“"Nothin' Could Be Finer"”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The University Inn

The University Inn
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Columbia, South Carolina
“"Nothin' Could Be Finer"”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

... than to stay in AA, Michigan at the Lamp Post Inn.
My family has stayed at the LPI for 6 years.. not just a day or two, but weeks at a time. We always choose LPI because of its great value, helpful 'n friendly staff, location, and most importantly ... supporting an AA small business.
My suggestion to those who have a problem or find issues with their room or stay at the LPI, find a staff member and ask for assistance. I guarantee they will do their very best to make it right!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 August 2012

This is the most dreadful experience I have had with a hotel/motel. It requires an impressive degree of chutzpa to charge for a room in the condition offered to me. It was dingy, threadbare, poorly lighted and "cooled" by an a/c unit that sounded like a Mac truck. The bath tub was 50% enameled, the rest had flaked off; the bathroom door was split and peeling. The "towels" were thinner than my oldest tee shirt. Everything was downscale and well past useful life. In town for my own reasons, I thought I would suffer through one night, took a shower and lay down on the mattress for a couple hours. As I got up to go a meeting I killed a bug on the side chair. I left, did my business and found a clean, servicable Comfort Inn at a better price. The Lamp Post declined to offer any refund because I had used their room. Indeed, the desk clerk treated me as if I was cheating them.
Did I mention that the first room offered was a shambles? Did I mention the couple in the next room were napping with the door open? I am sure it is better than being deployed to Iraq, but it has zero value as a place to stay. I have been in better maintained prisons (as a guest). Do they give negative stars?

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank PDlawyer

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Edwardsville, Illinois
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Since I have in-laws in town, I don't believe that I've paid to stay in A2 since my undergraduate apartment lease expired in 1984. However, during this trip circumstances forced us to choose other accommodations, three days one weekend, and one day the following weekend. We chose the Lamp Post because a.) it's within a mile of family, and b.) it offers one of the best prices in town.

For those of you who are worried the LP might be testing the lower limits of your cheap motel endurance, keep in mind the following.

PROS
*Good location in SE A2, next door to Trader Joe's, a short drive to Whole Foods, and five to ten minutes from stadium (west), campus (northwest), and highway (east). Easy entry and exit.
*The people at check-in are good communicators and efficient with paperwork - do you suppose they're Ph.D. students or something? I wouldn't be surprised.
*Mattresses are very good; we had no problem sleeping.
*Maid service is really good. We left the room at 9 or 10 a couple days, and each time everything was neat and tidy when we returned at 2 or 3.
*In each of the two rooms we occupied, there was a good showerhead, with plenty of free flowing water.
*Free Wi-Fi and TV both work fine.
*We were pleasantly surprised how quiet things were for a relatively full motel, but can't personally testify to noise level for game weekends.

CONS
*The rooms really show their age. Lots of glumpy caulk holding tile together in bath area. Still, it was relatively clean glumpy caulk.
*The towels and sheets are not particularly high quality, but are clean and replaced every day, unless you ask otherwise.
*The breakfast isn't much more than carbohydrates and coffee - but remember Trader Joe's is next door, like 50 yards across a parking lot, and there's a drive-through coffee shop across the street (no crosswalk, so be careful).

The LP really isn't so bad. It's sort of like going to Grandma's house, but at least Grandma is a pretty good housekeeper. And she knows you love your iPhone, laptop, cable tv, etc., and has made provision for you to use those things.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We recently stayed for a couple of weeks at the Lamp Post Inn. The value is outstanding but even more importantly Bruce Larson and his staff went out of their way to make sure that we had an excellent stay.

Mark D.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Nuremberg, Germany
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We stayed at this motel for one night during our stay in Ann Arbor. We booked the room through Hotwire, not knowing exactly where we would end up at the time of booking. The rate was ridiculously low (under 40 EUR) for a four person room, and since we were not familiar with this (independent?) motel we were a bit worried what would be waiting for us once we got there (1 star rating, varying reviews on TA etc).

But once we got to Lamp Post Inn all our fears disappeared: what was waiting for us was a perfectly ok motel, with large and clean rooms in a quiet location (3-4 km from the city center).

There is a Trader Joe's just behind the property, and as the rooms are equipped with refridgerators you will be all set. There's also a cafe across the street if you need a fresh brew. Free wifi was also included and worked without a hitch. The breakfast was pretty standard fare that we've gotten used to in motels, with just the basics. No complaints about the front desk service either.

If you are planning to stay in Ann Arbor (which we recommend, a really nice and lively little town), Lamp Post Inn can be recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I went to present my work at the NIME Conference and I stayed 10 days in the Lamp Post Inn. It is the best relationship between price and quality that you can find in Ann Arbor. The mattress is nice. People (Mr. Larson, the clean service and the office girls) are always ready to help you. A few meters from the Joes Supermarket. Near from downtown. Only 5 minutes by Bus. A complete breakfast. Free coffe during all day. Free internet. I hope come back someday. I recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Trippin-with-you, Owner at The University Inn, responded to this review, 8 June 2012
On behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you for your business and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

I think most of the people on here like to complain. This place is a cheap place to stay, so if you're looking for luxury go elsewhere. Old, yes. A bit rough, yes. However, I've seen far worse. One tip: get to the breakfast early if you want anything good.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank haller4me
Trippin-with-you, Owner at The University Inn, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As you point out, we are not glitzy but we have clean and affordable rooms and we truly appreciate your comments. I am sorry about running out of several items on the breakfast table but as you probably realized from the number of people in the breakfast room this Sunday, the graduation crowd was even larger than we anticipated. Thanks for staying with us.