“Unrealized Potential”

Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
New York City, New York
“Unrealized Potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for three nights at an incredible rate during University of Michigan parent orientation.

Located with numerous other hotels just off I-94 - convenient to UM and to highway access to Detroit, Kensington Court strives to be more than just a three star hotel and, at times, they succeed.

Rooms are average. The TV is a real pain to use (odd channel numbering, big delay each time you hit the up or down change channel button on remote, and no programming guide, so good luck finding your favorite programs.) The room has a desk with a chair that is way too low for working on a laptop. My room faced some sort of interior corridor, so you can't let in natural light without having people looking in.

The hotel offers free wifi, which worked reasonably well and a daily New York Times delivered to each room and USA Today in the lobby. Boarding pass printing available in the lobby. There was a basket with apples at the front desk that was stocked on days one and two and empty days three and four.

Buffet breakfast was fair, but the service friendly. Room service for dinner was very disappointing. Housekeeping was poor. Found someone's sweat pants under the bed two days into my stay, so that was untouched for cleaning - and not corrected despite my complaint to the front desk. Disgusting.

Most notable is that the staff wasn't especially welcoming or friendly. The exception was a woman who staffed the desk in the evening who couldn't have been nicer.

This is better than many similar properties but could be so much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face an interior corridor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank davidrA3168AF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Recently stayed for the weekend for a wedding. Room was very spacious. Hallways are a little "Shining-esque" they seem to go on and on forever and got lost a few times. Perfect location for nearby UofM, restaurants, and highway.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Omaha, Nebraska
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

convenient location -University Michigan just a short drive. Room was smaller than expected for the price, so were the beds. The toilet kept running, which they couldn't or didn't fix. It was a busy weekend, so maybe they didn't have time to fix it. The heat/ cool system is kind of screwy--it was a cold weekend, so a seperate switch had to be flipped to summer setting (instead of winter or off setting, which didn't make sense). Once they set it, it worked ok, but was a little noisy. Shower pressure not the greatest. In short, I'd say the Holiday Inn next door (and some of the other hotels in the area) is a better value, has bigger rooms and bigger, more comfortable beds, better shower, And includes breakfast. This place did have coffee out in the evening on some days. (It's owned by the same people, so they should really upgrade a few things in this hotel to make them the same level.) It was disappointing that this wasn't up to the level we expected after seeing how nice the entry area and the restaurant are.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is one of the best locations when attending a graduation at the University of Michigan. A speedy check-in, friendly staff and on the morning of the graduation, they even provided a "grab bag" breakfast ($6.00 extra charge) to take to the stadium. The highway to return to Detroit Airport is literally two minutes from the hotel. Again, Great Staff!

Room Tip: Spring the extra $ for the club level -- well worth it. Breakfast is a bit of a buffet and table ser...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James R
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed for two nights at the Kensington Court Hotel. The check-in staff are helpful and efficient. As I had a car, the hotel was quite convenient. Easy access from the freeway, across the street from a huge shopping center, and only 10' drive from the University and downtown. The location is excellent for someone with a car.

The room was comfortable. Good shower although more strength in the water flow would have been good. Bed was comfortable. Pillows were great. TV was fine and the choice of channels good. Free internet and free parking :)

My one complaint was about breakfast. I stayed in the Executive area, which has a lounge room including breakfast. The first day the lounge did not have bowls or spoons so I ate my porridge in a dish with a fork. Coffee cups ran out. No-one is around to help and no number to call. The next day the person in charge walked in and I and others asked for bowls and spoons. She tried to find some and came back 10' later without success. The fruit was OK, the bagels not so good, the coffee acceptable but the absence of bowls, cutlery and service unacceptable. Otherwise the hotel was great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank bcsanders
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Weather outside was three degrees and heater was blowing cold air. The hotel I notified them and never fixed since at 10:30 room was at sixty. Of course got the run around manager will be notified, can we bring you blankets. I asked for a space heater and good none available yet when I checked out the hotel front desk had one for themselves but did not consider the guest. My thoughts two star hotel...and fixing the front entrance which has been going on for months does nothing for customer service.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank sesshi101
Hastings, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

I stayed at the Kensington Court hotel in Ann Arbor, Mi this past weekend for my little sisters wedding. When we went to go eat breakfast in the morning at the restaurant(because we had a block of rooms my sister was told anyone staying got breakfast) we ordered and ate our food and then was told by our server only two free meals with each room. Well we had four people in our room and wasn't ever told we would only get two free meals til after we ordered and ate. How sneaky of them. My sister told our server she was told everyone got breakfast not two per room so the server went to go check and came back and said. Normally its only two but we will fix that for you sorry for the confusion. Which to me means its taken care of. To make a long story short. They ended up charging us for the breakfast that was supposed to be taken care of and when we brought it to their attention they said they couldn't fix it I had to wait til 1 when the manager got in. I asked the clerk to have her call me as soon as she was in at 1. 2oclock rolled around and she hadn't called so I called the hotel to talk to her and she told me she didn't have the authority as the front desk manager to refund my card, and that I would have to wait til 4 to talk to the sales manager. While we were still at the hotel before leaving they told me they refunded my sisters card the 20.00 when the 20 had been split between the two of us. I asked her why did she refund only one and she said because someone had to pay for breakfast...but we had both already paid for why refund if someone had to pay. So I wait til 4:30 and no call still so I call and ask for the other manager and she tells me before even hearing what happened tells me she isn't going to help me and there is nothing she can do for me. So I ask her if she even knows what happened and she tells me she doesn't. So I tell her and she tells me she needs to talk to the employees and she will call me back (which I don't trust because at this point no one has called me back.) I ask to be transfer to the highest person in charge in the hotel so I can speak with them because no one seems to have the authority to help me. So she transfers me to his voicemail and I leave him a message asking him to call me back Monday morning when he gets in so we can talk. Monday morning rolls around and he doesn't call me back so I call on my lunch and leave a message and he still doesn't call me back. So 4:30 rolls around and Im thinking he is probably going to leave at 5 so I call again and leave another message asking him to call me back before he leaves today so sure enough 4:45 he calls me and after explaining how horrible service I got he tells me he isn't going to do anything for me. That I ate the food so I am paying for it. That its my problem and not his. I have never had a place that I have paid money been so rude, disrespectful and unhelpful in my life. I also failed to mention that on my lunch break I checked my bank account and they ran my card for another 20.00 on top of the 10 they already charged me without my permission. So I asked him why I got charged another 20.00 and he said I don't know!! Now I know why his employees are so horrible at taking care of their customers because they have him as a leader. So be careful and watch your bank accounts because they did not have our permission to run our card another time after we left for that 20.00 again but they did anyway. And now I am paying 30.00 for a 20.00 breakfast that I shouldn't have paid for in the first place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends