“Budget Friendly”

Ranked #26 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Marysville, Michigan
“Budget Friendly”
Reviewed 18 October 2008

I needed a cheap place to stay one night and this was very good.

Continental breakfast was OK; room was comfy; bathroom is small, but sink area roomy.

Wireless internet didn't work, but not for lack of trying by the staff.

I'd recommend for anyone needing a room for a couple nights - not much more than that, but that's all you need sometimes.

• Liked — Affordable and clean
  • Disliked — Wireless internet didn't work
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed 17 May 2008

After reading some of the other reviews, I was hesitant to stay at this hotel. However, because we were looking for a budget hotel my husband and I decided to give it a try, and I'm happy we did. The hotel looks sort of rundown from the outside, but the staff was friendly and professional, the room was clean, and the complementary continental breakfast -- although not anything spectacular -- was a great way to save some money on breakfast. Also, while at some hotels the continental breakfast looks like it was set out and then forgotten about, here there was someone checking up on it every ten minutes or so, adding more food, emptying the trashcans, and wiping down the tables. All in all, I'm very glad we chose this hotel, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive hotel. It was nothing special, but for less than sixty dollars a night it exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
Mount Pleasant, Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2008

I took a chance on this location after reading the reviews here on Trip Advisor. I was in Ann Arbor attending a weekend of teaching by His Holiness the Dalai Lama and just wanted a place to call home while in Ann Arbor.

The room was modern and clean. The front desk staff were very friendly. The free continental breakfast was quite simple and a nice addition to what I consider to be a very reasonable price of $55 per night.

I couldn't have asked for a better experience considering what I paid. I will say that the bathroom is indeed small, the television only gets about 20 channels, only about half of the free expresso options were available as the others were out of order, and the walls were pretty thin as I could hear people coming and going and also conversations in the room next door as I was trying to take an afternoon nap.

The room was clean! The staff friendly! The price was cheap! If you just need a place to crash while in town, this is a steal! If you are planning on spending lots of time in the room I would probably stay someplace else, but if you want something affordable and practical then this is it!

• Liked — the price was a steal for what you get / continental breakfast
  • Disliked — thin walls
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Milano, Italy
Reviewed 10 September 2007

I stay in many hotels, from simple 3 stars (like this one, supposedly) to 5 stars. But one of the things that is most important for me is the price/quality ratio. The Red Roof Inn Ann Arbor South is a hotel that scores just optimal on this ratio!!!

Having stayed in one Red Roof Inn before, namely in Victoria BC in Sept 2006, I wanted to try this one as well. Actually I wanted to stay in one of the many other hotels around exit 177 near Briarwood Mall (as a group was staying there), but the price of the other hotel was a bit too high for what it seemed to offer (125usd pn). So I started looking for another hotel, and found the RRI, which cost only 60usd, including taxes, breakfast, free wifi. A great value by definition. Moreover, the room is just really comfortable. The bed room itself is large, very clean and has a litle table, two drawers, a little fridge, microwave. The beds are great, nice soft top with fluffy pillows, it seems all new. Certainly the place is spotless clean, something that cannot be said about the much more expensive places. The bathroom is a bit older, but also clean and just exactly what you need, including shampoo and soap.

The breakfast is typical american (baggle, some "minute maid" OJ, coffee machine with different types of coffee and chocolate, some fruit, danish pastries etc. Just exactly what you find at the more expansive places. All machines were new and again spotless clean.

Staff is friendly, helpful and responsive. I wanted to check in early and also check out late... no problem for them. They also helped me with some other issues.

All in all I'm writing such a long review because I really think this hotel is just a fantastic choice. Not only does it offer a fantastic price/quality ratio, but also in absolute terms it is a very good place to stay. Comparing it with real 4 stars (i.e. hotels that actually earn this degree of recognition) I believe this hotel comes very close! So, another supergood Red Roof Inn experience!

• Liked — great quality/price ratio
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank Flying_Dutchguy
Aussie in America
Reviewed 19 April 2007

I recognise that it was not an expensive motel however I would highly recommend paying a bit extra to stay somewhere nicer.

PROS:
- Across the road from Briarwood Mall (although it is a very busy road to cross).

CONS:
- Very poor reception staff. Not interested in you at all.
- Didn't accept travellers checks, the ATM was broken and I couldn't do an online transfer so I had to walk to the nearest gas station to find an ATM (thankfully not too far)
- Forced to haul a 75 pound suitcase up (and later down) a flight of stairs as no one would help when I asked for assistance (I am a small female!)
- I was there for New Years Eve and there were at least 50 people partying VERY loudly in the parking lot until 3 or 4 in the morning.. not a thing was done about this. I felt very unsafe.. I literally had my suitcase against the door (maybe it's lucky it was so heavy after all?)

The only good thing about my stay was its location across from Briarwood Mall.. however there are many other hotels as close or closer which seem to be much, much nicer.

• Liked — Location across the road from a mall
  • Disliked — Very poor staff
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank laurrrenk

Travellers are raving about these Ann Arbor hotels

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 23 August 2005

I'm sure this once was a nice hotel but that it no longer the case. Our first problem occured as soon as we arrived and tried to open the door - we found out from the guests in the next room that you need to "play" with the card and swipe it slowly and then quickly several times to get your door to unlock. Once we were finally inside the deadbolt on the door and the chain lock were both broken - we obviously didn't feel safe.

The carpet in the room was filthy leaving our socks and feet black. Wallpaper was peeling in several areas. The grout in the bathroom was black and the fixtures looked ancient. There were stains on the bathroom ceiling and it was gross. We also had 2 ashtrays in a non-smoking room. The fitted sheets on the bed did not fit and there were holes in the blankets.

To make matters even worse there were cockroaches!!! I'm not sure how many my husband killed in the 2 nights we stayed there - he lost count.

Since we were there for the NASCAR race every hotel in Ann Arbor was filled to capacity including this one so we couldn't go elsewhere otherwise we would have. We didn't feel safe staying here and the kids were terrified even though they didn't see any bugs.

The good points about this hotel - the location is great. It is close to the highway and there are several restaurants in the area. It was also very quiet we couldn't hear the people above us or the people on either side, however, if someone walked by your room you could definately here them.

Bottom line, I'd rather sleep in the car than stay here again - at least it would be cleaner.

• Stayed August 2005