“A newer hotel that exceeded my expectations”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 14 May 2011

This hotel is in an area with a lot of competition. I have not stayed here before, but I have stayed at other hotels near this location. The hotel has all the ammenities you would need and expect from a Holiday Inn. It is a newer hotel so the bed/mattress/bedding is comfortable, and the room is nice overall. I usually stay at hotels that are in a higher category and would say that this hotel meets the standard of those hotels. They focused on making the rooms as soundproof as possible and they were. I didn't even notice other room doors opening or closing nor did I hear people in the hallways.

The internet is free but you are limited to the sites you access. I wanted to browse a youtube video, and while intially successful, it was stopped and my interet speed was "reduced to 56Kbs". I booked a hotel reservation after that and apparanly it was supsicious behavior according to their network monitor and they temporaryl blocked my usage for 15mins. The sad thing is that I was making a reservation on their Holiday Inn website. Overall, I didn't have any other problems in the 3 nights I stayed but it was worth mentioning.

The restaurant/bar is small but has a decent menu and good prices, which is rare for a hotel restaurant. I only ate there once as there are many restaurants in the area to include the parking lot. The food was ok and worth the money charged.

Overall, the only negative I had was at checkin/check out as they messed up our room bills (Put them all under one name for some reason) and it took them literally 20 mins to fix. I do not think this is the "norm" so I will not lessen my review of this place. If I stay in this area again, I will stay here even if the "higher rated" hotels have availability as newer hotels tend to have less problems.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TravChief

Reviewed 10 May 2011

I stayed at the Holiday Inn on my recent visit to Michigan. Since I was traveling with my husband and two small children, I reserved the king suite room. I was very pleased with the size and cleaniliness of the hotel. The beds were quite comfortable. The room came with a decent kitchenette with a microwave, sink and dorm size refrigerator.

The indoor pool and spa were reasonably clean. While the towels in the pool area were only hand towel sized, they were in plentiful supply.

While I did not personally eat at the hotel, my husband and children did. They felt that the food was decent and the price was reasonable.

Honestly, my only complaint with the hotel related to billing. Shortly after I checked into the hotel, I received a credit card alert for about $300 more than the stated rate. When I asked the hotel staff, I was advised that it was the hotel's policy to put a credit card hold for $50 per day at the time of check in to cover potential incidential expenses. Since the hotel only has limited restaurant service, the $50 hold seemed excessive to me. Moreover, I was upset that I was not advised of the hotel policy at the time of check-in. I was advised that it would take up to 3 days after hotel check-out for the credit card adjustment (credit) to be made.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
14  Thank 2C2M
Reviewed 5 April 2011

First let me say that I am shocked to read the below review saying there were bed bugs here, I have stayed at this hotel more than once and have always felt it was very clean and well-kept. I am sure this can happen anywhere and I am sure that the management is all over this, if it is indeed true. I am sorry that person had that experience, and they were smart to check the beds. However I am still shocked that they had this experience at this location and am holding out hope it is not true.

My stays at this location have been much more positive. The staff has been exemplary in making me feel comfortable...they are always friendly and helpful, and this also goes for the hotel manager who seems to be very involved with his staff and is very congenial overall towards hotel guests as well.

As for the rooms, I have stayed in suites here which are huge, but also seen a standard room which was also quite roomy. The bathrooms are basic but nice. The food in the restaurant is fine, I have had breakfast here and it was good in a pinch. There are places putside the hotel that you can go to in the area for breakfast as well if you have time, but as I said, this is very convenient in a pinch and serves its purpose. I cannot comment on other meals other than breakfast, or the bar, but it looks nice enough.

The gym also looks good, unfortunately I cannot comment on it other than that, as I always mean to go in there but never quite make it :) My wife has used the pool and says it's cold and unheated, which would be OK in the summer but not so fun during a Michigan winter.

The location is good, near a big mall and plenty of restaurants, and not too far a drive from the university and downtown. All in all I have enjoyed my stays at this hotel and would certainly return next time I am in town.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drc1017
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Great hotel in an even better location. I breezed in and out of the hotel for check in check out. Front desk gave great recommendations for dinner. Clean and polished room, would stay here again

• Stayed: March 2010
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Stayed here the night before the big game with MSU to get a jump on traffic (having come from Lansing the night before). We got in late but the check in process was remarkably quick. Our room was on the first floor. It was a handicap accessible room, which really was unnoticeable accept for the shower. I had no complaints there, as I had only booked a couple days in advance for the busy weekend.

The hotel room was immaculately clean. The bed was very comfortable and seemed quite clean, my only 'gripe' so to speak was with the size of the pillows, which were more like throw pillows in width. It was nice to have a fridge and microwave in the room, along with some extra seating. The room was slightly larger than your average hotel room, which was nice. We didn't hear anyone on either side of us or from the room above; it was very quiet. I really appreciate the effort the employees make in making this hotel a great experience!

Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2010

I was here only for a couple of days. The beds were really comfortable and the room was nice. The breakfast in the lobby was good and affordable. I was thankful there was a gym, it was enough to get my daily workout in.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We chose to stay here on an overnight trip to Ann Arbor to visit friends. I remember back in the 70's when Holiday Inns were nothing special and often downright junky. I hadn't stayed in one for decades, but the Tripadvisor reviews led us to book our night there. I was very impressed the simple, tasteful decor and the upscale quality of the bedding--very comfortable and more like a higher end hotel. The price wasn't what I'd call cheap, but it was probably reasonable given the location where there is always a lot going on---football games, graduations, special weekends, etc. We wanted to stay in this particular end of town because we're familiar with the orientation to the campus.
Granted this particular hotel is brand new but I have the impression the standards have become quite high for this line. I'll find out because I have now booked a stay at one in San Diego.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple