“Cozy and Welcoming” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Library Bed and Breakfast

Library Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
Library Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
Cincinnati
“Cozy and Welcoming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2010

I cannot believe the hatchet job on the Oct review! I love staying with Joan, a very warm, welcoming, interesting and fun woman, with a very cozy place. I love the upstairs den/kitchenette, the great breakfasts and the little extras. I have stayed there three times, and will stay every time I go to Ann Arbor. It is comfortable (I slept great), with NO cat urine odor, and very reasonably priced. I certainly don't mind the shared bathroom but some folks might. There are so many interesting books, photographs, artwork and Michigan memorabilia it is hard to leave! Convenient to everything in town. Give it a try!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank skater057

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bowling Green, Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

My husband and I love B&B's and wanted to do something special. We were really excited because it was the 'Library B&B' and we both love books. I had emailed Joan what time we were going to arrive, when I called her later that day to tell her that we were going to be an hour late she picked up the phone and screamed into it because she was watching football and apparently that was more important than acting professionally on the phone. She informed that that she has been waiting there since 1pm and after all 'she has errands to run', so it would have been nice if we had let her know what time we were going to arrive. I informed her that I had sent her an email the day before letting her know our travel plans. She said that she had never received an email, which seems hard to believe because she had received and replied to every other one that I had sent her in the days leading up to our stay, but I'm guessing because this was a UM football game day that might have had something to do with her not 'receiving' my email.

When we get there we were told by Joan, the owner, that we had to wait outside in the cold and rain because there was a minute 30 left in the UM game and she couldn't miss it! So we waited outside of the front door carrying 4 bags while we watched her through the window watching the end of the UM game. She didn't even have the common decency to let us in the front door right away. When we finally did let us in, the toxic smell of cat pee hits you like a brick wall. She has 5 indoor cats and 4 outdoor cats. So if you are allergic to cats... or the smell of cat pee makes you ill... DON'T STAY HERE!

The game wasn't finished yet, so now we are standing inside of her living room, still carrying 4 bags surrounded by the smell of cat pee while she is screaming at the tv while watching the UM football game. She didn't even say a word of kindness to us, such as 'Hello', 'I am so glad that you are here' 'How was the drive?'. Nope, she treated us as an annoyance because we interrupted her during her game instead of paying clients, which we were!

Before we get shown to our room or anything, she wants to get paid right away. Which was a little uncomfortable since I was treating my husband to a weekend away and no sooner than the game is over, she asks us how we will be paying, credit card or cash? She finally shows us to our room, which was fairly small, but we didn't mind. We were just happy to be settling in. The main disappointment that we had with our room wasn't the size or anything, it was the fact that even with the door closed we could still smell the cat pee wafting in under our door. And we love cats and have cats, but this would be too much for anyone to deal with! We went out to dinner and I did not want to return to the B&B. I was SO unhappy with the hour that we had spent at the Library B&B that I just wanted to have a nice romantic dinner with my husband and drive back home.

The next morning we all went down for breakfast. Joan informed all of us that some people already had assigned seats, which none of us seemed to understand. But there was one woman there who wanted a specific seat. So, on my husband and my anniversary.... because this one woman had her assigned seat... we were going to have to sit on opposite corners of the table from each other. Luckily a young woman who was there by herself said that we could have her seat. When I spoke up and said something, Joan replied... not to me but to everyone... 'Oh, they want to sit together', in a very condescending tone. During breakfast Joan continued to watch and scream at whatever UM sport was playing on the television at the time. And to top things off, she was blaring the UM fight song on the stereo while we were trying to have a peaceful breakfast. She is a huge UM fan and that most definitely got in the way of her being an actual B&B hostess... and a polite one at that.

This trip was supposed to be a very special and relaxing trip for the both of us, instead it was the worst B&B experience either one of us has had... EVER! Its called the Library B&B and while people have remarked on here that there are a lot of books to see, the majority of the books you cannot see or do not have access to. The books that you do have access to are what I would consider 'left over' books or 'throw away' books. Many just seem to only be there to fill up space on shelves. While there were many books, I would not consider 6 copies of Anne Rice or Danielle Steel rare or interesting reads. And to top it all off, neither one of us got a restful sleep. The floor in the room we were in was slanted. While the bookshelves and everything else in the room was shimmed to level it... the bed wasn't, so we spent the entire night sleeping on an angle. And the bedroom doors do not have key locks. So if you are going out for the evening, there is no way to secure your belongings in your room.

