seedy about it. It's impeccably clean, has respectable service, it's quiet and comfortable.

For my stay I was in just a standard queen bed room with a handicap accessible bathroom. The bathroom took up half the size of the room, was very clean and served its purpose. The room itself was very small but the bed was comfortable and everything worked fine. One glaring downside was the tv. It was maybe 15 inches and quite outdated with a very limited channel selection and was awkwardly placed on top of the closet/wardrobe in the far corner of the room. I still lived in Ann Arbor when this Microtel was built, and I'm positive those tvs predated that time period.

I can't speak for the free breakfast because my jet lag prevented me from getting up in time, but there are a handful of decent restaurants in the area within walking distance. Which brings up my last point. The location is far from the best. It was fine for me because I'm originally from NE Ann Arbor and also had a rental car, but with all the activities being downtown and the southside of town, without a car, its far from the ideal place to stay. NE Ann Arbor is really just residential and not in reasonable distance from the actual city life, so entertaining yourself easily from that area is not really possible.

All in all, if you're just looking for a place to sleep for an extremely affordable place (and you have transportation), there's no reason to look elsewhere. If you prefer a place to relax with more frills thats more centrally located, then this may not be the place to go.

• Stayed June 2011