Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Wife and I stayed here for a night in March 2013 while visiting family members.

This is a stunning new facility and I was really impressed with the layout and appearance of the lobby level. Check-in was quick and we were assigned a standard room on the third floor.

There were plenty of outlets in the room and it was clean (except for what we later found) and quiet. Mattress was a little hard and my back hurt somewhat in the morning. But quickly resolved itself.

I didn't see it until the next morning but there was a glob of hair from a previous guest on the shower floor. Wife actually discovered it and we made a note to mention this upon checking out. Kirstin at the front desk didn't even flinch and comped the room without any question or discussion. I was not expecting this and it was a nice gesture. Kirstin stated that they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee (a la Hampton Inn) and my complaint was certainly grounds for not assessing the charge.

I appreciated the quick and professional way in which my concerns were handled. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2013

Hello dave1013,

Thank you for joining us at the Hilton Garden Inn this past month. I am so pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy our new property. I have shared your feedback with my entire team regarding the hair incident to be sure this does not happen again. It is good to hear that you were happy with the resolution you received and that Kirsten took care of you.

We look forward to the opportunity to have you at the hotel in the future.

Best,

Reviewed 20 March 2013

No unpleasant surprises; compared to other Hilton properties (and other HGIs specifically) this hotel met my expectations. My 4th floor room faced the pond behind the hotel; you can also see a bit of I-94. I did not hear any highway noise. A nice feature is having a comfortable chair and ottoman to relax/read in. Room has a mini fridge. No tub in bathroom; just a practical walk-in shower. Well functioning climate controls kept the room nice and warm. Nice feature is the wood-like laminate flooring in the bathrooms, room entranceway, and lobby; it provides a warm, unique touch not seen often in hotels. Staff was friendly and attentive. The bar is open until 11:00pm; the same with room service. The restaurant I believe closes at 10:00pm. Location of this property is very good. If you're inclined to visit downtown Ann Arbor or the Michigan campus, they're only 10 minutes away.

Room Tip: North side away from I-94
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Keystone_Traveler

Hi Keystone_Traveler,

I am so happy to hear that we met your expectations during your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor and that you had the chance to really relax and enjoy your room. I will be sure to share your feedback with the rest of the team.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you into the hotel the next time you are in the Ann Arbor area.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

I can definately see why this is the number one rated hotel in Ann Arbor. We stayed for one night on March 16th and everything was perfect. The front desk staff were very nice and personalable, the room was clean and the fresh warm cookies that are served in the lobby were such a nice touch. This will definately be where we stay when we come back to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Diane S

Hello msolberg,

Thanks so much for all of the nice comments about our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to welcoming you back soon...and we will be sure to have some of those cookies ready for you!

See you soon,

Reviewed 15 March 2013

The hotel was great. It was very welcoming with coffee, hot water for tea and warm cookies as you entered. The lobby was very clean and check in was easy. We had asked about changing rooms away from the highway and they were very accommodating and NICE about it. The room was beautiful and very clean. The pool and hot tub were clean. The tile is a little slippery, not made for running around best to ensure everyone walks or wears beach shoes. We had added on breakfast to our room and breakfast was very good. We would definitely go again.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank debwo
Christina B, Director of Sales at Hilton Garden Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Hi debwo,

It sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us! I will be sharing your feedback with my team to let them know how much you enjoyed your time here. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review for us. We look forward to welcoming you into the hotel again sometime sooon.

Reviewed 14 March 2013

Ann Arbor seems to cater to the family traveler offering very few luxury hotels, but a plethora of extended stay-style properties. The Hilton Garden Inn is one of the more pleasant properties. The hotel is very clean and appears to be relatively new. The staff members are friendly and accommodating. The pool was closed when I stayed.

The hotel offers an OK gym with clean equipment, but not much beyond a treadmill, a weight bench, and a set of dumbells.

