“A great place for a monthly visit” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Residence Inn Ann Arbor

Residence Inn Ann Arbor
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Petoskey, Michigan
“A great place for a monthly visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I work for a non-profit Networking Company headquartered at the University of Michigan. Though I live in Northern Michigan 300 miles away, remote staff visit Ann Arbor at least once a month to check in and talk with home office staff.

We (remote staff) have stayed at practically every hotel in the Ann Arbor, MI area, and found this one to be particularly welcoming and met our needs. I am pleased that it allows me as a person who works on the road to have a place to both gel and work. It's geared for us.

I am surprised by some of the reviews you'll find alongside of mine. It appears that "stomachdoc" didn't even stay at this specific hotel, as it is very new. He/she may have stayed at one of the older Marriott properties across on South State Street.

And, "luxury" is NOT what these hotels are for, but they certainly do not scrimp on detail and expense. The appliances (dishwasher, frig with full ice maker, disposal, and radiant cooktop) in this "extended stay" type of hotel are all brand new. The rooms are well-kept and show no signs of wear. No nicks on the woodwork, and the colors of the room are very easy on the eyes. I will say that I have stayed at excellent "Luxury All-Inclusives" in Mexico and the Carribean, and this place provides a very welcoming room after a day at the home office. It is not meant to be a vacation place (!!!).

Internet is particularly fast. And, while the Residence Inn of Ann Arbor has recently gone to the new "second tier" of paid Internet services (for streaming and gaming), the basic Internet is more than adequate for e-mail and browsing. Quite frankly, if you use the wired ethernet interface at the business-style desk, you can stream on a Roku very comfortably. I watched several Amazon, Netflix, and VuDu movies in hi-def on this basic service.

Jenna and the other staff at this hotel have always been accommodating to any needs we may have. While I am not a fan of continental breakfast, there is an abundance of free fruit and fresh coffee and tea in the lobby. Popcorn is waiting in your room, and the front desk staff provide you with two AquaFina bottles when you check in. There are refrigerated and frozen items for sale, as well as a small area for purchasing "forgotten items" such as pain meds, toothpast, etc.

i would place this hotel in the same category at "Extended Stay" suites (and there are two of the ES hotels within a mile of each other nearby).

Happy Trails!

Room Tip: Great for business travel. Ask for a view of the back, not the parking lot.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank grandste

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

Stayed here for 5 weeks with my 19yr old daughter. Although not luxurious, it was comfortable, clean, quiet and the staff very friendly. Location was good - less than 5 mins to Briarwood shopping mall and around 7 mins to downtown. We did minimal cooking as the kitchen was not well equipped - exhaust too weak and kept setting off the smoke alarm. Overall for what we paid, I would recommend this as a middle of the range hotel and would return to stay. Would chose a room on the top floor next time.

Room Tip: We chose a bedroom separate to lounge/kitchen configuration for the 2 of us. Very comfortable and pr...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hew111
Stephanie_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Hew111,

It was wonderful getting to know you and your daughter during your time with us at the Residence Inn Ann Arbor. It was truly our pleasure to accommodate you. Thank you for sharing the positive comments about our comfortable suite and helpful staff. We will be sure to take a look and the exhaust in your room. We hope you and your husband can make the trip back during the holidays!
Scarsdale, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Clearly this is an older hotel however the room was very clean and appeared to have been freshly painted. The layout was fine and the room was comfortable. If you are looking for luxury this is not it however for a short stay this is fine. The breakfast was good and the staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Nancy K
Stephanie_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Nancy K,

We appreciate you sharing your experience at the Residence Inn Ann Arbor. It is great to hear you enjoyed our breakfast, helpful staff and clean suites! Hope to see you again for another comfortable stay, take care!
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

First of all, the staff was lovely and the location is very convenient. The layout of the room we were in was a two-story affair, with the kitchen, sitting room and bedroom with two fulls on the first floor, and a loft sleeping area on the second floor--there was a bathroom on each floor.

As pointed out elsewhere, this property is in need of a complete renovation. The stairs leading up to the suites are made of rotting wood, and the rooms are incredibly tired, the kitchens look like they haven't been touched since the 80s. The worst thing of all is that the room smelled badly. Couldn't place what it was; I think that it is most likely mold.

