“Looks can be deceiving”

Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Hamilton, Canada
“Looks can be deceiving”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I was at this hotel for a conference. To be honest, I've not had good experiences with Holiday Inn, so my expectations were low. They dropped still further when I noticed that there was construction going on outside and renovation going on on my floor inside. So I was unprepared for my totally pleasant stay.
First of all, those renovations. There was no noise, no paint odor and no anything else.The inconvenience was limited to not being able to use the front door for one day. My room was clean, quiet, and had a fridge and microwave. Amenities were also decent. As were the conference rooms.
The hotel restaurant was also excellent. Food totally surpassed expectations and ranged from pub offerings like quesadillas to steak and chicken and pork chops. Portions were huge and quality was excellent. And the serving staff additionally deserved high praise. They were friendly, efficient, and good at answering questions. . And the prices were extremely reasonable . I would definitely eat there again; it was an enjoyable experience.
Additionally, there are plenty of other places withing walking distance, including a very nice cheap and cheerful Korean restaurant (not recommended for those who like their food bland), some chain restaurants, a drugstore, and a small and somewhat upscale grocery store.
Both front desk staff and restaurant staff couldn't have been more helpful. And as for the price, it was overall extremely inexpensive for the quality of room and service. And the hotel has a shuttle that will take you to downtown Ann Arbor and then pick you up again. Big bonus for those of us who don't drive and get tired of being cooped up in the hotel.
Loved it and hoping to go back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had to make a last minute reservation for a hotel that was pet friendly. I tried all the usual ways to book this hotel since we had stayed here one Thanksgiving and it was decent. Anyway I found the rates were rather high for us. Finally I went over to Price line and I got a really good rate for the hotel. However the surcharges for the pets were rather steep ($21/pet/night). Thanks to Priceline rate we came away fairly unscathed or this weekend trip could have set us back almost $500.

Pro:
Ground floor reserved for pet loving customers. This is good because walking the dogs in the morning and late at night is convenient. Also I do not want to pay for a room that smells of pets when I don't have my pets with me. So I assume the other floors are pet free. Rooms were large but they didn't have king bed rooms available by the time we checked in - not sure if they had any on this floor. Looks like they may have done some refurbishing of the rooms. Rooms did not smell of pets.Free wifi available which had decent connectivity while we were there. I am not sure how many rooms were occupied. The rooms had hard and soft pillows marked and available - Nice touch.

Cons:
No breakfast served. They don't advertise it.

Room Tip: We got stuck with the rooms next to the exit door so every time someone came in our dogs barked and...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 29 August 2013
Dear luckytravelwife,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent experience with us. I appreciate the kind words about our property, clean and comfortable room and pet friendly amenities. As for the breakfast, free continental breakfast is offered at our Holiday Inn Express chains, I see that you have stayed in a Holiday Inn which is a full service hotel. They offer a variety of services and amenities such as full service restaurants on site. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.