“It should have been better”

Wyndham Garden Ann Arbor
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Kalamazoo
“It should have been better”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

When in Ann Arbor, I usually stay at the State Street Comfort Inn. Sometimes, one needs to try something new becasue you never know when you'll find that hidden gem. The Ann Arbor Clarion wasn't it. The pictures on the website looked nice. When I checked it, I didn't realize that the building had been remodeled repeatedly and as cheaply as possible. When I tried to get to the room, I found out that the luggage cart almost didn't fit down some of the very narrow halls connecting the oddly configured corridors. It really didn't have a reason for the pattern/design. Once I got to the room (with the luggage cart that I found out had a flat tire), it wasn't what I reserved. I reserved a room with a microwave and a refrigerator. It also wasn't big enough for a child to do a jumping jack. I went down to the desk to get it dealt with this and got a different room. Unfortunately, this was the second episode of trying to wiggle the luggage cart through the narrow connecting hallways. Some of it is uphill, which gets more fun when the cart has over 100 pounds of temperature sensitive work gear that has to come inside during winter months (I did tell them at check in and on the phone that I had a lot of gear, so I don't know why they put me in a spot that was as far away from the elevator as possible, or on the second floor). Once I got to the second room, it wasn't bad, although a few more TV channels would have been nice. The power situation was terrible, because I had to get a spitter out of my truck in order to plug in my computer and a piece of work equipment that had to be recharged. The building itself used to be a lot nicer by the look, but it's getting run down. It needs to have a little money sunk into it to freshen it up a bit. The continental breakfast was a little weak, and didn't have the waffle iron that the vast majority of the choice hotels offer. I did expect more from a Clarion. Next time in Ann Arbor, I'll stay at State Street, where I've never had a problem. This hotel just didn't seem to care.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 5 January 2011

We had reservations for 5 rooms on New Years Eve, when we arrived to the hotel - everything started going wrong: (wrong room assignments, keys didn't work, hot tub broke) The staff went out of their way to ensure each customer was satisfied. By the end of the evening every customer was completely satisfied and in the morning everyone enjoyed a delicious breakfast. Kudos to the Amad, Theo, Brian Whickersham, Kathy Smith and most importantly all the custodial staff - they worked very hard ensuring all customers were completely satisfied. I was overwhlemed and delighted to start the New Year off knowing there are still companies that truly care about customer satisfaction!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank triplet29556
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 20 December 2010

Im not really sure why there are so many horrible reviews of this property. Our check in was a breeze, even though the hotel was sold out due to the Big Chill outdoor hockey game at University of Michigan. The place is not brand new, however the rooms look like they have been redone recently. The staff was helpful and the location was convenient to downtown Ann Arbor.

The pool area was nice as it was centered in the middle of the indoor atrium, along with a bar and restaurant. Food both at the restaurant and the continental breakfast was pretty good.

Although the property is not brand new, one can hardly beat the price of $69 for a Saturday night. I have stayed in similar places and paid nearly double, so I can't argue with what I received for the price.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Phidelt435
crandon
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Our room had no heat. Acceptable going to sleep, but with heavy frost overnight we woke up to a room that was too cold for us to even take a shower. No sign of dismay from either clerk. If someone had said "I'm sorry, can we get you another room?" we would have stayed and would not still be angry three weeks later.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank warp1crandon

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I saw the one review at one-star that is pretty rough. Yes, the hotel is older but generally clean and well maintained. The hotel has an atrium with a few first floor "patios" from the guest rooms. One Saturday night there were people out drinking and being loud until late in the evening. I was lucky I couldn't hear it from my room but I had the interstate and its fairly noticeable.

The hardest working man here is the breakfast attendant but I feel bad for him because he's not given much to work with. A pan of sausage, cold cereal, pastries, bagels, juice and coffee is all you get.

Room seemed to recently updated but the common areas are straight from Miami Vice set. I did see a construction dumpster outside so it is possible help is on the way.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sushitravels
Chicago
Reviewed 3 May 2010

This hotel was to say the least a non-desirable place to stay. When we found out the real truth about this hotel, we were an hour late to cancel our reservations. Please don't make the mistake I did and go by the name and the pictures of the hotel or you will be very disappointed. The staff was less than helpful, and to top it off, the guy painting in the lobby turned out to be the morning cook!!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business