“Nicely Renovated Hotel”

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 June 2012

This Sheraton Ann Arbor is the nicest hotel in the area. The ones surrounding it are quite a ways down the list with the exception of Courtyard next door. It is however the only full service hotel and I have to recommeded it. I am typically a Marriott guy but this Starwood property is the best place to stay in the area.

Parking is plentiful and it is near enough to all parts of the University of Michigan campus. If there is an event or graduation make sure to book early as the other hotels pale in comparison.

The rooms are nicely accomodated and the wireless internet is satisfactory. Not as fast as home but better than many hotels out there. The staff was friendly generally helpful.

One issue I had in my many times staying there was the reservation system had a glitch that showed a price and the hotel refused to honor that price. The staff said it was the fault of website not the local hotel. Well, sorry, but if you associate yourself with Starwood and don't honor the rate I got off their website, it is your problem. None of the rates were honored and they raised it from what I had been paying in the weeks before by $10.

As long as you get the rate they quote you, it is a very nice hotel. If not, be prepared to pay up to whatever rate they say you need to pay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Dear Steven G,

Thanks very much for your business, kind words and glowing recommendation of this hotel and staff!

I will research the rate issues you mentioned - whatever rate is confirmed is what we honor.

If I can be of any assistance in any way, please call on me personally.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

Hotel was very clean, rooms were recently renovated. Bed was extremely comfortable and also bedding was very plush. We received free wine tasting which was a bonus. When we arrived they didn't have our rooms next to each other like promised so they moved our rooms. Also the shuttle wasn't available like promised, so they had Laura at the desk drive us into town (she was a blast!!). So they had great customer service as far as I'm concerned. Would recommend to anyone!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Dear SandalsBound,

Thanks so much for your business and taking time to share your comments with us - both are appreciated immensely.

My apologies for the room assignment and shuttle mis-ques but glad to hear we accommodated your requests. We're glad you had an enjoyable experience and really appreciate your recommendation.

Hoping to serve you again in the near future. If I can be of any assistance in the meantime, please let me know.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

We try to stay at Sheraton's when we can, and this one did not let us down. Nice beds, good location, and nice decor. Plenty of parking which was a good thing due to the spread out nature of the property. We ate dinner in the hotel restaurant, and were pretty surprised that there weren't more people eating there. I had the Shrimp Scampi and my husband had the Seafood pasta. Both were excellent and well prepared.

Check in was quick and the ladies at the desk both pleasant and efficient. Quite a few guests at the hotel, but it didn't feel crowded. I will definetly come back and stay again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear av8tr,

Thank you very much for your business and sharing your experiences. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Share, our small plate bistro and our service & accommodations.

We all hope to see you back soon and appreciate the opportunity to serve you. If I may be of service in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

All Sheraton's have a quality control built in so we as travelers don't get a big disappointing surprise but it's pretty neat when the rooms are newly renovated, all crisp and fresh like this one in Ann Arbor. My friend and I had plenty of room in our double queen room and we made our own Starbacks coffee in the room each morning. For sure I will book this hotel each time I find myself in this part of Michigan....yes and no need to bring your own pillow.... They are marvelous!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kwickwireTO
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear wixie,

Thank you for your business and sharing your experience with us - glad you enjoyed the services and facilities. I am extremely proud of both.

Hope you do have the need to return to Ann Arbor and look forward to serving you again when you do. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was a little concerned when I read some of the other reviews for this hotel, but I'm glad I booked a room here. I was in town on business, just for one night, and my normal spot in Ann Arbor was booked.

The rooms have recently been redone, and I think the lobby has been completely updated, too. The lobby was spacious with a nice bar area and spots to sit in small groups. My room was very comfortable, clean, and everything was in good working order - no signs of obvious wear and tear.

I didn't require much in the way of service from the staff, but they were helpful with recommendations for a restaurant and when I requested a late checkout time. I would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad side to this property. It is very near to Interstate 94, but I didn...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ole_Roll

Dear Ole_Roll,

Thanks for your business and trying us out - glad you enjoyed the experience and hope we will become your "normal spot" for future visits to Ann Arbor.

If I can be of service in any way, please call on me personally.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

My son and I visited University of Michigan recently and chose to stay at the Sheraton Ann Arbor. I always travel with a pillow because of bad experiences with hotel pillows. I forgot mine, but it was no problem because the 4 plump, squishy pillows on each bed were wonderful. The beds were very comfortable with crisp, white bedding. The room had a fridge, microwave and a great coffee maker with Starbucks coffee. The bathroom was new and clean. There was a breakfast buffet that wasn't cheap, but had great fruit and everything you could want. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor. I think if you were on the first floor the lights from the parking lot m...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Hattie2610

Dear Hattie2610:

Thanks very much for your business, kind words and recommendation! We hope to see and serve you again soon. If I can be of assistance in the meantime, please call on me.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stayed here for two nights with family, we had booked a room for 3 adults and 2 kids, we called before to confirm that there would be two double beds, and one extra bed in the room for us. When we came the extra bed was missing, since we did not needed it for the first night, my wife went to the reception to make sure we had it the following night, they said that if there was one available we could get it. This was not something I would expect from a Sheraton hotel, but is seems that we were lucky and the bed came the day after.
The first morning the housekeeping woke us up at 8.30 to clean the room, I told her that we were still sleeping, and that she could come back later, it seems that it was not ok for her, because when we came back later that day the room was not cleaned, so around 3 pm I called the reception to make sure they would clean the room. At 5.30 I went to the reception to tell them that we were going out and that the room was still not cleaned, when we came back later it was cleaned. I asked how to avoid getting waken up around 8.30, and they said " put the do not disturb sign on the door" and that seems to have helped. This is the only hotel I have experience this at.
The gym is one of the better I have seen in a hotel at this level.
After all, it is an ok hotel, with a strange service, the rooms are clean, but for the price I would consider those on the other side of the same road.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank PerMouritzen
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear PerMouritzen:

Thank you so much for your business and taking the time to share your experiences during your recent visit with us.

My deepest apologies for the very untypical and poor service you experienced with my front desk and housekeeping teams. I assure you, the incidents you mentioned will be addressed.

If I can be of service in any way, please do not hesitate to call on me.