“Great experience while staying here for a week on business”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area
Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at the Holiday Inn while in Ann Arbor for a week of training at my new employer. I was very pleasantly surprised at check in. The hotel was much nicer than I expected. My room was clean and spacious. I ate at the hotel restaurant the first night, and for breakfast each day, and the food was decent (and very reasonably priced). The gym facilities were good as well.

What helped to make the stay great was the service from the staff. Everyone was so nice, led by the manager Mark. He actually drove us to our HQ each day, and gave us some great tips on places to see or eat in Ann Arbor. On a night that he was working late, he even drove us to downtown Ann Arbor, saving us a cab ride.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling for business or pleasure. I will happily stay here if I need to make a return trip to Ann Arbor.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank HagueBrook
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area

Reviewed 1 March 2012

First, make sure you have the exact address of this hotel. There is another Holiday Inn a short distance away on Briarwood. Overall negatives... It took 30 minutes to check in, with only one person ahead of me. There was another employee there, but they never came up to the desk to help. There were ants on the floor by the buffet snacking on crumbs, long after breakfast was over. My in room fridge did not work and I could not get it replaced for two days. And beware if you're there with a group. They have very strict rules and police the halls like mad after 10pm. That means after 10pm no kids are allowed to walk anywhere in the building without a parent, nor do they allowed kids under 16 in the pool at any time without a parent. Noone is allowed to gather in the halls, nor are groups of parents allowed in rooms after hours. So forget your cards, drinks, and snacks at home because you will be shut down immediately. So, that's the positive if you are staying there and want some peace and quiet. Also, treadmills were good in the workout room.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank rinkrover
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Ann Arbor Univ. Michigan Area, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear rinkrover,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in all aspects of your stay. Whilst I am pleased with your compliment on our fitness facility, I truly value the comments about how the check-in service and the in-room fridge condition were as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we already have done. I'm sure it's understandable in the hospitality business a hotel has certain policies to ensure the benefits of the majority of their guests.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we certainly hope to welcome you and your friends back in the future.

Lin S.
IHGCare

Reviewed 27 February 2012

A very nice hotel in the usual level of Holiday Inn, indoor pool etc. Great for families. May be a bit noisy when groups of young students are there. For just sleeping near the campus, nearby Microtel is as good in half price.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for a college visit. It was a nice surprise! The room had been renovated. The bed was comfortable, and the bedding was very luxurious! There were a lot of young children staying at the hotel, but they must have been on a different floor. We didn't see or hear them except in the pool. Hope Holiday Inn has renovated all of their properties! The breakfast buffet included hot food, cereal, yogurt and fruit. It could have been restocked more often, but overall was good. Breakfast was included with a campus day special.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed at the Holiday Inn for one night in February, 2012. As frequent visitors to Ann Arbor, we've stayed all over town and this is one of the better hotels we've found. The property seems new or at least recently redone and feels a lot fresher than a lot of the other hotel options in town. Our room was gigantic -- one of the larger rooms I've had anywhere. The furniture and bedding were new, comfortable, and clean. The in-room entertainment system was a very nice touch and would have been appreciated had our stay been longer. The bathroom was a little small but the shower was good and the upgraded toiletries were a nice touch. The hotel's location off of State St. and near I-94 made it convenient both to get to the University of Michigan campus and back on the highway to get home. Our rate included breakfast for two, which I would rate as ok. Normally we would have gone for the buffet but it looked like it had been sitting for hours, so we ordered off the menu. Our food was hot, fresh, and prepared as we liked it. Even if it hadn't been included in the room, the breakfast price was very reasonable.

A couple of small complaints. First, there was a room service tray outside our room when we checked in that seemed to be left over from breakfast. It wasn't picked up until 10 minutes before we checked out. This didn't bother us too much but was a little gross. Secondly, we chose the hotel in part because it had a bar so we could get a drink after our event. The bar, however closes at 10pm. Fortunately, the Damon's across the parking lot filled in just fine.

Despite the minor inconveniences, we were very happy with our stay and would go back to the Holiday Inn on our next trip to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jzombek
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Overall a good stay but a nice stay was ruined when I was charged for a Continental breakfast. This is more of a policy than an execution issue.

That's the first time I've been charged for breakfast in years! I went back to their website and saw that free breakfast was not mentioned so I guess it's my oversight. However, I will say that with so many choices in the area of (as good or better and priced similarly) other hotels that DO include free breakfast, I will no longer be using this facility.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Reasonable rate with friendly staff. It was a typical holiday inn, nothing fancy, but I got a clean room, hot shower, and hot breakfast. I was happy.

• Stayed: December 2011