“Only as a last resort”

Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Travelling Canuck/Yank
“Only as a last resort”
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Friday night, last night of a road trip. Mistake. This is a college town, so the place was full of noisy, celebrating students.
This is a below average Comfort Inn. Hotel is very much in need of an upgrade. The furnishings are really tired and dreary. Our room had peeling wallpaper and slapped on primer instead of paint. Hallways were dingy.
Breakfast was a disappointment. Only unhealthy white-flour processed food selections. Truck stop coffee.

Would not recommend this place.

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

Close to Hwy 94 so convenient, that's about the best I can say about the place. The reception was fine, very polite front desk. But the place is very tired. Wall paper peeling in the bathroom and walls outside the bathroom. The bathroom door had a replacement mirror, but no one bothered to paint around the smaller frame. The whole place felt tacky. Carpets are old and not very clean. There place was full and lots of screaming kids in the hallways. (Where are their parents)
Wall were so thin we were woken by the snoring from the next room.
On a bright note the breakfast coffee was OK and a reasonable choice of breakfast items
Will not be staying on the way back...

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Troy, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Upon arrival I was very impressed and pleased with everything about the hotel. Location, friendly workers at the desk, and complimentary dinner. The following morning, breakfast was great too. After eating very early, I was hoping to get a little more sleep due to the poor weather conditions. I did not have a 'do not disturb' sign provided on my door and was a little frustrated knowing that I would likely get woken up by cleaning services. The cleaning staff showed up knocking and I explained I wasn't ready to leave just yet. After a few more minutes of attempting to get a little more sleep, there was loud pounding coming from just below my room. This followed up with other loud tools - it was clear some demolition was going on. I was surprised to hear this since it was a little after 9am and checkout wasn't until 11am. At this point sleep was not an option due to the noise so I decided to attempt some computer work. The internet signal was weak and very slow. Internet pages took forever to load so I gave up. The trip I had planned started great but ended with me feeling very frustrated. The 2 things I had hoped to accomplish that morning - sleep and internet work did not get accomplished and I left feeling as though I should have stayed at the other nearby hotel for an extra $30.

Room Tip: Ask if there is any planned construction. If you have AAA, they will honor a discount when you check...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Karen M
Malinta
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed overnight on 1/14/13...I asked for a wheel chair for my 87 year old mother who was terribly weak and could hardly walk ... they had no such chair ... this Comfort Inn is just 2.5 miles from University of Michigan Hospital ... and they had NO wheel chair ... the bathroom had no hand rails to help my Mom up and down off of the toilet ... she fell and landed on her bottom and hit her head ... service was great ... food was really good ... the Inn is so close to the hospital ... just think measures should be taken to realize there are going to be more patients staying there for appointments at the hospital.

Reviewed 22 November 2012 via mobile

Front desk was helpful and friendly. Room was clean. People in the hallways were pretty loud, but no fault if mgmt other than not much soundproofing. The hotel is located about halfway between two busy shopping centers and restaurants...red lobster right next door!!

• Stayed November 2012
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 November 2012

We stayed here for only one night. Although I thought the room was a bit out dated, even for what it was -- the TV was new and huge and they let us check out an hour later than "late check out" even. The hotel was pretty empty, so I figure thats why they were able to be flexible, but still, they could have kicked us out!

The free breakfast is decent as well!

Room Tip: Its by a freeway, so I'd ask for a room not facing the freeway.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We recently stayed for U of Mich Parents' Weekend. The lobby and reception were OK, kind of worn and dated. The first room we were given reeked of cigarette smoke. Our second room was much better. The room positives: We had a king room with sofabed so it was large. It had a large area outside the bathroom with an large, v-shaped, updated granite counter. I loved the space. The bathroom itself was small, but adequate. The bed was comfortable. Plenty of space to put away clothes. The room negatives: The bedspread was old and thin, showing plenty of signs of wear. The mattress pads did not cover the mattress completely and the blankets were worn as well. Everything extra was cheap, the soaps were tiny, no conditioner given and just one pack of coffee which was awful. The room was clean, and we had a comfortable stay. The free breakfast was standard fare - mostly sweet carbs. They had yogurt and hard boiled eggs. The hot eggs appeared to be made from powder as they were sitting atop a puddle of water and had the texture of oatmeal. I tried a bite and they tasted like they were sweetened...awful. The coffee was not drinkable. I went to Starbucks. But you get what you pay for. The hall carpets need cleaning and the walls needs some attention. When I tried to use the business center to print boarding passes, it was an epic failure. The computer is out of date so web pages do not work and the printer looks like it hasn't seen new ink for a long, long time. When I attempted to print, only gray streaks came out. The people who work there were very nice and eager to please. I never saw housekeeping after the check-in day but that was no big deal. This place could be great with some cosmetic updating, better food and attention to simple details. It was fine, but not something I would recommend or return to.