“Rooms too small”

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Dover, New Hampshire
“Rooms too small”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

The rooms were clean but way small. The beds were ok and the food at breakfast was plentiful. The staff was friendly and helpful with getting food in the morning before we left. No elevator, stairs really rusty. They started painting with an power sprayer at 8:00 Saturday morning, not appreciated !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Yorba Linda, California
Reviewed 16 May 2013

My fiance and I booked 2 nights at the Red Roof Inn, University South. We arrived late at night, so you can imagine how we looked forward to settling in and relaxing when we got to the room. Unfortunately, we ended up running away to the Marriott down the street!
Let me clarify a few things:

1) Price: Great for the budget traveler. We were looking for budget and we should have been prepared to expect what we paid for. Red Roof offered a great deal, $59+ taxes per night.

2) Staff: Excellent! The staff was very professional, nice, understanding and helpful. Honestly, can't say enough good things about the people working there.

So...you're thinking great price and great staff, what's the problem?

3) Room Accommodations: Rather awful. While the bathroom sink and floors appeared to have been recently upgraded, the rest was run down. From the moment we opened the door (actually, had to lug our heavy luggage up outdoor stairs because no elevator access that we could find) we knew this Red Roof wasn't for us.

First, the light switch didn't work. So we had to wander into a pitch black room and grope for a lamp. When we switched it on, I had a Bates Motel moment.... The floor had bits of wall stucco all over the carpet (making me think it hadn't been vacuumed). The furniture had very noticeable chips and wear. Someone left a used Sierra Mist bottle on the shelf. The cushioned chair presented a big grease stain. The toilet had heavy urine stains in the bowl as though it hadn't been cleaned properly for a while. The white bath tub was streaked with dirt (or very deep, brown stains).

The beds were old and sagged in the center. Worst, the door was suspect. It didn't close properly, so we didn't feel safe (despite the 3 locks, being an outdoor access room we needed a solid door) staying or leaving our items (clothes, mac book, etc.) while gone. No iron or ironing board (my fiance needed these for his suits the next day!). Didn't find a coffee maker in the room either. Overall, just very rundown, outdated and dirty.

We felt really bad, but the only positive in the room was the complimentary wi-fi (open access, required no password, so I don't know how secure it was).

My fiance went downstairs 30 mins after we arrived and told them we didn't feel comfortable and the room wasn't what we were expecting. They were very understanding and offered us another room or, if we didn't choose to stay, a full refund.

We chose to go with the refund and walked to the Marriott where all the listed complaints above were not an issue. Normally, we aren't that anal, but when you go on a vacation (even a short one for family visits) you want to enjoy yourself and feel comfortable. Although we paid double at the Marriott, it was worth the extremely comfortable bed and clean room.

Sorry Red Roof, maybe in the future?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kitkat2986
MAGGIE S, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. In most cases, complete refunds are not issued after anyone has entered the room and used it for some time. I was glad to see that our front desk staff was able to fully refund you after your use of the room did not meet your expectations and our alternate room accomodations offered were of no use to you.

Maggie S.

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed 4 May 2013

My husband and I came to Ann Arbor Friday May 3rd for our sons graduation. We planned on staying the night and attending the commencement ceremonies Saturday morning. The room was $140 for the night which was not expensive but also not cheap. The room was dirty with a foul odor, the toilet seat had stains, and there were bugs floating in the bowl. We elected to forfeit the $140 and drive home after having dinner with our son. We'll drive back up in the morning. The only good thing I can say about the Red Roof Inn is it makes you appreciate being in your own bed.

Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sailingtheworld2gr
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointing state of your room.

I'm sorry that you did not feel comfortable addressing this issue with me personally. I have, however, visited the room and shared my findings with the housekeeping manager. Corrective measures were taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At Red Roof Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,

Magdalena S.

Ontario's Highlands, Canada
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I have stayed here before and the rooms are fine. Bathrooms could use some more elbow grease.
This time around we were awaken during the night, abt 2:30 by a drunk individual returning from the bar, swearing at some kids she had left alone in their room. Not a great night sleep........
The front desk never asked us about our stay.
A note to front desk, Canadians need the printed receipt to return across the border.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 724Mal
msayed, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this review, 6 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at our Red Roof Inn. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the noise caused you.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future. At our Red Roof Inn, it is our intention to have your confidence in our abilities to prevent similar problems in the future and I will be forwarding your comments to both our front desk staff as well as housekeeping. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for sharing your concerns and I hope you will give us the opportunity to better serve you at Red Roof the next time your travel plans require lodging.

Very truly yours,

Canton, Michigan
Reviewed 17 April 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights. It is located at walking distance to a gas station and burger king. Room was clean, quiet and with newer furniture and TV (Samsung LCD). Internet speed was upto 5mb/s (checked thru Speedtest.net)- very good for a hotel offering free wifi. Front staff (dealt with 4 people) was extremely professional and helpful. Good Breakfast- Not many items but whatever was served was good quality. 24 hr access to coffee in loby. Overall, a comfortable stay. Would stay again whether staying solo or with family

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
msayed, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I'm so glad that you were able to avail yourself of our amenitites, and that our location worked so well for you. Your feedback is encouraging, and, of course, always welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I booked this while visiting my daughter in Ann Arbor on 4/11/13 because of the location, good value, and pet friendliness of this hotel. The evening and morning desk staff were wonderful, and the room was clean and very nice. I wish more hotels were "pet friendly," as this is a welcome amenity for those of us who travel with our "other" kids... :) Will stay there again if I return to Ann Arbor.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
msayed, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this review, 15 April 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. The feedback from our guests is quite welcome as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services, and it sounds like our staff treated you quite well.

Zionsville
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I have stayed at this Red Roof Inn numerous times over the years. This past week, Courtney at the front desk was a tremendous help. I always appreciate someone who will take the extra time to make my stay a little easier. She was kind, patience and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
msayed, General Manager at Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor - U of Michigan South, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
I'm glad you took the time to share your comments. Experiences such as yours exemplify the quality of our services, and serve to further inspire our staff.

I'll be sure to forward your remarks, and thank you again for sharing your experience. We look forward to seeing you the next time Michigan is in the Sweet Sixteen!