“A Big Disappointment”

Executive Learning and Conference Center
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ann Arbor
Executive Learning and Conference Center
Reviewed 9 April 2014

I'm not fond of writing bad reviews, however, I must be honest re: our stay. This hotel is called a "boutique" hotel and is exclusively for alumni, parents of Michigan students and a few other groups. Being connected with the Ross School of Business, a first-class business school, I assumed it would be the same - first class.

The word boutique, when applied to a hotel room, can usually be interpreted to mean small, which I've come to expect. While the rooms are small, they're well decorated, quiet and with all basic amenities provided. But that's about as far as the positives go.

The bathroom shelves were at eye level for me, drawing attention to the fact that they had not been dusted for several days or even weeks. While difficult to show in the photos, if you look close at one you can see where I dragged my finger through the dust and another shows the dust through another glass shelf. The vent in the bathroom was in need of either repainting or replacing (photo), and the bottom slide of the shower was also quite dirty.

The TV would not receive any listed channels, so we had to go to the lounge at the end of the hall to watch an important basketball game. When I politely informed the employee at the desk of the issue I was told someone would be up to fix it soon. After about a 20 minute wait I returned to the desk with the same request and she personally came up to "fix" it by resetting the channels, which did not work. I asked to be moved to another room and I was told the hotel was at capacity.

At checkout the next morning I spoke with the manager, explaining my frustration. I was told there were rooms available and I should have been moved, and that the housekeeping issue would be looked into. She did give me partial compensation for our trouble, which I appreciated.

My wife and I stayed here because the location is very convenient to the campus. However, there are other options just as convenient and I will likely choose one of those the next time.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family