Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan
Bell Tower Hotel(Ann Arbor)
US$220
US$202
Hotels.com
US$88
US$79
ComfortInn
US$157
HolidayInn.com
Candlewood Suites - Detroit/Ann Arbor(Ann Arbor)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$154
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ann Arbor(Ann Arbor)(Great Value!)
US$158
Red Roof
US$150
US$145
Priceline
All reviewsthe indoor outdoor poolnice hoteltypical holiday innhockey tournamentbreakfast buffetfree shuttleattached restaurantconvenient locationfront desk staffvisiting familybusiness centerpleasant staybeds were comfortablefitness centerhospitaluniversitymichigan
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 1 night after a michigan home softball game because we went to the 1:00 game the next day as well. This hotel was very nice. The pool was awesome, my kids loved how the indoor and outdoor were connected and could swim in either one! It was very warm! My kids also enjoyed the little game area they had playing air hockey! The rooms were very clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here in the future!

Stayed: April 2014
TaushaV, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Awilson01,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback! The experience that you had with your family, is what we pride ourselves on. I look forward to passing your review on, we do hope that you will come and see us again in the near future!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

The location is great. Near hospitals and the University of Michigan. The very best restaurant and bar are there and it is called Doc Hollerins. The staff makes you feel so welcome. I go to Ann Arbor several times a year, and I feel like this hotel is my home. The restaurant staff are the epitome of mid-western friendliness. I am in this fantastic restaurant every night when I am in Ann Arbor. Love it. The hotel is very clean. The maids are some of the best. They are very nice people.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank kenneth j
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I had to visit the University of Michigan and when I called to make the reservation, the reservation agent was very nice and suggested since I was only there for one day, it was really unnecessary to rent a car. The hotel had a shuttle that could definitely take me to the university and later to the Amtrak train station. I made the unfortunate decision to trust her. Upon my arrival, I booked at the front desk who told me my daughter and I had seats on the shuttle at 8:15 am for arrival to the main campus at 8:30 am. We got on the shuttle and did not realize the driver was just going to the North campus to drop off some guys who were heading to engineering. When I asked the driver, he said he could not take me to the main campus as he had other passengers to pick up. Long story short, I finally got to the main campus through more negotiations on the phone with the front desk staff. I was half hour late for my appointment. The return trip was even worse. I called the hotel and they said the shuttle could not come to pick me up. I contacted 4 or 5 taxis who were all busy. I almost did not make my train. I was stranded in the middle of frigid temperatures without a vehicle. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Renae2006
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Dear Renae2006,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your overall stay with us. We pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced in particular with the shuttle and front office services. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We have sent you a private message regarding this unsatisfactory experience.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

I was expecting much more from these hotels. After a long and trying day at U of M with my child and having to go back there the next day they lost my reservation they did get me into a room, I was very disappointed in the food at the restaurant there. No one wanted to do anything about it. We had late check out but there were people already cleaning the other rooms at 9 o'clock in the morning what gives ? I will not being staying here and that's to bad because we have to be at the hospital at least 6 more times this year.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Melissa W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear Melissa W,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We have sent you a private message to address your concerns further.

Kind Regards,

Pam G
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The swimming pool at this Holiday Inn is an indoor/outdoor pool. The outdoor section of the pool is closed at the top with a tarp. There is no locked fence separating the indoor section from the outdoor section. Children swimming in the pool informed me that it was possible to swim from the indoor section to the covered outdoor section, which means that a child or adult can go from the indoor section to the outdoor section, be unable to come up from air, and drown.

When I spoke with the hotel staff on duty at the front desk and the maintenance staff, the maintenance man's first statement was, "There was a table there. One of the kids must have kicked it down." The staff then said they were going to shut down the pool. There is more, however.

I immediately went back to my room and called Holiday Inn's main number. They transferred me to the customer care line. The individual I spoke with at customer care was appropriately concerned. She said she would have the manager on duty call me. I responded by telling her that someone must have ordered a table (that's it? a table?) to be propped up there to begin with, and I wanted to speak with someone higher up at Holiday Inn because management on site clearly condoned this jury-rigged option ostensibly to prevent an individual from drowning.

While on the phone with customer care, the phone in my room rang. One of my roommates picked up the phone. The manager told her that the maintenance man's statement was taken out of context. My other roommate and I can easily vouch that it was not. The individual answering the phone then passed it to the individual who witnessed the situation with me.

The roommate who reported the incident with me spoke with the manager on site. The manager on site told her that the table was locked into place (how?) and that they would send divers to go back into the pool to lock the table back in place tomorrow. He acknowledged that the maintenance man was short and brusque with those of us who reported the incident and tried to placate my roommate by telling her that kids had been near the area and had knocked the table down before. If it were possible to knock the table down at all, why is swimming permitted at all while the outdoor portion of the pool is covered and a person-- including a child-- could drown?

Meanwhile, I was still on with customer care. The agent I spoke with told me that there would be a general manager there tomorrow morning to speak with us, and if that weren't acceptable, we could call customer care back.

If divers have to be called to re-install this table, how many people in management know that a wholly insufficient means of preventing children from possibly drowning is in place? I am absolutely appalled that a hotel pool is this fundamentally dangerous and that management knew that there was an insufficient means of blocking the path from the indoor portion to the outdoor portion and that they are choosing to remedy the situation by reinstalling the same shoddy method that did not work twice already this weekend.

There is a sign that says to swim at your own risk, which should mean that there is not a lifeguard present. The pool itself should be held to reasonable safety standards. Furthermore, management felt that it was enough of a risk to try to block the gap somehow, they were cognizant of the fact that it was a dangerous situation. The manager on duty told my roommate that the maintenance man was terse because he had told children at the pool that he had noticed kids had knocked down the barrier earlier today, but they did not close the pool until we walked up to the front desk and advised them.

Additionally, there was a boy in the pool wearing socks. His mother commented to me that was because his feet had become scratched on the bottom because chunks of the cement had become dislodged from the bottom, and he was injured by the pool.

Holiday Inn is totally negligent of finding an appropriate way of maintaining safety in the pool and of referring to hotel guests (in this case, children) with sufficient respect, which is an issue that goes far beyond merely putting up a sign that says to swim at your own risk.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Icehawk7
TaushaV, General Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Dear Icehawk7,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We understand your concerns and our guest safety is our number one priority. As soon as we were alerted that the temporary wall that secures the indoor pool to the outdoor pool had been compromised, we shut down the pool for guest safety reasons. This wall is made of thick plexi glass and requires multiple people to re-secure. Coincidentally this has happened twice in the last 5 years and it had happened on a group hockey weekend, the time before. It takes repeated force and numerous people to get this wall dislodged.

Your concerns are our concerns, the wall was re-secured first thing Monday morning when we had 3 people to correct the situation.

We thank you again and apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.