We didn't mind the common bathroom or the other guests or our room for the most part. And while Joan might be pleasant when UM football season is over, she was so incredibly disappointing when we visited. I decided to go to this B&B from the reviews I had seen on this site. I really wish I had listened to my gut feeling and left when my husband and i were standing outside in the cold and rain waiting for Joan to finish watching her football game. That should have been a really good indication for how the rest of the weekend was going to go.

Please think twice before staying at this B&B. If you don't like cats at your feet while you are eating breakfast in the 'Well Red' room, or if you don't like the smell of cat pee while you are trying to sleep. You might want to think twice about staying here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
35 Thank gerberagirl_10
Davis, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2010

We enjoyed our stay at the Library B & B. Books, books, and more books filled the rooms, making them cozy and inviting. The breakfasts were wonderful and Joan, the proprietress, was really fun to chat with. She was most helpful making suggestions of places for us to explore in Ann Arbor. I really appreciated the upstairs sitting room and kitchen, where we were able to reheat leftover lunch fare to eat later at our leisure. We were able to walk into the downtown, rarely needing to move the car. It had the feel of home away from home.

• Stayed August 2010
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

I stayed at the Library B&B while attending a conference in Ann Arbor, but spent a good amount of the trip enjoying the town with my partner as well. I had such a nice time. Joan is extremely welcoming, has fascinating stories to tell, and cooks marvelous breakfasts. We stayed for several nights and each morning she served something new: souffle, quiche, even a "Dutch baby" pancake. The breakfasts were hearty, but Joan didn't mind that I couldn't finish them. The house itself is charmingly decorated with a large number of books, and as other reviewers have said there is a kitchenette available to use. For me personally, a good shower is paramount, and the Library did not disappoint! The location is also terrific as it is within easy walking distance of campus and downtown. It's in an area where students live, but it was clean and not noisy at all. Joan provides every convenience that makes a B & B enjoyable (robes and reading pillows in the rooms, maps and guides for getting around town), and the only reason I marked four out of five for the sleep quality was that I have a sensitive back and the beds were so soft that I was a little uncomfortable (I prefer a firmer bed). I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to anyone--I would love to go back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank tango1242
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2009

This is in a great location and Joan is a very nice host. The room was comfortable and the common area was welcoming. I was however not expecting to share a bathroom down the hall.

I was also excited about the breakfast but it was a big disappointment. I have read so many nice reviews about the delicious breakfast however I was there on a morning where she didn't not cook at all. She served a small fruit salad and homemade muesli/granola. No hot food at all. I was told that Thursday was the only day of the week that she does not cook and it was my only morning there. I was disappointed because it was the reason I stay at a Bed and Breakfast, rather than a normal hotel, and the HOJO that I stayed at in East Lansing the day before served hot continental breakfast.

It is also good to know that she has cats in case you have an allergy like me.

I would have rather stayed at a hotel with more privacy at a less expensive rate.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Signladybug
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2009

Its like staying in a museum of books, with a wonderful intro to Univ of Michigan with so many details of the univ. Mrs Joan is a wonderful host, who loves to personally cook and serve a sumptuous breakfast everyday. You can forget time, just chatting with her. A wonderful stay in a boutique inn filled with books.. Thanks Mrs Joan.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

Researchers in American History, may have to use the Clement Library at the University of Michigan for research, while others need to go to the University of Michigan for conferences. Ann Arbor is an expensive town, but if you need a nice place to stay, may I suggest the Library Bed and Breakfast? It is a short two or three block walk from the Clement, and costs only about 75 a night---which is about half of most of the other local hotels, without the driving and parking hassles. Off street parking is available. The Library is run by a very interesting woman, who has some connection to the U of Michigan's music or band department, and is full of books---including miniatures---University of Michigan memorabilia, and an extensive collection in the bathroom of rubber duckies. There is no television, so after a hard day of researching, its nice to relax in the comfortable salon and read some of her collection. (There is also no wireless internet, but that should be available at several nearby places) Cooking facilities are available, and it is a short walk to downtown and the campus, with its many cheap eating establishments. The beds were nice, and the breakfasts were very memorable---I'd say my first one would have cost 15 dollars in a hotel. This was my first experience in a long time with bed and breakfasts, but it was a great one! Several cats, but only at breakfast (I love cats, but not everyone does). Overall, a great experience at an inexpensive price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business