“Nice with nitpicks... If only...”

TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our two-night stay at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor was mostly pleasant. The hotel is clean and feels well cared for and safe. Most people would be very happy staying here, feeling they received a good value with good service.

Our nitpicks, unfortunately, are things that don't have easy fixes.

First nitpick: the construction. We stayed on the third floor and had guests staying above us who stayed up very late and had very heavy footfalls, even running at times. If you can deal with thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk-thunk at 1 a.m. on a Tuesday night, congratulations, this hotel will be 5 out of 5 for you. If not, you will be like us, and feel the "if only" feeling we felt. Our room was next to the stairwell on the north side of the hotel and across from the ice machine but we had more noise issues from the fourth floor.

Second nitpick: our two queen studio room's layout. The shower and toilet were closest to the hall, with a door, connected to the sink/mirror area, which opened directly into the living/sleeping area, right next to one of the beds. Want to get up early and wash and blow dry your hair without disturbing a sleeping roommate? Impossible here. Again, "if only" the bathroom opened across from the kitchen area and away from the sleeping area.

Ending on high notes, the kitchen area was well-stocked with quality drinkware and dishes, and a wide variety of implements and storage (!) options. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel was incredibly clean and fresh.

And lastly, this was our first trip to Ann Arbor, and we were super impressed with the sense of civility and order and purpose in town. We've been to so many college towns and Ann Arbor is right up there with the best of them. Don't hesitate to visit!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Hello AgingWanderer! Thank you for your feedback and your kind words. Thanks for taking notice to the cleanliness of the hotel. It was also great to read that you enjoyed our fully equipped kitchens. I was disappointed to read that you were not 100% satisfied with your stay with us. I apologize for the noise that you experienced from the room above you. Our front desk staff is very proactive and would have been able to address this issue immediately. I can understand why the vanity area outside of the bathroom may have made it difficult if you have an early riser. Many guests find it convenient because two people can get ready at once. I really think that you would enjoy the Two Bedroom Suite layout. The bathroom is located outside of the bedrooms.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. I travel quite frequently, and this is easily in my Top 3. The reason for my travel was in Monroe, but I opted to stay at this hotel (35 miles each way from Monroe), and I don't regret my decision.

Was warmly greeted by Jenna at the front desk. She had me checked in, with all of my requests met, in record time. The lobby was very nice, with newspapers and fridges full of refreshments. My suite was terrific. Absolutely clean, and very spacious. Door opened to the kitchenette, and a double-door closet on the opposite wall. Full-sized fridge that ran so quietly that I couldn't hear it. 2-burner electric cooktop. Stainless-steel full-sized dishwasher. A nice supply of dinnerware, silverware, utensils & cookware. Large (1200 watt?) microwave over the cooktop. Sleeper sofa (didn't use it). So much storage space !! Every piece of furniture that had a lamp or TV had 3 or 4 drawers. The desk had an ingenious feature: a large pull-out table on casters that could be relocated anywhere in the suite. Nice bathroom. Soft-close lid on the toilet. One of those lovely shower heads that we all crave in our homes. The tub had a non-skid finish, and I felt safe in it. Clean. Everything was clean...beyond clean. The king bed was very comfortable, and had a variety of pillows. The A/C unit was so quiet. I wish the window had the ability to open, but that's a minor complaint.
More about the staff: Alex and Josh were wonderful to us. Accommodated everything we needed, to include an extended check-out. Every member of the staff (sorry I didn't get housekeeper names) was friendly and helpful.
The grounds are lovely. There is a walkway to exercise your dog. There are lush gardens around ponds that are along the sidewalk nearby. Briarwood Mall is across the street. Whole Foods grocery is 2.5 miles away. Very close to I-94, but noise from the highway was not audible in my room. In fact, this hotel is built in such a way that I didn't hear anything...not even doors slamming.
Just a couple of things that weren't "stellar": the corridor on the 4th floor was very warm/stuffy. Not sure if that was the case on other floors. The complimentary breakfast was minimal. The typical waffle machine, cereal, and some refrigerated stuff. I am on a special diet and nothing other than the yogurt was within my dietary needs. The price/night was not cheap (over $120), but for the amenities, size of the suite, and the upkeep (did I mention that this hotel is VERY clean?), it was worth it. Thanks for a nice stay !

