“Best in immediate area”

Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Austin, TX
“Best in immediate area”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I've stayed three times in a Red Roof Inn. A long time ago, in Ann Arbor (maybe 1980?) when RRI was a new chain. Nice then. After many years, with RRI well on its way to being the Applebee's of the hotel industry, again in Albuquerque, in a bucolic spot just a quarter-mile or so from the Juvenile Detention Center. That was dreadful. But I stayed here a few years ago, and am going up to Ann Arbor again tomorrow and will stay there again. I work with people on North Campus at U of M, and my daughter is a student that lives near North Campus, so I like to stay in this area. Previously I had stayed at the Holiday Inn that is more or less across the street, but that place is largely past its prime, with a distinct mildewy smell about.

So I thought I'd try the RRI. It's much cheaper and I didn't expect much, but was very pleasantly surprised. The remodeled rooms are extremely nice and I slept well. Some people here complain about the beds, but I don't remember them being that bad, and I am a picky mattress person. Also, the staff was pleasant.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jfstanton
Kimberly M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Thank you for staying with us again and seeing first hand our newly renovated rooms. We appreciate your posting your comments it really helps us spread the word about the new direction Red Roof is headed. We house a lot of people that are visiting or working at the University and the hospital.
Thank you once again and we hope we will see you again in the near future.

Kimberly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Carp Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 1 January 2013

We loved the room. I liked the non carpet floor. The plug ins for our lap top, phone charger and my machine were plentiful. Didn't have to stretch an extension cord across the room or try to find an outlet on the wall at the head of the bed. Which I hate. The room was modern and it was quite. Friendly staff, Gabby. Breakfast was good. Will stay there again when we need to go to U of M.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for all the wonderful comments about our renovation and our staff. We appreciate your business. Please do look us up again when you are in town. We would love for you to come and stay with us again. Thank you!

St Paul, MN
Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed here for 1 night for business; it was newly renovated and though it doesn't have the best "bones" (the building itself is older and doesn't look great from the outside), the location is good and the rooms are very nice: wood flooring, new furniture, very clean, free wifi, etc. No fridge or microwave in mine so for longer trips maybe not ideal, but for the price you can't beat it!

Room Tip: No elevator so ask for ground floor if you have large luggage pieces
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for choosing Red Roof Inn for your lodging needs in the Ann Arbor area. We appreciate your business are and very glad to see that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for all the wonderful comments. We hope that we you are in the Ann Arbor area again you will stay with us again.

Whitehall
Reviewed 3 December 2012

My dad had heart surgery at U of M. As his surgery was scheduled for Thursday morning we thought we could not take advantage of the breakfast. That morning it was rescheduled and the hotel still let us get our food vouchers anyways. Then surgery got canceled for the day, we were unsure if we would still need the room for the next two nights that we had it booked for? Gabby let us check out a little late and said she would make note of the cyber Monday price we had and if we found out we needed the room after all she would get the same rate for us. They made an extremely stressful time much easier, especially Gabby. We really appreciate how helpful and understanding they were .

Room Tip: Good, clean, basic room. Would have liked a small microwave and some tissues but we would stay ther...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Toni V
Kimberly M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Thank you for your comments in regards to Gabby and then rest of your stay. We appreciate your business and hope that you will continue to visit us when in the Ann Arbor area. We hope that your dad is feeling better. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Blacklick, Ohio
Reviewed 2 December 2012

The Ann arbor VA Hospital made the reservations, they had my dad registered and yet they acted like we were bothering them. The wifi sucks and we could hardly do our work when we were in our room. The restaurant at the front, Big Boy" had two waitresses arguing loudly with each other. Trying to get an order to go seemed like a bother. My dad could not make it to the restaurant to eat and they made me feel bad. When we asked the front desk about local things they were not helpful at all. I am glad that I will not have to return to that hotel and feel sorry for the other veterans that they most likely be treated the same way. Respect them, they are the reason you have a job!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Atinob87
I am sorry that my staff was unable to assist you. We do appreciate our veterans and apologize for the inconvenience with the Restaurant and the Wi-Fi service. I have passed on your comments to the Restaurant owners. We are looking into a new provider for our Wi-Fi service and hope to have this addressed soon. I would appreciate it if you would contact me personally to address these issues that were presented to you during your stay. We take pride in our service and hate to see any of our guests disappointed in our hotel and take any complaint very seriously. Please email or call me directly at the hotel at your convenience to discuss this. 734-996-5800. Once again I do apologize and hope that you will give us the opportunity to make it up to you.

Kimberly Marme
Vulcan, Michigan
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Great place to stay. Very clean and the people that work there are very helpful. They are very friendly also. My boyfriend and I have a daughter in the hospital and we had to stay there for a time. Very nice place!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Lynda M
Kimberly M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn PLUS+ Ann Arbor University North, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
We hope your daughter is doing well. Thank you so much for all the wonderful comments. We appreciate your business and hope that when you return to Ann Arbor that you come to visit us again.

Wolverine, Michigan
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This Red Roof Inn is located at exit 41 on US23 and only a 10 minute drive to the University of Michigan Medical Center/University Hospital. Whenever we have appointments at UofM Medical Center or University Hospital, we stay at this location. The rooms are clean and spacious, the cost of the room includes complimentary breakfast at the adjoining Big Boy Restaurant. Sign up for the Redi-Card program and earn points toward free night certificates (I used one on this stay).

Since I have spent 28 nights here over the past 2 months, I speak from experience when recommending this location. When checking in, Barb always greets me with a smile and happily accomodates any special requests I have. All of the front desk staff is courteous and helpful.

Whether traveling for health reasons or to attend UofM sporting events...this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: I always select the Superior King, which has a large desk and comfortable chair. Also the room has...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Charly_Mar
Thank you for your wonderful comments in regards to our hotel and staff. I will be sure to pass along your comments to Barb. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your return.