“The worst experience ever!”

Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North
Ranked #15 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I hate posting negative reviews for local business owners, but my experience with this particular one left me no other alternative.

I travel to Ann Arbor every week, and this particular night with the Ann Arbor fair I couldn't find any rooms close to town, and booked this room at this particular hotel with a credit card hold at a premium over thier typical room rates, and a note that I will be checking in late.

After a 3 hr drive, and 5 hours of work, I was less than 2 miles away from the hotel @ 9:30PM when the hotel front desk called and said they had a "computer glick" and my room was overbooked, and they had no rooms available for the night - hotel speak for we gave your room away. Well what is the point of a credit card hold then - I doubt these people understand the terms of the contract.

Anyway they made arrangements for a room at a similar hotel 20 miles away and in the direction away from my work, and charged me for the same at the higher room rate. Really? I plan to take this up with Redroof customer service tomorrow morning.

Needless to say, this experience sealed my expectations of Redroof, and I will never be staying at this particular hotel or thier chain again.

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Shrinidhic
Kimberly M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would like you to know that we have credited you for the inconvenience as well as have already sent you a free night certificate in the mail. At Red Roof, we strive to provide superior service to every customer. We are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem that occurred. If you would like to discuss this further I can be reached at the Inn.

Please note that we are truly sorry for the inconvenience.

Kimberly Marme, G.M.

Reviewed 22 July 2012

I took a friend for surgery at the U of M and got a special rate,,,I was so surprised at how nice this hotel was...super modern and clean... have not stayed at a red roof in years ,but it was the only hotel with rooms available due to the art fair, I am glad we gave it a try,it is attached to big boy with a choice of 6 breakfast for free,,and room service,,,right off the highway and minutes to the hospital,,everyone from the front desh ,,to the housekeepers even the laundry lady were very friendly,,I would stay again at this red roof inn,,,

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank tammy38
Kimberly M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2012

We appreciate your comments and glad that you enjoyed your stay. We hope that you will visit us again when in the Ann Arbor area. Thank you!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

Although this hotel was very convenient to major roads and access to the University of Michigan, the staff was ambivalent at best. The voucher for breakfast at the adjacent Big Boy restaurant was a nice feature (restaurant staff were great - very personable). Long term tenants stayed adjacent to our room and their cigarette smoke was brought into our room via the outside AC package unit. Hot water shower. Good beds. Faux wood flooring in lieu of carpeting was not kept very clean - our socks were black after walking around the room. OK hotel but would spend more next time in Ann Arbor to get a better experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank hodad57

I am sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We appreciate your comments and are taking the appropriate measures to solve the issues that we presented to your during your stay. Please note that we value your business and hope that you will give us a chance to show you that quality of service that we pride ourselves on. Thank you for sharing your comments. It is customers like you that help us improve our service. Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience and hope that you will come and see us again.

Kimberly Marme, G.M.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

While the Red Roof is 2 star lodging, this one should gain an extra star. The hotel has recently been renovated & is 100% non smoking. The superior king rooms have laminate flooring rather than carpet. As an allergy sufferer, this makes a huge difference in sleep quality. WiFi was fast and reliable.

Room comes with free or discounted breakfast at the attached Big Boy.

*Added Bonus: Red Roof does not charge extra for pets! Other places charge between $10-20 per night.

1  Thank PortCityAnna

We appreciate your business and your positive comments. We are glad that we were able to satisfy your expectations. Red Roof is pet friendly and we are happy to have them join you. Thank you so much for staying with us. We are glad to see that you enjoyed our renovated rooms. Thanks again.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights, the first being the night before my mother's surgery at U of M. When we got to our room it was dirty;it hadn't been cleaned at all.So we called the desk and was given another room. The second and third mornings of our stay the sink and mirror weren't cleaned. They were clean the last morning only because I complained twice. And no styrofoam coffee cups were left. I asked for the coffee cups and they said they would have to bring them; five minutes later they brought plastic drinking glasses. The breakfast deal was only a "fair" deal, and the one morning lady at the desk needs to work on her people skills. Disappointing. :(

Room Tip: No elevator to second floor; you must be able to use the stairs.
1  Thank Kim A

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate your business and would like to apologize for the issues presented to you during your stay. I would like to speak with you personally in regards to this. Please feel free to contact me in regards to your stay. We pride ourselves in customer service and providing the best experience possible. We obviously failed to provide this and would love to make it up to you in whatever way we can. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.

I0045@redroof.com

Reviewed 28 June 2012

It's still a Red Roof Inn. It's a two-star place, but we stayed there last nite because of the 4 and a half stars given by Trip Advisor users. Sorry but that's a misleading rating. We bought the Superior King, and the room was clean and recently updated. This is distinctly budget lodging, however. It had the feel of a residential hotel, with folks sitting outside their rooms in their lawn chairs enjoying a cigarette or two. Nothing wrong with that necessarily, but that's what you can expect here. The weather was hot, so the AC was stressed a bit -- either freezing or uncomfortably warm.

Room Tip: If price is your first criterion, this might be OK for you.
1  Thank Joseph R

We want to thank you for staying with us and appreciate you comments. We are addressing the concerns that you mentioned including the air conditioners. It is our hope that our guest feel comfortable and safe during their stay with us. We appreciate your business and hope that you will give us the chance to provide even better service next time you are in Ann Arbor.

Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had a reunion in Ann Arbor and needed a place to stay. The designated hotels for the reunion were (to my mind, at least) overpriced for my needs. So, after reading the reviews here I decided to chance the Red Roof. I had had some bad experiences with other Red Roofs in the past. Well, I was delightfully surprised!! I had a King Bed single--fine for my needs but would have been tight had my husband been along. The room had been remodelled with the carpeting replaced with laminate--what a great idea!! No more nasty dirty carpeting under my bare feet!! The price was right, the surroundings were clean and fresh and the reunion was great! Who could ask for anything more?? One problem they need to deal with--the Elias Brothers restaurant that is attached is poorly managed--I waited almost 10 minutes to be seated when I could see at least a dozen empty tables. The wait staff seemed to feel that their job didn't include seating the customers. A man who had been staying there for several months told me it was always that way!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MaryKF
Kimberly M, Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Thank you for your pleasant comments and staying with us. I have passed your comments on to the owners of the restaurant. Sorry for the inconvenience there. We appreciate your business and hope that you will stay with us again in the future.