Overall, a clean safe place to stay in the city.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TXBeachPatrol

Hello TXBeachPatrol,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review for the hotel. We are so happy that you had the opportunity to join us and enjoy our hotel. In regards to the feedback that you gave on the fitness center - is there any particular equipment that you would have liked to see?

I hope you will have the chance to join us again.

Have a great day,

Reviewed 11 March 2013

Me and my girls basketball team stayed here for a fun over-night. I chose this place for the pool and for how close it was to Briarwood Mall. All in all, its a nice place, but I still don't know if I will come back, for a few reasons.

The hotel in itself was build from the ground up and very gorgeous on the inside (my color choice for the outside would of been different) and you can tell from the very new smell and with how modern all the furniture and decor is. The staff were very nice and even the room service gentleman I encountered was incredibly friendly and funny. One lovely lady at check-in told me the incidental authorization would be $25 per room, but when I checked my statement, it was $50 per room. Either they aren't on the same page or I got an authorization that was double without their knowledge. The lobby was very hot for some reason. Almost to the point of being uncomfortable.The rooms were very nice. I did have to turn the heat way down as the thermostat said 79 degrees! I especially liked that there are cubbies in the bathroom counter with a hair dryer and small hand towels. The cubby was the perfect size to keep my bathroom bag and cleared up space on the counter. BUT, definitely ask for a room that does not face the highway! Not that it was a loud roar, but you can definitely hear the highway at night.

The pool seemed great at first. Fun kid activities like basketball, a small slide, things to play with in the water without an additional charge. It was great..... Till you step onto that tile! My 3-1/2 year old daughter was with us as well to go swimming and I couldn't believe how slippery the tile was. I was next to her the whole time, but still felt like I had to hold her hand when she was outside the water. Even some of my basketball girls commented on it, so I told them all to be extremely careful. The girls wanted to swim again a little later at night and I was hesitant to say yes, but I did. Not even 15 minutes in, a little girl, not much older then my daughter who was there earlier in the day, completely slipped and cracked her head on the tile! Me and another mom were very fearful and asked the parents if she was okay. We went back and sat down, only to see that the towel drying off this little girl was filled with blood. The EMT's came fast and it seemed like the desk staff handled it very well. I definitely commend them on that. I really hope that little girl is okay :( I would highly suggest that they look into a different kind of surface, and FAST!

Breakfast was nice. All your standard continental foods and some hot items that were cook to order. The girls really liked that part. But really, 12 and under doesn't eat for free??? Not even 10 and under??? I asked for a paper in the morning, but the desk said that they didn't have any and I could go to the gas station to get one. Thought it was complimentary???

Like I said, all in all, its a nice place. I can't say that I'd be back, though. I'd be too fearful for me, my daughter and other people's safety when it comes to the pool area and it just didn't seem like they had the amenities as some of the other area hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the highway, and be extremely careful in the pool area!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank David L

Hello Rachael V,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. I have shared your comments with the rest of my team and the hotel and we will be looking into all of the feedback that you have left. We enjoyed having your and your team at the hotel.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

The hotel was very clean and the staff was very welcoming. The main reason we selected this hotel was for a chance to let our daughter swim. The pool is great for kids except one thing, the slippery tile surrounding the pool. I saw many children slip and fall and get hurt that were not running or acting unruly but simply walking. My daughter is 4 and I made sure I held her hand the entire time she was outside of the pool and on the tile surrounding the pool. She still managed to keep slipping while walking and if I had not held her hand to catch her she would have fallen and cracked her head. My husband and I even slipped a couple of times while walking but managed to catch ourselves. I have to say that we will not be back again as my daughter is going to want to swim and I feel their pool area is not safe. Overall the hotel was great just not a kid friendly swimming pool.

Room Tip: Don't pick a highway facing room due to the noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank bkrystia

Hi bkrystia,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a comment regarding your recent stay. We take all of the feedback that we receive seriously and will be looking further into the pool area.

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Have a wonderful day,