I believe that the overall layout of the rooms are nice, but I am, frankly, very surprised that Marriott would allow a property to fall this far behind the regular cycle of soft goods/hard goods renovations/replacement. We are on a long trip visiting colleges and we are faithful Marriott Rewards users, and have basic expectations when something says "Marriott" on the door. Those expectations were not met.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank stomachdoc
Stephanie_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Stomachdoc,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn by Marriott Ann Arbor. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our convenient location, size and our friendly accommodating staff. We understand your concerns regarding the need for cosmetic updates to the property. This will be addressed in our upcoming renovation happening shortly. While you did address some safety concerns with our exterior stairs and room odor I can assure you the safety is perfectly up to code. We are sorry you expectations were not met with the property, we hope to see you again!
Poughkeepsie, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

In driving into the facility I could see immediately that this hotel was in disrepair. I've stayed in 100's of Marriott's throughout the years and have never seen buildings look like this, rotting wood, inferior landscaping and generally an OLD OUTDATED facility! In speaking with the manager (who by the way was a nice lady) I was assured the room we would be getting was a newly renovated room, and for the most part the room was nice and was clean. BUT, in calling down to get a wake-up call the first night we discovered both phones in the room did not work. We reported the phone situation the morning of the second day and it wasn't fixed when we left the morning of the fourth day. BUT, with that being bad enough, the toilet never flushed well and on the fourth day finally came to a complete halt. Talk about emotions running rampant, let alone the embarrassment. Without a phone to call the office I went to the janitors closet, which by the way I knew was the janitors closet since it was always open for all to see by a maids cart propping the door open.

Consequently, if you want to enjoy your stay in Ann Arbor try the Red Roof Inn or the Holiday Inn Express, try anything but this poor excuse for a Marriott!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Linda S, General Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear Christine S.,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about our hotel. Our entire staff is always dedicated to giving the absolute best customer service, and I am truly sorry that there were issues that we were unable to address during your stay. We did attempt to enter your room after becoming aware of the telephone and plumbing issues, but do understand that you were enjoying the privacy of your suite. As I had mentioned in our conversations while you were here, we are scheduled to receive a renovation beginning later this year which will provide a complete update to the hotel. I truly hope we have the opportunity to have you stay with us again in the future.
McHenry, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I came to Ann Arbor to consult at a local firm. My two-year stay at this vintage but well maintained inn ended up to be more than a place to lay my head. It was almost therapeutic. The view from my northwest corner studio was soothing and a good place live and work. It was very safe there.

I cannot say enough about the extraordinary professional staff. They were pleasant and responsive and I grew to love them all. Linda as Manager went out of her way to ensure all was right with my stay. Charlene, Marilyn, Shiela, and Sharon always made sure the room was immaculate and I had enough towels. Vladis the cook made the best stuff I ever ate. Vesse anticipated our every need. Cindy the desk clerk found my missing cell phone in the grass outside my room. Ricardo was expert in maintenance and fixed my leaky faucet and everything else that broke. These were my family.

If I ever return to Ann Arbor Michigan, I will stay no other place. It feels like home to me.

Room Tip: Inner (away from I-94) northwest 1100 building, ground floor has the easy walk to the pool, no need...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Stephanie_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Gary C,

It was our pleasure having yourself, your wife and two wonderful dogs for the past two years. On behalf of the entire staff of the Residence Inn Ann Arbor you all will be missed! Thank you for the compliments on our superb customer service, and the comfort of our suite. We are so touched you think of the team as family, as we do you. We hope to see you again soon for a visit!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

To say this hotel needs updating is an understatement. I knew when the cab pulled up to the door, I was in trouble. The entryway is old and crumbling. The staff seemed nice and accommodating. However, the room was far from typical Marriott standards. The air conditioning unit sounds like a bass drum is being played next door. The bed is hard as a rock. There's plenty of other hotels near by, so it's a no brainier to not choose this one.

Room Tip: Don't expect this hotel to be within walking distance to the mall. Yes, you can walk there, but...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SandFran4
Stephanie_AGM, Manager at Residence Inn Ann Arbor, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the Residence Inn by Marriott Ann Arbor. We appreciate your compliments on our staff service. We apologize for your less than satisfactory stay and your issues with our décor, air conditioning and mattress. The property is scheduled for renovation in the upcoming months that should address updating concerns. In regards to your other grievances if you could reach out and let us know your specific room so we could better resolve them feel free to contact us at ri.arrni.agm@marriott.com, thank you!