“Excellent Hotel in Ann Arbor! Near the university too!”

TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Ohio
“Excellent Hotel in Ann Arbor! Near the university too!”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were recently in town for an event at the Michigan Theater and found this hotel. It is directly across from a large mall and dining options. The University of MI is just a short drive away (few miles from the hotel). The room felt like a modern apartment! The the kitchen area was stocked with silver wear, plates, pots, and a full stove and dishwasher. The stainless steel appliances added to the modern feel. Beds were comfy and the desk was great for sitting and completing work. The sofa expands into a bed which is great in case you need to make extra sleeping arrangements based on how many are in a room. Breakfast was basic with bread, milk, waffle maker, cereal, and oatmeal packets. Would be nice to have fresh oatmeal. Its the first hotel I've been to that had string cheese as an option at breakfast, which is great! That is a good grab and go snack for kids and adults. I would definitely stay here again!

2 Thank 4GTravels
Brittany V, at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Hello 4GTravels! I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review on your experience with us. It was great to read that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities that the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor has to offer. We get excited about introducing our guests to the brand that we love! Our team looks forward to welcoming you back again the next time you are in the area.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Brittany Villa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had a great stay. In town for a hockey game.
Room small for a family of 4.
Hotel staff was great, they planned a leprechaun visit tour room while we were out. They loved it.
The staff is ahead of the game.
Breakfast bar a little smaller than others.

2 Thank michiael
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello Michiael! Thank you for your kind words and feedback from your experience with us. It was great to read that your family enjoyed the visit from "Lewey the Leprechaun". I must say that our team enjoyed it too! We have fun while providing our memorable guest service. I cant thank you enough for giving us the opportunity to serve you as our guest. The next time you and your family are in the area, we hope to have you back!
Have a wonderful day!
East Jordan, Michigan
Reviewed 8 March 2014

While the rooms are a little on the expensive side, the clean, comfortable and family-friendly atmosphere more than makes up for the higher price. We stayed for two nights and enjoyed every moment. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

1 Thank Mary W
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thank you for your kind words, Jayme M! I sincerely appreciate you taking notice to the great value of the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor. Our team works hard to give every guest a memorable experience and we are so glad that we did so with your stay. Next time you and your family are in town, we would love to welcome you back!
Thanks again and Go Blue!
Romulus, Michigan
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I'm back for the third time. I spent my birthday here in January,and the staff was great at my
beck and call. Today 3/1/2014 I'm back with a family from my organization (nonprofit) and they
are amazed at the staff, the rooms, the breakfast, they have Never seen a hotel like this. This place just helped this family want to be able to become self - sufficient sooner and treat their
family to this type of hotel. The kids are having a blast in the pool, I am so glad I could share
the TPS with this family, I never would have taken them to any other hotel, loving this one the
way I do.

