“Great place to stay--Convenient, comfortable, and excellent hosts.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
First Street Garden Inn
Ranked #9 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
Tampa, Florida
“Great place to stay--Convenient, comfortable, and excellent hosts.”
Reviewed 14 March 2011

I had a really good stay with Kathy and Mike. The room was excellent with a really nice sitting area. The shower turns into a small steam cabinet, which helped me get to sleep quite well, and breakfast was fabulous--Kathy makes delicious cheddar-chive scones and a fine omelet. I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank rbt_s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I arrived late and the hosts were there with a hot home-made meal:-)
The art-deco room was nicely decorated and very clean with an ensuite washroom and shower.
I had a full breakfast the next day before heading out to town. My host gave me great recommendations for things to do and see in Ann Arbor that fit my schedule.
The inn is within walking distance of Michigan University and downtown.
My host also drove me to my next destination!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank KateMTL
North Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 August 2010

I visit Ann Arbor many times a year for business, and have stayed at numerous hotels and B&B’s. Upon finding First Street Garden Inn, I now will stay nowhere else.

It is conveniently situated in a quiet Ann Arbor neighborhood, a very comfortable house – yet is walking distance to downtown Main Street and to the University of Michigan.
Kathi and Mike are wonderful hosts - friendly, worldly, and accommodating. I look forward to my conversations with them every morning during breakfast - which is another reason for visiting. Kathi has spent time in France, and together they travel quite a bit - e.g. they recently returned from an extended trip to Europe. Her menu (and conversation) reflects these influences, to the benefit of their guests.

They are both involved in Ann Arbor activities/business/politics. Kathi seems to be on some committee whenever I visit, and Mike is a member of the City Council. This translates to their knowledge of Ann Arbor, including places to visit, events, restaurants…

I prefer the Master Suite, very relaxing with a comfortable bed, a separate sitting room with a television for watching the evening news, and a steam shower - appreciated after walking back from dinner on cold winter evenings. I should here mention that on cold, snowy winter mornings Mike and Kathi offer (which I accept) to drive me to my meeting.

Highly recommended. From experience, the First Street Garden Inn is my choice for Ann Arbor accommodations.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank gdaubresse
Monrovia, California
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I had a problem with my reservation and the management was very helpful and understanding in solving the problem.

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank canceler
London
Reviewed 18 June 2010

This lovely B&B is within walking distance from downtown Ann Arbor, so it is perfect for exploring the town. At the same time the owners' beautiful garden offers an opportunity to relax and rest. The breakfasts are to die for too! I thoroughly recommend this place to anyone, and I will definitely come back!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Cleveland Heights, OH
Reviewed 29 October 2009

The First Street Garden Inn was wonderful. We will definitely stay there again next time we visit Ann Arbor. Kathy was wonderful; she gave us ideas for places to eat/drink in town, and she made just delicious breakfasts. Man, those breakfasts were good. The house is beautiful and cheerful, with Art Deco flavor (on the inside), and lovely art and furniture peppered throughout. And the location is perfect: walking distance to town but situated on a quiet street with plenty of street parking.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We came for a football game at Michigan. We found the inn to be a perfect location, half way between downtown and the stadium. (Although it was a slightly longer walk to the stadium).

The innkeepers were very helpful with recommendations and directions around town. You may want to make a dinner reservation for the weekends, things fill up fast.

It was my birthday and Cathy made special mimosas for breakfast. I can't say enough about the breakfast, I have stayed in at least a dozen of B&Bs and found the food here very memorable.

The common areas of the inn were very nice, there was always port and wine around for a late night drink. Also there's a TV room where you could get away if needed.

The rooms were great, the art deco room was on the small side, but we had no problem finding room for all our luggage. There was a small sitting room beside us that we used as well. The other couple we were with had the larger room which was also very nice.

One thing to note, there wasn't a sign on the street with the name of the inn, so make sure that you have the address when arriving.

If you are coming to visit Ann Arbor I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this inn!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple