“Tasteless, tasteless tasteless!”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I have been to Seva when they were located on Liberty a few years back. The atmosphere and food remind me of a coney island. Cheap quality, so called vegetarian food. The place is even set up like a coney island. I ordered the peanut stir fry, and my guest had the vegetarian burrito. I initially asked the waitress if the soy was of non-GMO quality, and she stated it was not. The vegetables were overcooked, and I found a piece of tofu in it. Huh? My dish did not contain any tofu! Both dishes were virtually tasteless. They had a habanero sauce in a condiment tin. This was so watered down, why bother to shake it on? Tasteless, tasteless tasteless! Very disappointed. Overpriced vegetarian coney island food. The service needs work as well.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

My friend and I have come here many times over the years. I felt it was better some years ago and has kind of gone in a reverse trend. The last time I went, (July 2013), after my friend and I looked at the menu...we just left and went somewhere else. Nothing looked inviting.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

We went to try the new location of a long time favorite, Seva, which usually has excellent vegetarian fare. The restaurant has moved from its eclectic downtown location to the west side. The more modern setting has been soften by retaining a nice built out wall of the stained glass from the old restaurant. The long rectangular arrangement with relatively flat ceilings makes it noisy though. Also, they have a long bank of high chair seats in case you come in and can't get a table (this is separate from the bar where they also serve dinner). Honestly, neither looked very comfortable to me, so we waited for a table. Got a nice spot by the window after a 10 minute wait. Unfortunately, it was in the corner near the front door. While they have put up a wall separating the dining area from the entry, it is not wind proof, thus, everytime someone entered the restaurant, we got a cold blast of air. Not very pleasant on a cold spring Ann Arbor day. We asked for the cuban bean soup as an appetizer (a daily special) and cilantro peanut stir fry and phad thai for the main course (server came back later because she did not write down the order to check what my wife ordered). Turns out that the special wasn't being served until they finished a different soup (spicy chickpea?). Why put the cuban bean soup on the menu if you're not offering it and why not have the other soup on the menu if you are selling it? I requested a cote du rhone but they were out of this, so we went with a Malbec. About ten minutes later, a single glass arrived rather than the bottle that was requested. The server pleasantly took it back and went to get the bottle. Ten minutes later it arrived. So, now we have been in the restaurant 10 minutes to get a table, 5 minutes to get a server and another 20 minutes to get the wine. After waiting another 20 minutes, our meals arrived peanut-cilantro stir fry and portabella mushrooms. At this point, after waiting almost an hour an getting the wrong order, I was getting disgusted. I told the server this wasn't right and she apologized and said it was really noisy so she didn't hear me correctly. Well, let's see, glass of wine instead of a bottle, forgot and had to recheck my wife's order and completely botched up mine. Lots of mistakes for a noisy restaurant. My wife began eating hers but felt badly I had to wait so took her time eating it. The stir fry was excellent (we have had this at the old Seva many times). After waiting ten minutes I went to the men's room hoping that would induce the appearance of my meal (it did). Turns out that it was the vinegar based Phad Thai of the north which I am not real fond of. That was my fault for not asking, so I won't ding then for this. I also will say the server realized the extent of screw ups and asked the manager to remove the cost of my meal, which they did. Nevertheless, the evening was a disappointment. The food has always been great here and the free and easy parking coupled with being on "our side" of town made me really look forward to the dinner; however, the noise, the cold draft, the extremely long wait (another couple that was seated just after us paid by the time I received my meal and we only ordered one course), the mix-up on wine (not having the first, bringing a glass instead of the bottle) and the absence of the daily soup because they were getting rid of yesterday's daily soup, having to ask my wife for the order again because she didn't write it down and completely mixing up my order (whether because she couldn't hear or forgot) really is too much to overlook. We overheard some other diners saying that the management was having trouble finding good help on this side of town, which given our experience seems reasonable. Soooooo, I am willing to give them another chance because the vegetarian offerings can really be great (I had the enchilada calebaza two months ago and they were delicious). The problem is that they simply are not equipped at present to handle the load of patrons in the new environment. Maybe wait a few months to go here until they get their act together.

2  Thank aagourmet
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Omnivores, don't let the fact that this restaurant features vegan and vegetarian food dissuade you from eating here. Seva is the best vegan/vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to (and I am a happy omnivore who loves meat); I've been coming here for years now, and I've rarely been disappointed. The food is flavorful, fresh, and filling! I recommend in particular the butternut squash ravioli with a beautifully seasoned mushroom sauce, and the bruschetta with fresh garden tomatoes. The only downsides are that the service can be a little unfriendly and distracted at times (weirdly, this tends to happen when the restaurant isn't very full); and that the desserts are very hit-or-miss (stay away from anything with vegan icing!). Overall, though, I heartily recommend Seva.

1  Thank HungryGirl1314
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My first trip to Ann Arbor I had dinner there now I never miss an opportunity to have dinner or lunch there and Sunday Brunch - oh my!!! They are currently located in the downtown area but will be moving to the west side. I am looking forward to how they transform their new location.