“Unprofessional”

Ranked #20 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
tappan
“Unprofessional”
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My reservation for a king size bed wasn't there
The room was so small ...
The dinner I ate made me wish I hadn't
But the no 1 complaint
Hotel tried to double bill me for the same meal
Once as a dining charge and than co-mingled with my hotel room
When I called the hotel to report the double billing Stephanie Michalik was anything but professional
If I hadn't looked the double billing, a clear violation, would have remained on my card
You have choices, don't let this hotel be one of them

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hopejudith
TaushaV, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Hopejudith,

Thank you for your review, we do appreciate your feedback. Regarding your reservation, we do try to honor each and every request for room types, especially when they have come across our system as another type. If we would have had the room type available, we would have gladly placed you in a king size room. I apologize that the room size was not to your liking, we did just fully renovate our hotel. While doing so, we were unable to expand the room type but we did do our best to stage the room with movement in mind.

I apologize but there isn't very much information on your restaurant experience, but I am sorry that you didn't feel it was to your liking. If you have the opportunity, I would like to hear more about your experience.

I have spoken with Stephanie regarding the double billing to your account, which I do apologize for the confusion. She did follow proper protocol, though we understand your frustration with us asking for a bit more information on the charge, we do have to follow checks and balances on our end. However, that error should not have happened and we do appreciate your patience.

Thank you again for taking the time to reach out, Hopejudith. If you are in the area again, we would like the opportunity to make it right and redeem our location for you.

Kind Regards,

Tausha Vargas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
Mentor, Ohio
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Nice place, we are in the exeutive suites to work for a few weeks. Room is nice except a couple of little things. I have a big king bed and lounge chair & tree outside my window which makes a pleasant view. Too bad I can't open the window for the beautiful weather we're having! Sunny 70s I hate AC unless it's hot, really wish I could have a breeze instead plus the AC is terribly loud. So you go from complete quiet to the unit kicking on so I didn't get much sleep the first 2 nights. Also - why do nice places like this give you cheap little plastic cups for the bathroom instead of a glass?

The pool looks nice, will go check it out today while I do laundry though I noted 2/4 machines were broke. Hope this doesn't take all day. But I do have all day since I HAD TO CALL OFF WORK YESTERDAY AND TODAY!!

Which is the real reason I'm writing to warn you NOT TO EAT IN THE HOTEL RESTAURANT. I got food poisoning from their Thursday night special of a small cheeseburger and fries. I started getting really sick in the early morning hours of 3 am thinking nothing major until I started with constant diarrhea and vomitting at 5 am until last night. I was so sick, tried to sleep as much as possible because every movement caused me to run to the bathroom.l Lost 3 hours of pay from yesterday and 16 hours of pay for today. I am HERE TO WORK, NOT SLEEP, so this makes me a very unhapppy camper. I am here for 2 more weeks and now will have to go elsewhere to eat too....

Room Tip: Personally I'd rather have a room over by the pool as it looks like they have patios meaning an...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank robineliza1961
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear robineliza1961,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the food selections prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We had a reservation with Hotels.com at this Holiday Inn made several months ago for an executive suite. When we got to the check in desk we were told that our reservation was cancelled. After arguing with the clerk, who happened to be rude, and calling Hotels.com, our reservation was found. The hotel clerk told us that our original room was not available but that we could get an inferior room. This was the worst experience we've ever had with a hotel reservation.
I would not recommend them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aee7
TaushaV, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Aee7,

Thank you for your review, I do apologize for your experiance and would like the opportuntity to speak with you regarding your Hotels.com reservation. There is limited information here for me to fully investigate your review further but I would like the opportunity to do so.

You can reach me directly at the hotel and ask for the Guest Service Manager.

Thank you.
Kentfield, California
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

If your a woman you will not like the bathroom counter space since there is hardly any to place any of your things. The hotel is a Holiday Inn Express so you get the free breakfast and it offers a fairly good rate and close to the university but this is a property in need of a facelift and that is on the inside. The bathrooms are very small and the bedrooms are standard Holiday Inn rooms

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Peter B,

Thank you for your review, I would like to just clarify for other guests that we are not a Holiday Inn Express. I wanted to make sure to address that part of the review first, so that future guests are not disappointed that they will not receive a free breakfast, as our sister property offers.

With the Holiday Inn Express comment, I am not sure if you did indeed mean to review our property? However, if so I do apologize that you felt our bathrooms were too small. Our property did just go through quite an extensive renovation overhaul last year, from exterior to interior. We did our best to uitlize every inch of our bathrooms to make them as spacious as possible. However, not being a newer property we were unable to expand the bathrooms to a larger size.

We appreciate your feedback, whether you meant to review our hotel or the Holiday Inn Express.
We do hope that your stay did not hinder your thoughts on our IHG properties, we come in all shapes and sizes. Our hope is that you remain a loyal customer.

Regards.
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here 1 night after a michigan home softball game because we went to the 1:00 game the next day as well. This hotel was very nice. The pool was awesome, my kids loved how the indoor and outdoor were connected and could swim in either one! It was very warm! My kids also enjoyed the little game area they had playing air hockey! The rooms were very clean and spacious and the beds were comfortable. I would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here in the future!

Stayed April 2014
TaushaV, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Awilson01,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we appreciate your feedback! The experience that you had with your family, is what we pride ourselves on. I look forward to passing your review on, we do hope that you will come and see us again in the near future!
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The location is great. Near hospitals and the University of Michigan. The very best restaurant and bar are there and it is called Doc Hollerins. The staff makes you feel so welcome. I go to Ann Arbor several times a year, and I feel like this hotel is my home. The restaurant staff are the epitome of mid-western friendliness. I am in this fantastic restaurant every night when I am in Ann Arbor. Love it. The hotel is very clean. The maids are some of the best. They are very nice people.

Room Tip: Any room is good.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kenneth j
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I had to visit the University of Michigan and when I called to make the reservation, the reservation agent was very nice and suggested since I was only there for one day, it was really unnecessary to rent a car. The hotel had a shuttle that could definitely take me to the university and later to the Amtrak train station. I made the unfortunate decision to trust her. Upon my arrival, I booked at the front desk who told me my daughter and I had seats on the shuttle at 8:15 am for arrival to the main campus at 8:30 am. We got on the shuttle and did not realize the driver was just going to the North campus to drop off some guys who were heading to engineering. When I asked the driver, he said he could not take me to the main campus as he had other passengers to pick up. Long story short, I finally got to the main campus through more negotiations on the phone with the front desk staff. I was half hour late for my appointment. The return trip was even worse. I called the hotel and they said the shuttle could not come to pick me up. I contacted 4 or 5 taxis who were all busy. I almost did not make my train. I was stranded in the middle of frigid temperatures without a vehicle. I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL EVER AGAIN.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Renae2006
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Ann Arbor / University of Michigan, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Dear Dear Renae2006,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your overall stay with us. We pride ourselves on delivering world class customer service and it is our regret that we failed to deliver an exemplary performance in this context. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you may have experienced in particular with the shuttle and front office services. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We have sent you a private message regarding this unsatisfactory experience.

Lera P