“Accommodating? Not this Place of Lodging”

Comfort Inn & Suites University South
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I've stayed here a couple of times during business trips, each of these visits finding this place of lodging to be less than friendly and inviting. Its staff is just plain unhelpful.

Arriving after 1 am on my most recent visit, I found myself being woken around 8 am when staff was knocking at my door.

Perhaps in part because the facility was still undergoing a prolonged renovation, there was no Do Not Disturb sign to be placed on the door. In any regard, could there not have been a note to staff that this guest arrived very late?

The room was heavy with the odors of construction, mostly the scent of adhesives, it seemed. I had to open the window to relieve some of this unacceptable odor. There was construction dust collected around door openings in the hallway, carpeting and carpet remnants piled here and there. Wallpaper was partially hanging in some of the hallways, the demolition phase of the work apparently halted part-way toward completion.

The first and third floors are impacted by the "renovation", as is the parking area. Numerous large metal shipping containers occupy a significant area of the parking lot.

I phoned the front desk to request a reasonable extension on the checkout time (11 am) given my late arrival and early waking by staff.

In no uncertain terms, I was told I could stay until Noon -- an entire extra 60 minutes -- or I would be charged an additional night's stay. Again, I'd only been at the facility less than seven hours when I was woken by staff.

That's not very accommodating.

Should I again find myself needing a place to stay while in this city, I will be looking elsewhere. I urge that you do as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 57C

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We have stayed here before and were very happy. The last time we were here we stayed on the third floor and had no noise issues. This time we were on the first floor and it was very noisy. It sounded like the people above us were jumping off the bed to the floor . Try to get an upper floor room. We were close to the nice pool and hot tub. Our room was a suite with two rooms and a whirl pool tub. We did not use the tub. The room was very spacious. The lobby was cold because they had the door open to help vent the smell of the stain they were using. That was no problem. The breakfast was good and our family came down at three different times with all the items available each time. At checkout, we did mention that the people above us were very noisy until very late, and the desk clerk advised us next time to always call the front desk and let them know, and that she would check to see if they were still staying another night. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to get the third floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul S
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2013

Thank you for taking time to share the comments about your stay at our Comfort Inn & Suites. I understand that the renovation can cause some frustration, and I'm sorry that you experienced that.

We are undergoing this renovation to improve our facilities to better the experiences of all our future guests. The work is scheduled to finish on June 10th, in time for the summer and autumn events that Ann Arbor is so well known for.

Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at our Comfort Inn & Suites the next time your travel plans require lodging in the Ann Arbor area.

Yours,

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had heard there was construction in the hotel and was leery to book a room, but we did. The lobby is torn up and so is the breakfast area, and most of what seemed to be the first floor. I never heard any noise from it though. We were on the third floor and was shocked to walk into the hallway. It was literally freezing. Walking thru the halls we glanced at the thermostat and it was 57 degrees. It was blowing out cold air. We called the front desk and they said they knew but would let maintenance know. It never warmed up. They should have turned it off, probably would have been warmer. Needless to say, we turned up the heat in our room and it warmed up quickly.

We got a suite with a jacuzzi tub. Its a spacious room, one that probably needs updating, but still clean and nice. The tub was deep and perfect for relaxing. In addition, there is a large bath/shower and vanity. There is a separate living room area and small fridge/microwave. They also have direct TV and wifi. The internet is relatively slow, but still adequate. The beds and pillows are very comfortable and we slept well.

The staff was very nice and friendly, other than the heat issue, the only other complaint I had was the breakfast area. We went down for breakfast the first morning and were very disappointed. There was very little of anything left. The eggs were cold and the small spoonful I got was sad. The sausage pattie was greasy and cold. There was no fruit left at all, one of the spots for silverware was empty so we didnt get a fork but ended up eating with a spoon. The coffee carafe was at the bottom and ended up dispensing coffee grounds. I threw the cup away and went up to the room to make coffee. The final disappointment with the breakfast area is that the trash was overflowing. Not only was it full, it was all over the floor. The whole breakfast area had not been attended and it was obvious by the amount of empty food and overflowing trash. The second morning we went down and I got the last banana (at 7:30 am) and some coffee, there were unbussed tables and a filthy floor. Definitely find another alternative for breakfast, at least until construction is over!

