“Awesome customer service”

Comfort Inn & Suites University South
Ranked #22 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I had an issue with having the wrong date booked and needed help in getting a refund because I was booked as a "no show". They took care of it promptly and offered to rebook my reservation in the future. Steven Dally was the person who took care of me and was very understanding, accommodating and gave me awesome customer service. In situations like this, you sometimes expect push back, but he was very positive when I told him what the problem was and offered a quick solution. I told him I would be definitely remember this when booking another room in Ann Arbor next time. I highly recommend this hotel based on how they respect their customers.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I had a weekend reservation at this hotel for 11 months and spoken to them several times about a room change, including twice that week. Ann Arbor sells out on football weekends. I had changed my contact info to my cell phone since I was traveling. My cell phone number was on the reminder reservation they sent me so they definitely had the right number. When I tried to check in with 2 other people, after midnight since I had a guaranteed reservation till 7AM the next day according to their reservation email, they had cancelled my reservation and gave my room to someone else!. They had tried to run my card at 9:30 that night, they said, and had a problem. However, they did NOT even TRY to call my cell as the contact number they had. They called my home in CA!!! They cancelled my reservation and left 3 of us stranded in a sold out city! The night clerk helped find a room in ANOTHER CITY. We got to bed at 4AM. That hotel, a MUCH NICER PLACE, cost me an additional $238. I tried to call the hotel GM for 3 days after I returned home and was ignored. He had been told what happened the next day, Sat and purposely would NOT return my calls until I filed a formal complaint with Choice Hotels. He didn't care what happened, that they didn't use the contact number given, left us stranded and cost me an additional $238. He offered one night stay at his hotel, that's all. I went back to Choice Hotels and raised the level of complaint. They only offered $50 in coupons! When I refused, they raised their offer to $100 in Choice Hotel coupons. I had to spend an additional $238 because of their mistake. In addition the supervisor I spoke with at Choice Hotels also did not care what had happened, even stating that if there is a card problem, they have NO RESPONSIBILITY to even try to contact you!!! They just give away your room! Calling, he said, was just a courtesy, He didn't care that they had called THE WRONG NUMBER! Neither the hotel GM who had ignored my calls, nor Choice Hotels corporate took ANY responsibility for what happened! They just DON'T CARE about customers.
Stay away from this hotel and other Choice Hotels because if you have any problems, they will IGNORE YOU, and take NO RESPONSIBILTY for their mistakes or the consequences..

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank R B
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This hotel is located close to the freeway. It seems to be newly renovated as well and a clean and inviting hotel to stay while on the road for business. The Front desk staff ( Nicole ) was very helpful with hotel layout and local entertainment as well.

Kustom

1  Thank Chad1010
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I had a few qualms about staying at this hotel. I have had a lot of bad experiences at hotels especially ones in the mid-west. This stay proved to be one of the best I have had in many years. One reason being was that when I arrived I was under a great deal of stress. But when I walked and was welcomed so warmly by the attendant, I almost instantly felt the stress was lifted. She was so helpful. When I needed more towels, I walked down there Nicole offered to bring them up for me. Just a great experience, I felt I'd remark on.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This hotel is located near the Briarwood Mall and is about 4 miles south of the University of Michigan campus. The positives are that the facilities seem to have been updated recently, and the free breakfast buffet is good. My room was comfortable enough, though I found the extremely low water pressure in the shower to be a source of frustration during my 3-day stay. Like other travelers, I also found my interactions with the front desk staff to be less than ideal as they couldn't answer basic questions about local transportation, claimed they were unable to produce an invoice upon checkout, and insisted on photocopying my credit card. I think this is fine place to stay, but don't expect much in the way of service or amenities.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I stayed here for about a week while I was looking for a job. The room was cleaned very well every time I requested it and the cleaning people were friendly. The service I received from the people at the front desk was good too. One young lady, I think her name was Nicole, helped me out changing the batteries in the tv remote and even changed my room when I requested. Overall a swell experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I checked into this hotel, and found out I had a room on the first floor. As a single woman traveler who likes to sleep with the window open, I asked for a second or third floor room. Nicole at the front desk told me that it was impossible for her to change my room since I booked online. She then said there was only one other room with two queen beds on the third floor, and that it "is in a bad part of the hotel...you wouldn't want to be there." She told me that "this place is safe, you'll be fine." I begrudgingly took the room as assigned even though I have NEVER had a hotel staff person say it's impossible to change a room, and settled in for the night.

Two hours after I checked in, I hear voices outside my door and rattling, as if someone was trying to get into my room. I opened the door to see a very confused older couple who had also been booked into my room. They went back to the front desk and a second employee gave them a different room. I then got a call from Nicole asking me what my last name was. REALLY? She didn't say "This is Nicole from the front desk." She just said "What's the last name of the person staying in this room?" without identifying herself. I didn't feel safe with that so I physically went to the front desk. She said that there was a mixup and even though she had my reservation and had, two hours earlier, scanned my credit card and checked my license, she had somehow removed me from the computer records and didn't know who I was. I said my name, and then showed her my license. She then "corrected" my pronunciation of my last name, and assured me that this time, there would now be a record of me being checked into my room.

The facilities are nice enough, the location is right off the highway and next to a Red Roof Inn and a Burger King, but with a front desk staff person that has no idea how to do her job and, in fact, endangers my safety by PUTTING OTHER PEOPLE IN MY HOTEL ROOM, I would not come back here.

Room Tip: Ask when you book for a specific type of room. Apparently they don't believe in changing rooms...