“Prearrival treatment was excellent, as was stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #15 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
los angeles, ca
“Prearrival treatment was excellent, as was stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

I should probably be writing too separate reviews, but I'll combine them into one.

Before my arrival, I connected with the hotel manager, Steve Smyka, since I had some special requirements and there were two different reservations for different nights, that I wanted to make sure were combined. Having had too much experience with hotels messing things up, I wanted to be sure this went smoothly.

The best way to describe this hotel's handling of these prereservations arrangements was "superb". They got me the bedboards I needed for my bad back, combined the reservations so I didn't need to change rooms and were very welcoming when I arrived. I know that is what you might expect from a hotel, but this is something I all too rarely see, and I do travel a lot. Everything was fully ready for me when I arrived. So, they get an "A" in my book for handling the prearrival arrangements.

When I arrived, they immediately made we welcome, conveyed a message to me left by a friend and throughout the stay were very accommodating and helpful.

While the hotel is not a Ritz Carlton, so its not a luxury resort. it is a very nice Sheraton/Starwood. The room was well equipped and spacious. I was staying on the Starwood Preferred Guest floor (I'm a member of their club) and had access to the Club Floor, which was very nice and helpful and a comfortable room. They have a pool, jacuzzi, workout room and restaurant and bar.

I was back there for a college reunion and a bunch of us were staying there. It was very comfortable for all of us. My son is applying for admission to Michigan and, if he is admitted, I know that this will be our regular hotel, where we will stay when we bring him to school and when we visit for parents weekend, so they made a long term loyal customer out of me.

You should know that this hotel is located near the expressway (not noisy, don't worry, it was very quiet and peaceful), so its not downtown Ann Arbor. However, that is only about 3 miles away, an easy drive. There is a shopping mall near the hotel with all the stores you could want and lots of restaurants around the hotel. But its not a simple walk to campus or the football stadium. However, there really aren't too many hotels in the downtown area, so unless you absolutely have to stay near campus or downtown, this place is perfectly located and has easy access. Plus, free parking and no resort fee for using gym, pool, jacuzzi, etc.

One of the things I particularly liked was the fact that Steve Smyka, the manager, reviews the Tripadvisor's reviews and is responsive to any issues raised in reviews and appears to be concerned about any issues faced by guests. He certainly went out of his way to make sure I felt welcomed by the hotel, which I appreciated.

Room Tip: Try to get on top two floors, which are Starwood Preferred Guest or Club floors. Access to the club...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2011
Dear wilshireguy:

Thank you so much for your business, kind words and great endorsement for the Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel - I appreciate all beyond words!

I am elated to here that you enjoyed the visit and the reunion went well. We're all pulling for your son to also become a UM student - GO BLUE!!!

Please let me know if I can do anything for you or him upon his acceptance. Looking forward to serving you again soon.

Steve-

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

We were supposed to stay on the club floor-when we arrived we were given key to the floor but the room was being cleaned-we returned downstairs-long story short, the extras one usually gets on this floor were not available due to a flood up there-so they offered us a room on the 2nd floor-(near an elevator which I could hear squeaking throughout the night). The management was responsive about the club floor and refunded some of my money and gave us complimentary breakfasts-I felt that the management cared about rectifying problems-we also liked the pools and hot tub a lot!

Room Tip: Try not to be near elevator
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Dear TravelinGal45:

Thanks for your business and affording us the opportunity to serve you - I appreciate it very much.

My apologies for the sprinkler head mishap that deterred from the typical Club Level & Lounge experience for you. We did provide the services in Share Restaurant & Lounge though I realize it's not quite the same.

I hope your future travels bring you back to Ann Arbor and look forward to serving you with all cylinders firing. Until then, please call on me if I may be assistance in any way.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

This was a great hotel in a great location in a great city! We are traveling with 3 children and the hotel was perfect! The decor is fresh, modern, clean and still warm and inviting. The gym was very nice. The beds were super comfy. The pack and play was sent up right away and the room service food.was very good and not super over priced! There is an indoor and outdoor pool that could use some updating but besides that the whole hotel looked remodeled! Also there is a mall right down the street, a whole foods market and a microwave, refridgerator in room AND laundry room at the end of the hall that I wish I would have noticed before we were checking out.

• Stayed October 2011
Dear ChristieP79:

Thank you for your business and kind words for the Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel - we're all very proud of our property and sincerely appreciate your recommendation.

I am so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your experience with us and the area. We hope to see you all back soon and look forwarding to serving you then.

