“football weekend”

The Kensington Hotel
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 20 November 2011

good access to football transportation. friendly staff. older building however well maintained

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 November 2011

clean rooms comy bed and a great staff make a great stay i'd stay here again
checked in with 10 passengers from spain and everything was just wonderful
also its across from a mall so got some shopping in

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We attended a Michigan football game and this hotel was part of the package. I have to admit I wasn't expecting much. The reviews on Trip Advisor left me wondering.

The Kensington Court was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful; they have a business center and a nice restaurant. Our package included the buffet breakfast, which was good one morning and cold the next. We had dinner at Graham's one evening and it was superb. The bar, and bar staff, was friendly and welcoming.

The hotel does have some deferred maintenance and could use a little elbow grease in some of the public areas. It looks like a local destination for weddings and receptions and was certainly well equipped to handle that.

All in all it was a pleasant surprise.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Discerningwon
Reviewed 18 September 2011

I went there to stay for a pediatric board review course, September 2011. First the hotel does what its supposed to do, provide a bed and shower adequately. Great location. What wasn't great was

#1. No continental breakfast included. Which wasn't a big deal since my course provided breakfast and lunch.

#2. They claim to have free wi fi. Yes its there but it doesn't work. Anywhere. Not in your rooms, or the conference center, or in the gym area. I could connect, get to yahoo and then it immediately would kick me off. My netflix app wouldn't even connect. This happened repeatedly; as well as to all of the other people staying there.

#3. This is the most annoying. Their hotel is based on a a two part heating/cooling system. Summer and winter. Which means you have no control over when you want heat or air conditioning. So paying over 100$ a night does not include your own climate control. It happened to have switched to cooler temps when I was there and they changed over to their winter system. Which meant my room was warm and even turning the temp all the way down did nothing. So I had to have the engineer come to the room, unbolt the window (with no screen on it) and leave that open for the next two days. Needless to say we found some extra roommates a few times-spiders.

#4. Ok this is kinda weird. The day before we left I dropped something by my bed and reached down. I felt and then saw an odd 'toy'? I don't know what it was, it was black and rubber and kids toy? Adult toy? Who cares I threw it away and then looked under the bed for more scares thinking ok this could've been overlooked if it was all the way under blah blah. But the bed has some sort of wooden block under it so nothing can get underneath. Then the next day I found a mans sock on the other side of the bed. Um, we'd been there a week already and it was just me and my friend who was a girl. So I was thoroughly grossed out and ready to leave at that point. Plus they don't change the sheets daily. I know not all hotels do and that really isn't a big deal to me. But thought you should know in case you care.

Needless to say if my course hadn't been held there I wouldn't have stayed. And yes I did call around to literally every hotel in the area before I went, they were all booked because of the football games and kensington court had reserved a block of rooms for my course. I hoped for the best.

I do not recommend this hotel. If you can stay anywhere else I would. There are maybe 8 other hotels in the same area so choose elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Ok, firstly upon arrival the outside is in need of dire renovation- ESP painting, which they seem to be addressing. First entry to lobby, very eclectic decor, and an odd smell- like a hall after old people who drink and smoke. Generally clean with exception to ducts which were full of dust. People at desk were semi friendly.
If you up grade to 3rd floor secluded area, you get fridge, a common meeting place w free wine and finger food between 18:00 and 19:00. Unfortunately, they don't feel it important to keep it well stocked, you have to call them and they seemed pestered.
Room, shower area nice and water flow perfect, size adequate but not so small midgets would only fit. NO COUNTER SPACE. Toilet really old and flushes poorly but works. Bed- don't expect anything fancy- I like firm but not soft and think it was acceptable but not a good standard. Pillows sucked. Carpet seemed clean and furnishings old and eclectic. Fridge nice size, tv w weak reception.

Overall: more average than poor but would look at the big chains nearby.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at the Kensington Court on business and after reading some reviews were a bit concerned. However, we were delighted with the courteousness of the staff, the lovely facilities and the charming atmosphere of the place. The bed was comfy and the room recently updated, but mostly we appreciated the special ambience of the place - we travel a lot and this is not your typical, predictable chain. The artwork, dark wood trim and lovely decor in the lobby and common areas sets a special tone. Meals at Grahams restaurant are especially delicious and reasonably priced, and the pool, spa, sauna, exercise room area is really very special and something you don't see on such a grand scale anymore. Two thumbs way up for the Kensington!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 August 2011

The room was clean, although one can see that the ceilings need a little attention. Was upgraded and given a $10 coupon to use in the restaurant or for room service. (so I had an excellent hamburger and fries delivered in the room and didn't spend one cent on it.) They also have a very pleasant happy hour snacks and wine offered. The breakfast was definitely a step above the "free" breakfasts of many other mid range hotels. The hotel is easy to find with so many restaurants and shopping within walking distance, as well as a very short drive to downtown Ann Arbor and the U of M campus. Oh, did I say this hotel was extremely quiet!

Room Tip: The executive section of the hotel offers the complementary wine and early evening appetizers.