Room Tip: as always, a room on the top floor will prevent "foot-fall" noise from the room above.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thanks for the review, Rebecca! I loved reading about your experience with us from check in to check out. I loved even more that it was a great one! Jenna, Josh, and Alex have all been recognized for their wonderful service. I have talked to maintenance about the fourth floor being stuffy, they are addressing the issue. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

The rooms are bright, airy, comfortable and spacious, including a little kitchenette with a full sized refrigerator. The grounds are lush surrounded by a greenbelt, grilling area, and pond. The location is convenient to the freeway and on the perimeter of the Briarwood Mall, a short drive to the U of M campus area, fine dining and boutique shopping. The hotel staff was attentive and service was impeccable. I highly recommend this property and will make it my hotel of choice on my next visit to A2. Go Blue!!

Room Tip: Select a room with a view of the pond.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a review, A2Les! Our team works hard to exceed all of our guests expectations and it was great to read that we did so with your stay. I cant thank you enough for your recommendation of the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor and for making it your A2 home!
See you soon and Go Maize!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I came here for a weekend get away. The hotel couldn't have been in a better location! We were able to walk to the mall to do some shopping then come back and relax in our room. We were amazed at how nice and big our room was and that it had a kitchen with all of the necessities in it! I don't think I've ever dealt with such wonderful staff! They always had a smile on their faces when we walked past the front desk. They had such a variety for the continental breakfast...it was like no other hotel! I will definitely be recommending this hotel to anyone and everyone that I know! I can't wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for a GLOWING review, Stacie M! I am so glad that you and your husband enjoyed a weekend getaway at the TownePlace Suites by Marriott Ann Arbor. I loved reading that our team has been the best that you have encountered. Each member of our team truly takes pride in exceeding our guests expectations. I will be sure to share your review with the rest of the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay with our two kiddos and dog on a long road trip. The hotel seems to be pretty new... Either that or it is really well maintained (or both).

We had a ground floor room, close to the pool. The room was really nice with a little kitchenette (large refrig/freezer) and huge spacious closet. Beds were fairly comfy and there was also a nice sized table with four chairs.

There is a nice area outside with some trails to walk your dog, and the hotel is also near the mall, which is a great place in the early morning to throw a ball, etc for your furry friend.

The included breakfast in the morning was great with lots of options.

The biggest negative for us was the $100 pet fee (ouch!). It was a really nice place to stay and I would actually seek out townplace again in the future if not traveling with a pet. But with one the fee is a little much.

Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for the review, Kortney R! I am so glad that the Studio Suite was comfortable for you and your family. Thank you for taking notice to the functionality and spaciousness of the room. You were right in recognizing that the hotel is new, we just opened in October of 2012. I understand why you thought the pet fee was a little much for only staying one night. Being an all suite hotel, most of our guests are staying more than five nights and the same fee is applied. We hope to have you back again in the future!
Have a great day!

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now. Each time the stay has been great. It is a fairly new facility (I think about a year and a half old). The rooms are bright and spacious, clean and comfortable. The location is good, right on the perimeter of the Briarwood Mall. It is a short drive to the UMich campus area.

Breakfast is adequate. Nothing amazing, but that's OK, I am not looking for anything massive.

My son is an incoming freshman at UMich, I expect to be staying here consistently for the next 4 years.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Hello mw147! Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was awesome to read that you have found your 'home' when in Ann Arbor visiting your son. I completely agree with you on our convenient location. Being only 2.5 miles from the downtown area and right next to Briarwood Mall, our location is great for any type of traveler.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.
Go Blue!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

If you're looking for a great place to stay - that's more of a home away from home, with an accommodating staff, impeccably clean rooms, and a convenient location, let you must stay at the TownePlace Suites of Ann Arbor. I am here for business purposes quite often, and this is my Marriott Hotel of choice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Brittany V, Sales Coordinator at TownePlace Suites Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words, Skystar2! I am so glad that you can refer to us as your
'home away from home'. We understand that there are many hotels to choose from in the Ann Arbor area and we are so glad that we are your choice while here for work. Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Have a wonderful weekend and see you soon!