“Mixed experience - good and bad”

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Mixed experience - good and bad”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

The good: great beds, friendly restaurant staff and good food, nice pool (inside and outside), laundry room, "social computer lounge" in the lobby with a printer.
The bad: problems when checking in - check in staff was very unhelpful when confronted with a booking problem that was partially their fault. Some power points in the room didn't work. The pool was great for kids, but wouldn't be suitable to lap swimming at all (it's round and quite small). We were on the ground floor pool side and there were some noisy families around the pool outside until quite late. We had a family room with two double beds and there were only 3 towels in the room when we got in - felt a bit stingy! There is nowhere to change or shower around the pools at all.
Overall though it's a nicely run hotel and the rooms are very comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear LondonWorkingMum,

Thanks so much for your business and taking the time to share your experiences with us. Comments like yours allow us the opportunity to improve our product and service quality on a continuum.

I sincerely appreciate your objective feedback and apologize for the lack of help provided by my front desk team upon arrival as well as the issues you encountered throughout. I can assure you we take our roles very seriously and will address and correct the oversights.

We collectively hope you will afford us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor in the future. If I may be of service in the meantime, please let me know.

Steve-

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Lived up to the Sheraton name! Nice big rooms, beds were very comfortable and the furnishings tasteful and elegant. Didn't get to use the fitness room, but my son liked it. Will definitely stay here again.

Dear gprr,

Thanks for your business, kind words and recommendation - we appreciate it very much.

We hope to see you and serve you again soon. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Best-
Steve
Toronto, ON
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel 25 years ago, so I was really surprised to find how well this property was retrofitted recently. You would think it was just built last year! Everything in the public areas and in the hotel rooms is fresh and modern and very appealing. My son & I stayed here for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend for golf and a Michigan football game and we really enjoyed our stay. Agree with other reviewers that the beds are super comfy. Although small, the bathroom is nice also including the mirror with embedded lighting. Great workout facility and indoor/outdoor pool with hot tub. We liked how the bar area and food area and the lobby are all open and integrated. Staff was outstanding - we never encountered an employee who was anything other than friendly & helpful.

We did have a few speedbumps: 1) On Friday, we were gone from 9:30am to 7pm and our room was never serviced. 2) On Sunday when we got up, the shower handle was stripped on it's shaft and we had to take a washcloth bath in the sink rather than a proper shower. 3) The rooms have some kind of gravity-feed toilet that makes a huge roar when it flushes and then a loud whine after about 20 seconds - it wakes up everyone in the room if you get up and go in the middle of the night, even with the bathroom door closed.

Would have been a 5-star stay if not for these three glitches. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend this property.

Room Tip: We were in 311 facing the parking lot with the freeway off in the distance - never heard a sound!
Dear americanjim,

Thank you very much for your loyal business and taking time to share your experiences from your recent stay with us - I appreciate both a great deal.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the results of our transformation and the service my team provided.

I apologize sincerely for the untypical housekeeping oversight and maintenance defect with your shower. Yes, our new toilets do flush with authority - sorry for any disturbance that resulted.

We hope to serve you again next visit and earn your five-start rating! Please let me know if I can be of service in any way.

Michigan
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect during the super busy UMich move-in time, but the Sheraton hotel and staff far exceeded my expectations compared to other properties I've stayed in town. Rooms are updated, spacious & clean; the bed is super comfy; and the fitness facilities & pools (outdoor and indoor) were sparkling. Haven't seen such a happy staff in quite some time-- all are top-notch!! During a very busy time, each person I encountered was smiling, calm, pleasant, and happy. The entire Michigan football team and a hotel full of wedding guests were there during my stay, yet you'd never have noticed. The restaurant's morning breakfast buffet is a delightful standout, and comes with your room if you upgrade to club level. Huge shout outs go to staffers Rebecca, Janna, Chris and Giancarlo for exceptional service! Thank you for making move-in that much more pleasant-- your efforts are truly appreciated! The Sheraton will most definitely be our go-to hotel when returning for visits.

Room Tip: Become a Starwood Preferred Guest Member.
Dear chewettoo,

Thanks so much for selecting us taking the time to share your kind words regarding your recent experience. I'm elated to hear that the hotel and my team exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again on your next visit.

Please let me know if I may be of any assistance and GO BLUE!

Warm regards,
London
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The rooms are very clean and the bed is extremely comfortable. We were delighted by an unexpected upgrade to our room and everyone is very helpful and nice. We ate at the restaurant at the hotel and it was amazing!!! There was a huge wedding taking place but you would never have known it. It didn't at all interfere with our stay or dinner. Dinner was quiet and intimate and very reasonable priced for such a gourmet meal. I would recommend this hotel and will stay here again. Well worth the money to have such a great experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Sandra D,

Thank you very much for affording us the opportunity to serve you during your recent Ann Arbor visit.

I'm delighted to read that we exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again soon.

Let me know if I may be of service in any way, any time.

Best-
Steve
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I was in Ann Arbor for an annual training meeting the last week in July. I had stayed at this Sheraton a few years ago and it was very nice, but it has been totally remodeled since my last visit and they have done a superb job. The staff was unfailingly polite and helpful (no easy task with a couple of hundred conference-attending electricians roaming the lobby), and the rooms were off the chart comfortable. I have stayed in hotels that cost more than twice as much with beds not half as comfortable as these (see Rhonda's review: "crazy stupid comfortable" nails it!) The location is far enough from campus/downtown that you have a little breathing room, but only a three mile ($10) cab ride to Main Street arts and restaurants; if you prefer the public transportation, a public bus stop (all green energy) is only two blocks away. The managers, front desk staff, and housekeeping staff were all friendly and helpful, and the guests even very outgoing and welcoming! For your next visit to Ann Arbor, be sure to give the Sheraton a try!

Room Tip: The rooms with the sofa/recessed bar are great if you're staying more than a couple of days. Yo...
Green Features: Michigan is mad for recycling (thank goodness), recycling-specific wastecans are in each room and throughout the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Tyler364,

Thank you very much for your business and kind words regarding this hotel and my team! We sincerely appreciate your kind words and recommendation.

Hopefully we will see you again next year if not sooner. Please call on me if I may be of service in any way.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I visit Ann Arbor 3-4 times per year and prefer to stay at this Sheraton. Here's why:

The Rooms: Modern decor and a very comfortable beds. Complimentary bottle of water and nice toiletries,

Check-in: Generally painless and very quick.

Shuttle: Free shuttle service around Ann Arbor is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The hours very; check at the front desk.

Taxis: There is a taxi stand right outside with at least 1-2 cabs at all times. One-way fare to downtown is about $10, depending on where you stop.

The Lobby: Very chic. This type of Sheraton has a "social business lounge" with multiple computer desks in funky cubicles in the middle of a lounge. A nice departure from the typical closet-sized business center at other hotels.

The Bar: Stop here for a night cap or before you go out. Service is good, and the prices are fair, but Ann Arbor is home to too many excellent bars and clubs to spend the night at the hotel watering hole.

The Restaurant: Haven't tried it, but it's nice to know that room service is available for much of the day. It looks suitable for business meetings as well.

Room Tip: Get something on the club level; have your Starwood # handy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear ohiocitytim,

Thanks so much for your business loyalty and recommendations to this hotel - very much appreciated.

Hopefully you will have an opportunity to dine with us in Share Small Plate Bistro on your next visit - our food and menu is quite good.

If I may be of service in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Warm regards,