“Great for all ages”

University of Michigan Museum of Natural History
Ranked #12 of 93 things to do in Ann Arbor
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Exhibits include displays on prehistoric life with the most extensive dinosaur exhibits in the state of Michigan, Michigan wildlife, anthropology, geology, and a digital Planetarium. The Museum offers special activities for adults, families, and children that include public lectures, annual I.D. Days, Halloween parties, Discovery Days, and collaborations with regional libraries and other organizations.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I have been to this museum many times, both as a young child and as an adult. As a child I loved the pretty rocks and the dinosaur bones. Now, I see that the information beside them is well written and informative. It is a small museum, but that means you get to see everything!

1  Thank Katherine S

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Beautiful old building with a grand staircase and atrium. Nice exhibits, knowledgeable staff and nicely focused walking tour. I did the planetarium (tonight's sky) and museum walking tour which is casual and is suitable for young children. Bargain.

1  Thank Neuron
Reviewed 17 June 2012

During my Father's Day visit, there were many families with babies, toddlers and grade schoolers. This is a great museum for dinosaur enthusiasts. There's also a nice collection of birds, along with notations about those that are threatened or endangered. Great display case of Michigan symbols. I really enjoyed the Anthropology room which is off to the side and has a lot of information about what U-M professors have done while exploring and researching sites throughout the world. Fascinating! The health room had some fun interactive exhibits on a wide variety of topics. The recommended donation is $6/person and it's a definite bargain.

Reviewed 18 May 2012

I remember going to this museum as a child in elementary school and I absolutely loved it. From the scent of the old building to the things I learned. Its exactly the same from when I was young - with the exception of a few things. They have added a planetarium which I really enjoyed for only $4 a person and the cell room upstairs. I always loved the native american area the best - I think they may have changed that up a bit. But overall I enjoy it every winter when I bring someone new to see it. Please donate to help them out as they run based on donations.

3  Thank amandalaren
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I just had my semiannual visit to this museum on the University of Michigan campus, and continue to see why the Exhibit Museum of Natural History (EMNH) gets recognition as one of the top smaller science museums in the country. In fact, I just returned from San Diego where I visited (and reviewed) the San Diego Natural History Museum, "the Nat". The Nat would generally be considered a large museum, at least by its building size (much bigger than EMNH's, and EMNH only gets one end of its building). But (with apologies to the Nat, which is certainly an interesting experience) EMNH makes much better use of its floor space, and the exhibits at EMNH blow the Nat's away in both number and quality, with one exception to be noted below.

In an hour in EMNH I learned much about paleontology in the jam-packed exhibits on the second floor, then information about Snowball Earth and Canfield oceans (though the latter were not called that by name), and was promised that there is an exhibit a'comin' on what atmospheric CO2 is doing to us, a topic I have noted that some other museums are reluctant to cover. I also saw one of the Earth's oldest rocks, a large stairway exhibit (as I said, this place uses its space fully) on the market in endangered wildlife, information on U-M's current archaeological research, and a gazillion school-aged children filling the place noisily, but engaging the science excitedly. They were not a distraction, but more an energy source for a geezer like me who sometimes forgets how to get excited about new science.

One warning: Parking near this place is not easy. But it is worth hunting down a spot and touring one of Ann Arbor's must-see attractions.

Oh, and that exception concerning the Nat's exhibits: The Nat does host some terrific traveling exhibits, and I've seen the Dead Sea Scrolls and, most recently, the Titanic artifacts when they visited the Nat. EMNH does not generally do those, in part, I suspect, because their space is so packed with science goodies that there isn't room.