If it werent for the staff and cleanliness of our room, I would have rated this much lower. Hopefully once the construction/remodeling is done, it will be much better.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi suite was large and spacious and clean. Jacuzzi is in the room and there is still a tub/sho...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karenl0323
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Comfort Inn & Suites during our renovation. While I'm glad that you were pleased with your room, please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointing breakfast experience.

I will make sure that corrective measures are taken to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. At Comfort Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent other, similar, problems in the future. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts. I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at our Comfort Inn & Suites the next time your travel plans require lodging in the Ann Arbor area.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed here because it was close to a craft show I was participating in over the weekend and it was just off the interstate. I had stayed here a previous year and it was fine. The hotel was in the midst of being renovated which didn't cause any real problem. The room was adequate, but showed signs of use, the furniture appeared old and worn, hopefully it will be changed during the renovations.

I was placed in the handicap room just around the corner from the check-in desk off the lobby (why?)... When I came back to the hotel that evening after setting up at my craft show (after 8pm), the lobby was filled with a very noisy group passing out T-shirts for something that they were sponsoring in the area that week-end. Needless to say, the noise easily carried down to the room where I was at. I did mention to the clerk that I had a 5:30 wake up call for the next morning, so I hoped that they wouldn't be out there making all that noise all night. I think that things finally got quieted down around 10:30 that evening.
The group was stationed in front of the breakfast room, which was pretty much empty, it may have been better for them to have been moved into the room to conduct their activity.

Room Tip: Don't get the handicapped room at the end of the hall if you want to have a quiet night's sl...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your most recent experience at our Comfort Inn & Suites. I am very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies the inconvenience the noise caused you.

I value your comments and we will use your input to better our service. At Comfort Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we also value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you again for sharing your concerns and I do hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Comfort Inn & Suites the next time your travel plans require lodging in the area.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Here's a cc of the note I sent to Comfort Inn after my stay here:

When we checked in on the 26th we were surprised to find that the hotel is undergoing serious renovations that include volumous clouds of dust, noise, and work crews. The lobby was partially usable as a result and the noise definitely interfered with a comfortable stay. We were not notified of this before reserving the room.

Further, I intentionally booked this hotel because the website said there was a free shuttle within a five mile radius. However, the first day I asked the agent six times how we might get downtown and she told us that our only options were to order a cab or take a bus. She just refused to make the shuttle available.

The next day the other amenity for which I always filter suitable hotesl -- the wifi -- was unavailable most of the day, making it difficult for me to conduct necessary business.

Finally, on the day we departed tried to use the dedicated Yellow Taxi phone in the lobby to call for an airport ride. The taxi service had a delay message that required I hit a button on the phone to remain on the line. As the phone has no numbers on it, I had to disconnect. I went inside and asked Sayem to please call a taxi. He told me that I have a cellphone and could call myself. He was not wrong -- I do have a cellphone -- but it was packed away and, frankly, I consider calling a taxi part of guest services. It was the day before when the agent offered to call me a taxi in lieu of offering the hotel shuttle for the 3 mile trip to downtown Ann Arbor. All in all, a disappointing experience. I have another CI stay booked next month for business travel (in NC) and have scheduled elsewhere as I cannot generally afford interruptions to work and sleep while traveling.

Regretfully,

Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank CoyaBean

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Comfort Inn & Suites. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments will be used to enact corrective measures to ensure that a similar situation does not occur in the future.

If you have any other concerns or comments, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 27 February 2013

Decent hotel. Rooms older but clean. Good, but not great beds. Breakfast room was undergoing renovation. Breakfast average Comfort Inn. Fast Internet.
Snowed 4-6" wet inches Mon evening - ended by 9 pm. Parking lot not plowed as of 8:00 am Tue.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
msayed, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites University South, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary wifi and breakfast. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the late snow removal from our lot.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure that a comparable situation does not occur in the future. At Comfort Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent any similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Comfort Inn & Suites the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) stayed here on a Thursday night after we attended a girls michigan basketball game. Our room was very clean and all that we could need for a nights stay. We used the pool and hit tub and both were clean and well maintained...we all enjoyed it! The breakfast the next morning was good, just your usual hotel breakfast. Eggs, sausage patties, waffle maker and cereals, pastries, bagels, English muffins. Juice and coffee and milk. It was good and we will stay here in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013

We appreciate that you took the time to share your comments. Feedback from our guests is always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
I'm glad the cleanliness of our rooms met your standards, and that you were able to take advantage of the ammenities we offer.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to your next stay at Comfort Inn & Suites!

Maggie Sayed - GM