“Pleasant trip turned into vacation nightmare”

Comfort Inn & Suites University South
Ranked #25 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Chicago, Illinois
“Pleasant trip turned into vacation nightmare”
Reviewed 21 February 2013

We gathered as an extended family from different places around the country for a birthday holiday. We reserved 2 king jacuzzi suites because of the large living area and kitchenette. We really had a great time. We spent a lot of time in the pool area because of lots of kids. There was a sign at the desk that said they apologize for the broken jacuzzi (or some wording like that). I assumed it meant the ones in the room (which we did not use). Then, in the pool/hot tub area there was a sign taped over the "bubbles" button of the hot tub that said, "out of order". I assumed that meant the motor was broken but the hot tub was still useable because there was no sign on the hot tub and no barrier. So we used the hot tub. The second day, a man came in and taped a sign to the hot tub handle bar that said that the hot tub was out of service but did not say anything to all of the people in the pool area. We stopped using it after that (after a day of swimming in it already). Other People still came and used the hot tub. The evening after we checked out of the hotel, several family members, including adults and children developed a strange rash and joint pain. The rash began to spread from torso to arms and legs and began to itch and be more painful. Three different families coming from three different places, no one felt sick before, during, or after- just the rash and pain all got at the same time. It appears to look the same as the rash described as "hot tub" folliculitis. However, our doctor looked at it and is not sure that that's what it is ( i think it is) and now my kids have not been back to school for three days and I can't go to work until the rash has been deemed "not contagious"! This is disrupting our lives greatly. Won't risk going to this place again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BuckeyeFan32_13
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Comfort Inn & Suites. I am so sorry that your families' experiences did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience, discomfort, and frustration you must have felt.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Comfort Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent other, similar problems, in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Comfort Inn & Suites the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,
Magdalena Sayed

Comfort Inn & Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
NJ
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I was in Ann Arbor to visit U Mich with my son. He stayed on campus with a friend and I was looking for someplace close to the school that met my needs. I found that in this Comfort Inn.

The hotel was clean and the front desk was pleasant. My room was on the back side facing away from the highway, which was quiet. The room was well appointed and clean. I had 2 queen beds, there was a chair with a pull out ottoman, a mini fridge, microwave, coffee maker (coffee and tea bags supplied) and the flat screen TV was 42" (the largest I have ever seen in a hotel room) with plenty of free channels. The sink was outside of the bathroom which is something I usually prefer. Beds and pillows were comfortable, I slept very well.

I connected to the wifi without and trouble. For email and browsing it was fine, I didn't try any video streaming, the TV was nicer!! I did use the computer in the lobby to print a boarding pass for a friend travelling with us and it took almost 15 minutes to get into my email to print it (note there is a 20 minute time limit on the computer, but I should have only need 1 minute for this simple task - don't expect to get anything done if you need it for anything more)

The breakfast was the typical fare for a Comfort Inn. The eggs looked sketchy, but there was a waffle maker, the usual muffins, etc. There was yogurt and fresh apples & oranges. The dining area was a little small, but the hotel wasn't very busy during my stay so it wasn't a problem.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary wireless and in-room televisions. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to your next stay at Comfort Inn & Suites.

Maggie Sayed - GM
Ridgewood, NJ
Reviewed 31 December 2012

First, the good... The front desk staff are polite, helpful and efficient.
Now, the bad... everything else.

