“Good, but not Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Gratzi

Gratzi
Reserve with OpenTable
Gratzi is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 591 Restaurants in Ann Arbor
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Gratzi, an elegant Italian restaurant with distinct style, was founded in downtown Ann Arbor, Mich. in December 1987. Formerly the Orpheum Theater, which screened the most popular movies of the day in the 1930s, Gratzi maintains the flair of the dramatic history still preserved today in the restaurant's elegant décor and ambience. Seated above Gratzi's bar is a grand sculpture of Orpheus himself, the great poet and musician, overlooking dining room guests, while a beautifully painted Renaissance-style mural depicting an ancient bacchanal reinforces the indulgent and purely pleasurable atmosphere. Indulge in the purely pleasurable atmosphere and savor unique flavors of regional Italian cuisine and wine.
Los Angeles
“Good, but not Great!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

My colleagues wanted to impress me during my first evening while in the Detroit area and brought me for dinner at this impressive restaurant in the Ann Arbor Village. The genre was classic, with a busy bar and a warm and friendly decor. The receptionists and young servers were very professional, attentive and were actually the best part of the restaurant, The steaks and sides were above average, but not exceptional. The Caesar salad was only average and I was disappointed by the short pours on the Vodka Martinis. Restaurants should not worry so much about how much money they can squeeze out of the customers on their bar tab, but should be generous knowing that most customers will notice the difference and usually compensate by promoting the restaurant and being equally generous with gratuity. This is a very good restaurant, but falls short of a great restaurant. Although the service was excellent, the food and beverage department needs some help to compete with many other five-star Steak houses in the greater U.S. that we’ve experienced.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank rohbogen

• Korean first
Chicago
“Excellent service and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We had a party of about 14 for dinner, and the staff was very attentive and accommodating. Very classy in every way. Salads entrees (tuna), apps (mussels) and pasta (gnocchi with Italian sausage) all excellent. Beautiful tiramisu as well. Parking in back lot or on street if you are lucky.

• Visited May 2014
Langhorne, PA
“Lovely restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We had a delightful meal with excellent service at Gratzi. The menu was creatively gourmet Italian, with an excellent and reasonable wine list. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive, but not overly hovering. Would highly recommend.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank HappyTraveler016
Detroit, Michigan
“Great Restaurant and Atmosphere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I think this is a great restaurant and the food was just about Awesome! The atmosphere is very nice and upscale. My wife and I were out on a get away and this fit the boot.
We started out with a great porchetta wrapped shrimp appetizer (great), and then a salad (outstanding), our entrees arrived and they were just awesome, I had the beef tenderloin on top of a think slice of goat cheese, thick tomato, and a portobello mushroom. with a sauce and onion straws on top. The taste was a great mixture and I will be back to get.
My wife entree was a shrimp dish and she said it was just awesome.

We had a cup of coffee afterwards which had a great taste and the cannoli was just outstanding.(very creative way to do) The coffee could have been warmer though and we never did get a request for a refill. Our Waiter seemed more involved with the table of 4 near us vs. our table of 2. My wife said that I was being to hard on him but i don't think so. I have had better service from places that are half the price. He almost seemed like he was not really interested in us for some reason. My bill was over a $110 and my tip was 30% yet I feel that he did not achieve their Mission statement. I will be back and will request to sit up top near the window with my wife. The service was not a deal breaker just thought it could have been better.
That's why I can't give 5 stars but 4 will do. Maybe next time I can give them a 5. Hope so!

If your out on Main Street this is the pace to stop, it's not cheap but you will enjoy your experience (I'm just really picky) Gratzi!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Questtrek
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

This is a great restaurant: The good food, pleasant ambience, and fine service all contribute to a wonderful dining experience. My husband claims it has THE BEST Eggplant Parmesan, even better than mine, but it is only served at lunch. I like the Pappardelle with Short Ribs, and the Veal Scallopine---delish. And, I LOVE the coffee; they use local company,Great Lakes Coffee, and it is the perfect complement to Gratzi's wonderful deconstructed cannoli. I would highly recommend Gratzi's.

• Visited December 2013