“Clean Hotel with very nice, warm pool =)”

Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel
Ranked #13 of 35 Hotels in Ann Arbor
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 September 2013

MARRIOTT: GOLD
STARWOOD: GOLD

For this particular stay i was looking for a little break away from daily life with the little one, and ofcourse to review another property ;)
Working my way toward Platinum with SPG this year and mostly staying off the Marriott's, this Sheraton in Ann Arbor seemed like a good match as the indoor/outdoor pool was a must this time.

CHECK-IN: I felt this part was a bit cold, it wasnt busy and the agent wasnt rude, just really had no demeanor at all, which leaves a cold impression. I had called SPG a few days before to try and make sure the upgrade could be accomodated but at check-in i was told the club-floor was full. I hope this was true because later on in the stay another agent said they look at Golds differently than platinums, odd comment..im sure i agree with that somewhat, but lets hope it doesnt mean you wont upgrade a Gold..we spend plenty as well my friend.

ROOM: This hotel is 6 floors if i remember, upper 1 or 2 are Club Floors. I was put on the 4th floor at the very end (furthest from desk). I am tired of looking at parking lots, this was two weeks in a row with this situation..hope it doesnt continue. A Plus was that the elevator was right outside my door allowing my daughter and i quick up and down but still the long walk, ugh. Also this location uses keycards that are very frustrating as they are hardly read easily by the monitors, especially when trying to enter from outside. Back to the room, it was small, thats really all i can say..clean, comfy bed..small.

HOTEL: We came for the pool and we enjoyed it. As stated above its indoor/outdoor which is cool and the little one loved it. Even though it was chilly outside the temp was 80 atleast in the pool so kudos for that..hottub was nice as well and unlike other hotels the chemicals mixture was spot on (in other words i didnt notice it). This hotel also has a nice loungy bar, i had a 3 year old so i could not partake, unfortunately i also missed the gym on this one but i assure you it exists.

ROOM SERVICE: ordered as i usually do twice, dinner was very dissapointing. Pizza for B was like something for $1 and microwavable. I ordered chicken sandwich and caeser salad, both were very soggy and were returned asap. They offerred to make a fresh pizza for me and that was good but definetely a let down here as i have always looked to Starwood room service to be good and we pay higher for that.

LOCATION: You do need GPS to find this property as its burried in the midst of office buildings, other hotels and the typical Michigan, what the heck is going on road situation. safe location i felt though and for adjacency to 94 and 5 mins from downtown Ann Arbor its perfect. Escpecially considering for some reason downtown Ann Arbor has no real good hotel option.

OVERALL: i am planning to go back here again and despite the no upgrade i was offerred use of the lounge, next time hoping to get a larger, better room though.

Room Tip: Club floor facing the courtyard/pool is best here. everything else is a parking lot view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MarcusBeier
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2013

Dear ryan b,

Thanks very much for trying us and taking the time to share your insightful experiences as well.
Just as a point of information, only our 6th floor is the Club Level, the fifth is our SPG floor. With not nearly enough Club rooms to accommodate the requests we receive for upgrades, we attempt to get as many on the SPG Level and offer Club Lounge access. Always best to reserve the Club rooms as early as possible.

We'll definitely address the very untypical in room dining experience you encountered and assure you that will not be the case in the future.

Look forward to serving you again very soon. If I may be of service in the meantime in any way, please call on me.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel is very nice and has extremely comfortable beds. What we found most valuable was the Free shuttle. We were in town for a wedding and since the hotel isn't in the city center, having the shuttle available was invaluable. They took us into town multiple times throughout the weekend and we saved a ton of money on cabs.
Additionally, the staff is very friendly and helpful. Our rate did not include breakfast (which was very expensive), but we didn't mind as that meant we could experience brunch at the amazing Cafe Zola!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Mecarr C,

Thanks so much for your business and kind words regarding your experience with us - very much appreciated!

We hope to see and serve you again soon, if I may be of any assistance until then, please call on me anytime.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stay two nights for our daughter's wedding.The rooms were nice,the beds were great .Getting to the club floor was a pain.The food for breakfast was lacking.The hall was great for the receptions was great.There food was outstanding.The wait staff was outstanding.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim J

Dear Jim J,

First and foremost, congratulations to you and your daughter! Thanks very much for staying with us and sharing your experiences. Very glad to hear that the event went well and your expectations were met overall. Sorry you found Club Lounge difficult to access and under-stocked. We will address the issues.