A little background. It was parents weekend at UMich and every hotel in the area is sold out. We arrived at the hotel in the afternoon after a 6am flight. A short check in line moved quickly thanks to the front desk Assistant Managers. We waited a few minutes while they "checked our room" to make sure it was clean. Our room is changed because the original room "is not ready." At first glance our room looks fine. Now the horror begins. We open the pull out bed and find a dirty towel crumpled in the bed with dirty sheets. Needless to say, I am appalled and go into the bedroom to look at the sheets on the bed. My husband is just about to pull back the blanket when I walk in. What awaits him is so disgusting - dried body fluids on the bed. Clearly the linens had not been changed. I go downstairs and talk to the front desk. They offer to send the cleaning staff up to change the sheets and take $40 off per night of our stay. We wait 20 minutes for the cleaning staff to arrive. Lovely woman changed the sheets and was very apologetic. She said she had checked the room herself and that the beds had been made so she assumed it was ready for a new guest. My husband and daughter take a quick nap. I am so grossed out that I cannot sleep. Upon further inspection, the room is dirty and looks as if someone had been living there. There is food in the small refrigerator and cabinets, sticky stuff on the tables, what looks like a spilled sweet n low on the counter, a spilled and dry liquid in the frig and a very moldy shower curtain in the bathroom. When we leave the room, I explain all of this to the front desk and am told that it will be taken care of and cleaned. When we arrived back at the hotel late that night, the room was not cleaned. Apparently, the cleaning staff was gone for the night. I ask to speak with the Manager but she is "gone for the weekend and won't be back until Monday." Really... no hotel manager???I ask if I can have her phone number or email and am supplied with her email which they promised she will respond to the next day. My email to the Manager contained photos of the dirty room and asked for a response. Quite honestly, we were looking for the room to be comped (the front desk Asst Manager said she didn't have the authority.) Guess what, no response. I would have the left the hotel, but every hotel in the area, including this one, was sold out. Upon check out in the morning, we were told that the Manager would respond to our email and that we would get an adjustment on our bill. Guess what, no response again. When we emailed the Manager again upon our return home, her response was rude and nasty. We have never been treated like this anywhere... hotel... grocery store... airline... taxicab... anywhere.

I truly feel sorry for the front desk at this hotel.

DO NOT STAY HERE...

Room Tip: Dont stay here...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank PosnerFamily
California
Reviewed 19 December 2012

For any reader familiar with traveling through the middle of the USA, this style of motel is pretty much what you'd expect. Cost is reasonable, the staff were nice at the front desk, the accommodations were decent. Of course motels are what they are and this one fits the bill: I could hear a generous amount of noise from road and the interstate from my 3rd floor room. The beds were firm but not lush. Furnishings dated. Bedspreads gotta go! On the plus side, there is a microwave and small fridge in each room and an updated flat-screen TV. Wireless internet worked fairly well too (included). No room safe. The towels/sheets are cheap and amenities minimum. Breakfast is basic with the added treat (apparently at all Comfort Inns) of a waffle making machine. What I distinctly don't like is hotels such as this using styrofoam plates, paper cups, plastic forks, paper and plastic cups in rooms - it is all wasteful and not environmentally friendly. So, it is what it is and ok for a few night visit like mine. While the staff and hotel operations were good at this location, I can't award more than 3 stars since along the scale of the many hotels I've stayed in, this one is just average. Great for U of Michigan events!
Updated after checkout:
We had quite a bad experience with the manager during checkout. The rest of the staff was quite nice, but my family had a block of 3 rooms and my niece left a small amount of clothing in a plastic bag in the room on the floor. The bag disappeared. She inquired but they knew nothing. (We surmised maid through it away by accident) However when I inquired about it, a manager immediately stepped in to say that they were not responsible for anything in the room. She suggested that I (really) could claim to lose a $5,000 watch and they would not know if I was lying. She then denigrated my niece by saying she changed her story twice. Between the flee from liability and criticisms of us personally, I could only tell her what was missing: a simple apology. She just continued down the same path.. I've never been talked to this way in a hotel before and they really should worry a little more about their guests feelings instead of their lawyers'.

Room Tip: Away from ice machine and elevators. Perhaps on side not facing main road/I94
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank SalsabyJake
Reviewed 5 November 2012

As a member of the hotel industry, I can walk into any motel anywhere and find something wrong. The flaws here aren't worth mentioning. The two young men working the front desk when we checked in were friendly and efficient. After travelling with a toddler, the thought of putting her back into a car seat to go find dinner was not very applealing so the little weekday buffet was a very pleasant surprise. The room was clean and comfortable. Although we didn't have the opportunity to use them, we did check out the pool area and fitness center. The pool area was spacious and the fitness center would have met our needs.

Room Tip: If you prefer Coke to Pepsi, bring your own. The gas station next door is overpriced.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TCEcono
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 October 2012

The personalized assistance of the front desk staff was exceptionally helpful. We were there for our 50th class reunion on a Homecoming weekend and they (in particular Charmaine) couldn't have been more helpful when we experienced some transportation issues. We liked the breakfast and were pleasantly surprised to be offered a free dinner on our arrival day (thursday).
Our TV worked fine.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kathy J
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Very clean and friendly staff during a hectic time. The rooms were nice and comfy. The breakfast was also great and a lot to choose from. I have stayed at many other places and this one was really great. It is right off the freeway, which makes it easy to get in and out. Unfortunately, the TV was old and could use updating. Will stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family