“Old microwaved food”

Ann Arbor, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Old microwaved food”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Sorry, I was expecting at least decent quality food. I studied at Turkish school, grew up among Turkish culture and I I know what Turkish food is. The Turkish food is actually amazing. But not at this place. Not fresh, frozen then microwaved for a while.
I ordered stuffed eggplant and a bowl of lentil soup. Small half sized stuffed eggplant came with oily fried rice. Lentil soup had been frozen and microwaved for a while. My husband ordered lamp shank. It was tough. And it was very expensive. Interior was like a bit better than food court. Ghh mmm, there was very unpleasant live music because the musician did not know playing on keyboard well. I could play better than him ( I took only a few classes in piano) and he had no idea about singing, no voice. Sorry, I just wanted to leave that place quickly.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Zarina2014

Michigan
“Barely OK, and Overpriced”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

If you look at the online menu for Ayse's prior to arriving at the restaurant, you may come prepared to order something that struck your fancy. But the actual offerings on a given day are a very small subset of what is shown on the online menu, so there's a good chance that what you hoped to order won't be available.

I opted for the "Spicy Cabbage Stew with Lamb", and my wife selected an eggplant stuffed with lamb. Both came with rice, although in different styles. Both dishes contained small amounts of (ground) lamb, but the cabbage was nowhere near spicy, even by the most lenient criteria. I requested some hot sauce, and after an inexplicable delay some Turkish pepper flakes and a Turkish hot paste were delivered, both of which improved the flavoring. Overall, though, the main dishes were reminiscent of what one would expect to find in a cafeteria or a grocery store's hot food bar, and both seemed vastly overpriced in light of their ingredients. The meal's inclusion of (a rather flavorless red lentil) soup didn't improve the experience, and the bland rice didn't contribute much either.

Ayse's serves beer and wine, but the wines (by the bottle) are way too expensive. Although I welcome Ann Arbor's array of ethnic restaurants, Ayese's unfortunately doesn't enhance that category.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MichiganBanjoMan
“Wonderful homey restaurant”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

For about 20 years Ayse has been preparing homey Turkish food. The staff is very nice, the service is great and Ayse is a treasure. The menu varies but there is always a choice of lamb and chicken dishes and a vegetarian option. Great atmosphere.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Weavercs
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“worth looking for!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Turkish food is hard to find in this area, and Ayse's is worth the search! The space is bright, cosy and clean. The menu varies depending on what is available locally; no pork (which is fine with me), but lamb, salmon and poultry are featured. I was with a group; I had the ground lamb in baby eggplant (very good), a friend had the salmon, and liked it, and the other three -- all very NON-adventurous eaters -- had the 1/2 Cornish game hen and were very happy. Ayse's is hard to find: it's in the BACK of the Plymouth Road Mall, across from UofM North Campus, but worth looking for. I'm looking forward to my next visit!

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank AnnDG_12
“Average Turkish Food”
Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

This place is very hard to find as some have said...hint it is right behind the Wendy's. I went on a Thursday evening at 6 and was the only diner until about 6:30 and then two more tables showed. Very clean. Staff were friendly. Food....well that is where I had a let down. The cheese borek was tough and I heard the microwave being used to warm it..very chewy and not something you should pay 3 + for. In turkey (lived there for 7 years the borek was always deep fried and was crispy this was not what I was used to and even though the taste was ok it was way too chewy. The salad, well in turkey they don't just bring some lettuce with carrots and a oil/wine dressing calling it a salad. The lamb dinner I had was without any spices and therefor very bland. The rice was ok and the boiled potatoes were the highlight of the meal sadly. I ordered a Pepsi which came in a can for 2 bucks. This place was over priced for the meal they are serving as I can get microwave reheated stuff at Krogers for 1/8 the price. I do not suggest this place.