“Nice Place close to U of M.”

The Kensington Hotel
Ranked #5 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Reviewed 2 September 2014

I was officiating a wedding at the Student Union (10 minutes away) and this was a great campus location that was not too close to the campus. The rooms are modest and the executive wing is a nice enhancement to the reservation. Traveling with an infant having a separate place to go after he goes to bed, where the monitor still reaches is a nice option.

Room Tip: Upgrading to an executive room is a nice option.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 August 2014

I recently stayed at Kensington Court for a conference. The hotel bills itself as "luxury", but we found merely serviceable accommodations. We were given a gift bag when we checked in, thinking it must be for the conference. When we got to the room, we found that it was actually a gift bag to somebody's wedding and had been given to us in error. Our first morning there, we woke to a puddle between the sink and the closet. We were asked to change rooms so that they could fix this, but we were given no compensation for this inconvenience of having to repack a weeks worth of clothes and toiletries during our lunch break. Housekeeping comes incredibly late every day and does the bare minimum. We got no replacements of cups or glasses that we used each day. While we did get clean towels daily, one day my friend's bed was inexplicably left unmade while mine was made. The sink was not rinsed out at all while we were there. The "gym" has minimal equipment and much of it was unusable: the upright bicycle had the control screen ripped off and so we could not adjust the resistance or distance traveled on it, and the buttons on the elliptical screen didn't work. None of these were big deals to us but don't coincide with the "luxury" label they are going for.

All of this being said, however, the week long conference was very well organized. The water was infused with different fruits daily, there were unlimited coffee and tea services, snacks galore, and the conference food was surprisingly good. The staff were very efficient as well. There were the inevitable temperature complaints that arise from having 250 people in one room but they tried to adjust the temperature to keep as many people satisfied.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here a few years back for orientation (and a great introductory rate), and again a few months ago for graduation (high room rate this time -- go figure, all the hotels in the area sell out). This hotel is is in a great location for visiting the University of Michign.

Our stay for graduation went very smoothly. Easy check-in, friendly staff, shuttles leave from the front door and on the morning of the graduation, and a "grab bag" breakfast ($6.00 extra charge) was offered on graduation morning for a quick breakfast option. (Food was not allowed to be brought into the stadium, so breakfast was eaten either in the lobby or on the shuttle bus.) The hotel offered a beautiful coffee service in the front lobby, with excellent coffee, a variety of milk/cream, flavorings, sweeteners, tea/cocoa, etc.

Guest rooms are nothing special, but we weren't spending much time in the room.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank halfcafqueen
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We recently stayed here for UofM orientation. Breakfast/location/decor was all fine - nothing special but adequate. Bottom line is I went home with a leg covered in bites. I let the front desk know about this and received minimal response. I would never stay here again or recommend this hotel. The reason being the actual fleas as well as the staffs apparent lack of interest to do anything about it or even communicate with an unhappy consumer. BUGS YUCK!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GrahamHotelSystems, Manager at The Kensington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear fruiliadvisor-
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you felt that your concerns were not taken seriously. I can assure you that when you notified the front desk of your concern of possible fleas in your room we immediately inspected your room with an exterminator and found no evidence of fleas. Your comments have also been reviewed with our Executive Housekeeper and her staff.

Alberto Rubio General Manager

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Dirty, expensive, cramped, dated. These are just a few of the words I could use to describe my experience with the Kensington Court. Don't let the fancy name fool you. I reserved a room here with the orientation discount. Based on the photos I thought it was nice and the price was good. Foolish me, I didn't check trip advisor or yelp before booking for move-in day. I booked my room for when I drop my student off. The cost is 2.5x what it cost for orientation. My experience this past weekend was terrible. The first room I received had its sliding door window face into the tile hallway. No sunlight, noisy with the towel carts rolling over the tiles, dated and dirty. The bathroom was far from clean. I moved my room across the hall. It wasn't as dated as the first room and had a window to the outside, although it was on the highway side. Wear ear plugs if you stay at this hotel. Walls are paper thin. Not worth the regular rate and if it's a football/move-in weekend you can't change your reservation. The one star is for the staff. They are pleasant and the common rooms are nice enough.

Room Tip: Based on friends' experiences upper floors are super noisy because of the highway. Get a floor o...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SiegelStudio
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed here for three nights at an incredible rate during University of Michigan parent orientation.

Located with numerous other hotels just off I-94 - convenient to UM and to highway access to Detroit, Kensington Court strives to be more than just a three star hotel and, at times, they succeed.

Rooms are average. The TV is a real pain to use (odd channel numbering, big delay each time you hit the up or down change channel button on remote, and no programming guide, so good luck finding your favorite programs.) The room has a desk with a chair that is way too low for working on a laptop. My room faced some sort of interior corridor, so you can't let in natural light without having people looking in.

The hotel offers free wifi, which worked reasonably well and a daily New York Times delivered to each room and USA Today in the lobby. Boarding pass printing available in the lobby. There was a basket with apples at the front desk that was stocked on days one and two and empty days three and four.

Buffet breakfast was fair, but the service friendly. Room service for dinner was very disappointing. Housekeeping was poor. Found someone's sweat pants under the bed two days into my stay, so that was untouched for cleaning - and not corrected despite my complaint to the front desk. Disgusting.

Most notable is that the staff wasn't especially welcoming or friendly. The exception was a woman who staffed the desk in the evening who couldn't have been nicer.

This is better than many similar properties but could be so much more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face an interior corridor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank davidrA3168AF
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Recently stayed for the weekend for a wedding. Room was very spacious. Hallways are a little "Shining-esque" they seem to go on and on forever and got lost a few times. Perfect location for nearby UofM, restaurants, and highway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple