“Horrible customer service, cancelled our Bridal suite with NO notice, worst hotel stay I've ever experienced”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #30 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We were staying with your hotel for my best friend's wedding (I was the Maid of Honor). Months ago she set up a room block with Tina. At this time she was told that we would receive a complimentary suite free of charge for the bridal party to stay in on the night before the wedding. We were super excited. Fast forward to the few months prior to the wedding and potential guests had nothing but difficulty booking rooms. The hotel first claimed that there was not a room block, then claimed that there was a block but it only had 5 rooms. After many phone calls they finally confirmed that we did in fact have a block although the pricing was higher than originally quoted ($130 instead of $100). We made multiple phone calls to try and confirm our original rate but were told no one could help us. They told us $130 was a much lower rate than there going rate for that weekend of $180. They also told us that if we didn't like that rate or wanted more rooms we could rebook at the Days Inn although the bride had told them repeatedly she did not want to book rooms there. At this point we were very frustrated but chose to pick our battles. We confirmed that we were still receiving our complimentary suite, which was confirmed, and apologized to our potential guests for the change in rate. Once again guests attempted to book rooms and once again had nothing but problems. I myself actually work in a hotel in reservations so I looked into your hotels other booking options. I saw that guests could book themselves online through your website at a rate of $129 (which was actually $1 cheaper than the block rate and was absolutely cheaper than the $180 we were told guests would have to book at if they booked outside of the block). I actually joined your rewards program and booked at an ever lower rate. So, all guests who needed rooms did end up securing reservations through outside means. Fast forward to the night before the wedding. We called the hotel to add the name of a few girls who were going to arrive early to check into our complimentary suite and decorate for the bride and the hotel informed us that we did not have a reservation. After multiple phone calls we were eventually informed that our suite was cancelled due to a lack of rooms booked in the block. We were NEVER informed of this. At this point I gave them a list of all the guests who were staying in the hotel but they said it was too late and they were sold out so there was no way we were going to have a room that night. At this time we tried to confirm that the Bride and Groom DID have their suite booked for the following night. They would not give me a confirmation number or confirmation email to confirm this, they simply said that yes, they would have a room. This entire process was extremely frustrating and unprofessional. The bride was in tears and I was left to try and find a place for 7 ladies to stay the night and get ready at the last minute. It was a very trying process and stressful evening when we all should have been celebrating. I understand how frustrating it can be speaking with guests who are upset but we had every right to be extremely upset and received no help or sympathy from the hotel employees we initially spoke with. Eventually we spoke with one extremely helpful girl who made us feel as though she actually cared. She apologized profusely and though she said there was nothing they could do about our suite that night, she assured us that the hotel would make sure that the bride and groom and wedding party would be "taken care of" the following evening, that the bride and groom would be comped and the wedding party discounted and that the hotel would "make this right". Fast forward to the night of the wedding and we did in fact have reservations when we arrived, but this was the only good thing about our stay. No one had gone out of there was to welcome us or apologize. No special thank you or congratulations or amenity was present for the bride and groom. The hotel also failed to hand out the guest welcome bags which were supposed to have been delivered to the rooms of the wedding party and guests. The next day everyone received their bills under the door and there was no discount. The bride and groom and a bridesmaid went down to the front desk to complain and eventually they agreed to slightly discount their room and the room of the one member of the wedding who was also there but refused to do anything more. They did not honor the statements made by the staff and made very little attempt to make anything right. I am a frequent world traveller and this is by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I wish I could remember the name of the one helpful person who we talked to in all of this to give her a slight commendation. Though the assurances she made to us failed to happen at least she attempted to be understanding in our situation. After this experience I can assure you that I (and everyone who stayed at this hotel for the Fear/Pugh Wedding) never intend to stay at a Comfort Inn and another one of your properties ever again.

Room Tip: Don't bother staying here, horrible experience
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Natasha T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Wonderful staff. I accidentally left a very expensive item in the room. Realizing it hours later, I called the staff who then kindly mailed it back me in my home city.

Honest people. Nice hotel. Will be back again.

Thanks to Sylvia and her colleagues.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank B S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Folks, this Choice hotel Comfort Inn is another loser. The hotel lacks the basics you would expect in any hotel and is furnished with carpets that should have been replaced 10 years ago. The exercise room was a converted smoking room equipped with inoperable and unsafe treadmill. As a Choice Privilege member I requested a rollaway for my daughter from the website only to find that they didn't have rollaways and instead offered me a air mattress with a hole in it. They refused to replace the air mattress and offered me a pump so I could refill it with air when it went flat again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Schreibnator
Comfortinn2376, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
On behalf. of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future. However I would like to say that with any hotel, roll always are upon request only, it isn't a guarantee. At the time of your check in we did not have a roll away available and this was explained to you. Our front desk thankfully has a few extra air mattresses for guests as an extended courtesy whenever our cots become unavailable. With any air mattress, they reluctantly leak throughout the night and we made housekeeping aware of that issue in the morning (who replaced and refilled your air mattress later that afternoon). Our staff made sure to consistently keep up with your satisfaction of your stay. We would have been more than cooperative to change the room type you origanally booked for, but as you know, your reservations were made during a city-wide sold out soccer event. Once again we apologize for your dissatisfaction.

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was a nice weekend stop. Nothing fancy here, basic hotel but at a good price and well worth the money. Breakfast was good and the family would stay here again. If you're looking for top of the line, this is not the place. However, if you want a comfortable and affordable, clean and nice hotel -- here it is. We would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed her on vacation and stay regularly in Comfort Suites. The reservation confirmation did not alert us to significant construction around the hotel which made getting to it difficult. Once there the gardening out front was neglected with some weeds 3 ft tall. The common area was OK but our room looked like throw back to the early 90's with ugly dark brown carpet dark drapes, an easy chair shoved into a corner, rust spots in the tub, loudly squeaking bathroom door ( a drag when your partner uses the bathroom in the middle of the night) peeing wallpaper and just a generally shabby feeling and look. I wouldn't stay here again and was surprised at how poorly this place represented the Comfort Suites chain.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
NJ
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My family stayed at this hotel during a college visit trip, we had a good stay. Its a reasonable hotel in Ann Arbor. The location is convenient, there are a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was fair and clean. I was happy my room had a small refrigerator and microwave. They had an indoor pool and whirlpool that my kids enjoyed, and it was open late at night. The fitness room was very small and could use some updating. We enjoyed the free breakfast that came with our stay, they served both warm & cold breakfast items. Overall, the hotel is ok for the price we paid to stay there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Three of us recently stayed in the Comfort Inn! We were greeted by Sylvia upon arrival. She was very friendly and helpful. Even printed us out directions to a nearby mall! When we went up to our room our key would not open the door. Two maid staff came over to help and reported our problem to the desk. Sylvia came up herself to give us new keys to another room! The room had two big very comfortable queen beds. The room was clean. The bathroom could have used a little extra attention but satisfactory. The free breakfast in the morning had hot waffles, scrambled eggs and sausage. Everything was GOOD. For those going to the annual art walk in Ann Arbor this hotel is close to The Briarwood Mall where you can get a shuttle bus to the university area!
Overall, we would definitely return! It was a GOOD value!

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, but the first floor looked very much the same. Both floors had new carp...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends