“Location, convenience & price”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
First Street Garden Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Ann Arbor B&B and Inns
Urbana, IL
“Location, convenience & price”
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Kathy is a retired high school french teacher. We didn't meet the husband, but he seems to be an alderman.

There was a party in the living room when we arrived. When we returned from dinner, everyone was gone, and Kathy had left a bottle of Taylor sherry & two glasses, plus some nibbles of sweets. Taylor sherry is cheap, but I think it's excellent. These are the little touches that can increase customer satisfaction without costing much. I appreciate them.

The room was cozy, and enough for us. We didn't hear anyone else. The bathroom suited our needs. We liked the style.

For breakfast Kathy baked Heather a delicious fruit torte. For presentation & ingenuity, it's probably the best B&B breakfast experience we've had. (I prefer something low fat, simple grains, yogurt, fruit ... the basics.)

Street parking was no problem. We walked easily to downtown, just a few blocks away.

We tried to stay here again but it was booked, so we stayed at Cadgwith Too (which was fine). We tried to stay here again AGAIN, but it was booked. So we stayed at Casa del Sol (which was not fine).

Room Tip: We stayed in the Art Deco Room. It's the smallest and cheapest as far as I know. I chose it for...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank rob-mccolley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Scotland
Reviewed 29 October 2012

The 'First Street Garden Inn' is a lovely B&B run by its wonderful hosts, the amazing Cathy & Mike. They provide you with insider knowledge to Ann Arbour, Sempé cartoons in the bathroom and the best breakfast in the mid-west. The house is impeccable and our 'suite' consisted of a bed room and a sitting room that contained a dvd-player, monitor, a beautiful bathtub and - behind a small wall the shower and the toilet.

Now, this is the second time I came across an arrangement like this in an American B&B. I might just be a bit different, but I prefer to perform my ablutions in private, if possible behind a sound- and noise-proof door (as does my wife), so neither the sounds nor aromas that emanate from the toilet waft through the sitting room (and, with the door open, the bedroom). The furniture, while tasteful, is getting on a bit and there is a generator behind the house that continues to rumble intermittently through the night.

The shower takes about 5 minutes to get warm, which doesn't make much environmental sense. As our hosts needed to get away early on our departure date, we were asked to leave by 9 am.

None of these are unsurmountable issues, and the impressions you take away are ultimately positive, but for 165 dollars per night in a B&B in Ann Arbor I expect perfection, hence the lower rating.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tortellinipanda
Erie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Accomodations are charming, comfortable and clean. Convenient location to downtown and the university. Hosts were very personable and eager to accomodate our every need. Breakfasts were yummy and ample. Hosts are a lovely couple with whom we enjoyed substantive conversations.And last but not least, Washtenaw ice cream is just around the corner! This is THE place to stay in Ann Arbor!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I very much enjoyed my stay at this inn. The breakfast was delicious, the room was quaint, and best of all the hosts were wonderful. The location is also good- I walked myself to and from the downtown area both nights of my stay to enjoy dinner and people watching. They went so far as to drive me to my job interview! Will certainly stay here again if I return to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank The_Dylaness
Port Townsend, Washington
Reviewed 16 September 2011

We stayed the weekend of the 2011 Street Art Fair. The city was crowded and we lucked into a room with Kathy. Excellent accommodations, conversations, breakfasts. Can't rec this inn highly enough.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed 13 August 2011

I stayed here alone while i was doing some work at the university.I felt like I was staying at home, there was a lovely lounge room as well as dining room. Also a tv room with soft couches and wireless Internet. Kathy made such delicious breakfasts and served up in so much style. I even spent time with her one evening as I was on my own. I felt safe secure and warm. There was so much class and so much trust. I would stay right there if I went back to Ann arbor.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank mtx4
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 18 June 2011

We were in Ann Arbor for a 5-day research trip, and needed to stay close to the university. This was an excellent option! Everything (downtown and UM central campus) was in walking distance. The Garden Inn is located in a peaceful, quiet residential neighborhood, and it was so nice to come back here every evening. The Inn is surrounded by a small, but delightful garden which adds to the peaceful atmosphere. The house, too, is beautifully appointed in keeping with the period it was constructed (1890s).

We stayed in the Garden suite, which was lovely. I especially liked the sitting area and bathroom which were bright and neat.

Yet, what made the experience truly special was the Garden Inn's hosts, Kathy and Mike. Wonderful people who are very helpful and full of information. Indeed, Kathy's breakfasts are incredible. She is an amazing cook and surprised us with new and delicious dishes every morning. We loved the Garden Inn and will be back!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business