If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Stratford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

We stayed at the Sheraton Ann Arbor hotel for the September/Oct 1 weekend while attending the Michigan/Minnesota football game.. The staff were helpful and very courteous. The restaurant, pool and fitness area were excellent, and the best part was that we stayed free on points. I would highly reccomend this hotel for anyone planning a trip to Ann Arbor. Well done to ALL the Sheraton Staff

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear tgropp:

Thanks so much for your business and taking the time to provide feedback on your experience with us. We're all delighted to here that you enjoyed the service and facilities and really appreciate you consuming your hard earned Starwood Preferred Guest points with us!

We hope to see you back for another visit soon and look forward to serving you again. If I may be of service in them meantime, please call on me.

Athens Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2011

Stayed there for a week in the end of August, as my son is a freshman at UMich.

Biggest complaint is that the windows do not open, so there always a smell of staleness in the whole building. There is no fan in the bathroom, so when you take a bath, the steam soon escapes to the room and the windows get misty! The alternative is to turn on the a/c in the room, but then it gets really cold, if you set a bit warmer, it starts smelling mould. I know that the place gets really cold in the winter, but that’s no excuse for the fixed windows.
Also, there is normally a long queue at the front desk, hotel is understaffed.

Not really a Sheraton!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Dear Adamtsal:

Thanks very much for your business and providing us with this detailed feedback on your recent experiences.

I'll see if we can determine where you stayed and check the operation of the bathroom draw fan on the roof. Our new room heating & cooling units do have a fan only setting which does circulate outside air continuously if desired. Likewise, I'll also dig into the front desk staffing and make sure we're prepared for the volume anticipated.

If I can be of any assistance to you in any way, please call on me. I look forward to serving you again in the near future to much improved reviews.

Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stayed here for business. Recent renovations make this an upscale comfortable hotel. Conference rooms still need some work. Great room rate too!

• Stayed September 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Dear disneydoc:

Thanks for your business and kind words regarding your stay with us.
I am happy to announce that our conference and event facilities will undergo their transformation in January bringing them up to the level of the rest of our hotel.

Hope your travels bring you back to our area to experience the results in a few months. Until then, if I can be of any assistance to you, please let me know.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

This hotel is a ultra modern facility, everything appears well thought out
Entire hotel is clean and pleasantly decorated
We stayed on the 6th floor, Club room, this was not an upgrade but something we paid extra for, so I was a little disappointed to find it did not run as a true "upgrade"
It had easy key access with sodas and water available 24 hours
But it had limited breakfast with mostly pastries and donuts, coffee and cappicino maker but all is whisked away EXACTLY at the moment it states, tried to get coffee at 9:31 and they were already wheeling it down the hall, all is carefully "guarded" by a host/hostess, all of whom were very friendly and helpful, but also seemed to be the guardian of the food/drinks and watched everything we put on our plates which I felt was a little "creepy"
Nice display of fruits and veggies in the evening but very small offering, usually gone within the first half hour,and never replenished, the club room itself is spacious, has a few big tables, some comfy chairs, large screen tv and a printer/computer for quick printing of your boarding pass
Our room overlooked the pool area and was large with a king bed and sofa bed
The bathroom is large with full tub/shower and plenty of vanity space. But here again, there were very small bottles of shampoo, conditioner, lotion and these were never replenished until I finally asked a maid in the hall on my 3rd day (I had run out the day before and had to add water to the bottles). She easily put another in our room but...I am used to having it replenished or a few bottles left for me to use at my leisure.
The room has lots of drawers,a roomy desk, nice desk chair, but very small closet space, especially for two business travelers trying to hang their suits, etc.
The bed was very comfy with soft sheets and comforter, lots of pillows.
There is a small bar in lobby, good service each time we visited.
Also a small restaurant where we had Sunday buffet:which had made-to-order omelets, fresh fruits,the brunch had salad bar, hot meats, desserts.
All in all a decent hotel with friendly, helpful staff but there seemed to be a bit of cost-cutting especially in the areas mentioned above that I associate with lower end hotels, not a Sheraton.
I also do need to mention our last night at the hotel, something went wrong with the electrical system, which seemed to go off and on throughout the night. It seems to have been going on the day before while we were out as there were workers pulling ceiling tiles on our floor and lots of ladders, etc about. No explanation of any kind was given and as we had an early flight out, we did not get a chance to ask for some type of reimbursement to our loss of sleep due to everything in our room and in the hall going off/on throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, nice view. I wouldn't want the rooms on the main floor as...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank laenie
Dear laenie:

Thanks very much for your business and taking the time for your detailed feedback - I appreciate both a great deal.

I have addressed the Club Level staff to relax the tight control over the food and room a bit...sorry if we came off that way. The middle of the night power failure you experienced affected 1400 business and residents in the area until 5AM apparently the result of a rodent making home in a transformer.

Let me know the next time you're in the area and I'll make certain you're well taken care of for all the inconvenience. In the meantime, if I may be of any assistance, please call on me.