Room Tip: I stayed on lower and upper level, recommend both.
2 Thank Barbara S
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Hi Barbara! Thank you so much for writing another glowing review on your experience with us.I was pleased to read that the family you brought with you enjoyed their stay as well.Our team takes pride in our hotel and in making our guests our #1 priority. I cant thank you enough for introducing them to the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor.
We hope to see you and the grand kids soon!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Lets start with the great things about this hotel. Namely the front desk staff, who were always ready to assist with cleaning the snow off cars, carry luggage in, retrieve needed items, i.e. extra coffee, shampoo, towels, etc. down to making a fresh pot of coffee as guests requested. I stayed here for 15 days, and by day 3 all the staff knew me by first name, and always welcomed me with a wonderful, cheerful smile, no matter how hard a day they had. Specifically especially gracious and kind were Hannah, the overnight gal, Erica, the breakfast gal, Josh, their swing shift (BTW, my favorite, of all) Glen, and Alex, day time shifts. The room #421 as good, with almost a full kitchen, with all the cooking supplies, dishes, utensils etc., that one would need for such a long stay, lacking however was an oven, and the stove only had two burners. It overlooked the parking lot and the neighboring hotel, Hilton Garden Inn. Unforunately during my stay we experienced three horrendous snow storms, rain and freezing temperatures, but the staff and maintenance tried to keep the parking lot clear as much as possible. They get an A++++ for their attempts, but sometimes mother nature can be very wicked! It was nice that the front desk handed out snow scrapers to the guests as they needed and always ready at the entrance was a stand full of very large umbrellas. Nice touch! As will all Marriotts they have a board where they post the updated daily weather, and often a pleasant saying for the day. The staff that attended to this didn't just write a temperature and forecast, every day there was a new pleasant saying with some delightful artistry work to go with it. Look, on gloomy days such as these 15 were, that was a nice touch! As with all Marriotts the bedding was comfortable, the heat controls more than adequate, and the hotel itself was well kept and clean.
Now lets talk about the down side of this property specifically. The breakfast and the breakfast serving areas, eating areas were TERRIBLE! One little serving area about the size of a walk in closet, where the only things available were boiled eggs, yogurt, string cheese, and of course the packaged muffins, toast, oatmeals, cold cereals etc. The only hot thing available was the waffles. Make your own, with only one waffle maker, and a hotel of 98 rooms? No room to maneuver around in the serving area. They really need to do something about this. While each suite has a kitchen, I prefer a nice hot breakfast, already made, and save my cooking for the evenings. Finally the other down side of the hotel is it's housekeeping staff. It seemed that they did as little as possible in my room, changing the bedding only as I requested, and taking out the garbage and new linen. Dusting was practically non-existant, as was vacuuming. After five days of having the same stuff on the floor, between the beds, which is a main traffic area, it was evident that this part of their staff could care less about the comfort and quality of a guests' stay. The hotel is directly across from a large shopping mall, and nicely situated by the highway.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front of the hotel are bright. Request a room away from the ice machine, since it...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank AngelaHansen84116
Brittany V, Front Desk Agent at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear Angela,

Thank you so much for the glowing review of your stay with us here at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor. We appreciated having you here as our guest and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us here. I know that I, as well as the rest of the front desk and breakfast team, appreciate the compliments on the level of service we offered you.

I do want to extend my warmest apologies about the housekeeping service you received during your stay wih us. This is rather unusual for our housekeeping team as I know that they always work diligently to exceed guest expectations and it's disappointing that this did not happen during your stay. I assure you that our management team takes any of our guest feedback seriously and this matter will be looked into.

In regards to breakfast, we are continuing to make improvements and ensure the breakfast that we provide meets the standards and expections of Marriott and will also take this opportunity to share any feedback we receive.

Once again, Angela, it was a delight to have you here as our guest. We look forward to having you back again here in the near future.

Warmest Regards,

Josh Ross
Front Desk Agent
Singapore
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I booked through the hotel's own website months in advance and had a confirmed booking for a room with 2 queen beds (2-night-stay).

When we checked in around 6:30pm on the scheduled day of arrival, Front desk advised us they had given our room away and offered 2 King bedded rooms to us for free. We took one room as we were tired and it was very cold outside and we did not have a car.

We wanted a room with 2 beds, NOT a free room.

The Manager on Duty never apologized to us in person. (No attempt was ever made to contact us re the change prior to our arrival.) IF you do not wish to be at a place where management is dismissive, don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JCheng
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Thank you for providing us feedback with your experience, JCheng. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced at check in. I am sorry that offering the two free rooms did not meet your needs. In order for us to learn from your experience I would like to discuss the details further. Please contact me directly ( 743)585-0204.
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 17 February 2014

This is by far the nicest hotel we have stayed at in Ann Arbor. Most Ann Arbor hotels are run down and "used." This hotel was clean and new. The king studio room is only adequate for two people. Once the sofa is pulled out there is no room to walk; one needs to climb on the bed to get to the bathroom (this is a Marriott issue). The staff at this hotel were so friendly and provided excellent service! Wifi connection was great. Breakfast was adequate and well tended. Obviously the secret is out because the hotel is already booked for the UM - Penn State game weekend in October 2014.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Gtenaj
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a glowing review, Gtenaj! Thank you for providing us with feedback from your experience. It is our goal to exceed all of our guests expectations and we are so glad that we did so with your stay! We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.
Please continue to share the secret!
Thanks again,