If I may be of service in any way in the meantime, please call on me personally.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We landed here as a Priceline winning bid. We stayed in the middle of renovations (which happens). The property was great, nice and clean, with comfy beds and a very nice pool. For our one night, we were very happy.

But here's why I can't give them five dots: they used to be a Four Points by Sheraton. The entire atmosphere of the hotel was clearly built towards that brand. The Sheraton brand itself has slightly higher expectations, none of which were met. For example, there were no bellstaff there, nor was there any luggage carts, in the 10 minutes we waited to check in. Also, we waited 10 minutes to check in. They were clearly understaffed that night, and while I understand that, it also makes life a little harder for a weary traveler. Another thing that seems small but wound up being huge: the drive in front of the hotel front doors isn't very wide. It makes sense to make it one way to reduce traffic flow. But it's not, which leads to gridlock as more cars pull up from both directions trying to check in (add the slow check-in, and it gets even worse).

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
StephenSmyka, General Manager at Sheraton Ann Arbor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Joe H,

Thanks very much for your business and comments from your March stay with us. I'm glad to hear you were happy with the experience overall and apologize for the shortcomings you encountered.

While I don't recall any renovations taking place then, I can assure you that we very typically exceed the Sheraton brand standards which are vastly different than a Four Points including Bellstaff and ample bell-carts. I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't hit the mark upon your arrival.

We hope to serve you again in the near future and earn your five "owl eyes" rating. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 9 September 2013

The good: great beds, friendly restaurant staff and good food, nice pool (inside and outside), laundry room, "social computer lounge" in the lobby with a printer.
The bad: problems when checking in - check in staff was very unhelpful when confronted with a booking problem that was partially their fault. Some power points in the room didn't work. The pool was great for kids, but wouldn't be suitable to lap swimming at all (it's round and quite small). We were on the ground floor pool side and there were some noisy families around the pool outside until quite late. We had a family room with two double beds and there were only 3 towels in the room when we got in - felt a bit stingy! There is nowhere to change or shower around the pools at all.
Overall though it's a nicely run hotel and the rooms are very comfortable.

Dear LondonWorkingMum,

Thanks so much for your business and taking the time to share your experiences with us. Comments like yours allow us the opportunity to improve our product and service quality on a continuum.

I sincerely appreciate your objective feedback and apologize for the lack of help provided by my front desk team upon arrival as well as the issues you encountered throughout. I can assure you we take our roles very seriously and will address and correct the oversights.

We collectively hope you will afford us another opportunity to serve you should your travels bring you back to Ann Arbor in the future. If I may be of service in the meantime, please let me know.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Lived up to the Sheraton name! Nice big rooms, beds were very comfortable and the furnishings tasteful and elegant. Didn't get to use the fitness room, but my son liked it. Will definitely stay here again.

Dear gprr,

Thanks for your business, kind words and recommendation - we appreciate it very much.

We hope to see you and serve you again soon. If I can be of service in the meantime, please call on me.

Best-
Steve

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel 25 years ago, so I was really surprised to find how well this property was retrofitted recently. You would think it was just built last year! Everything in the public areas and in the hotel rooms is fresh and modern and very appealing. My son & I stayed here for 5 nights over Labor Day weekend for golf and a Michigan football game and we really enjoyed our stay. Agree with other reviewers that the beds are super comfy. Although small, the bathroom is nice also including the mirror with embedded lighting. Great workout facility and indoor/outdoor pool with hot tub. We liked how the bar area and food area and the lobby are all open and integrated. Staff was outstanding - we never encountered an employee who was anything other than friendly & helpful.

We did have a few speedbumps: 1) On Friday, we were gone from 9:30am to 7pm and our room was never serviced. 2) On Sunday when we got up, the shower handle was stripped on it's shaft and we had to take a washcloth bath in the sink rather than a proper shower. 3) The rooms have some kind of gravity-feed toilet that makes a huge roar when it flushes and then a loud whine after about 20 seconds - it wakes up everyone in the room if you get up and go in the middle of the night, even with the bathroom door closed.

Would have been a 5-star stay if not for these three glitches. Overall we really enjoyed ourselves and would definitely recommend this property.

Room Tip: We were in 311 facing the parking lot with the freeway off in the distance - never heard a sound!

Dear americanjim,

Thank you very much for your loyal business and taking time to share your experiences from your recent stay with us - I appreciate both a great deal.

I'm glad to see that you enjoyed the results of our transformation and the service my team provided.

I apologize sincerely for the untypical housekeeping oversight and maintenance defect with your shower. Yes, our new toilets do flush with authority - sorry for any disturbance that resulted.

We hope to serve you again next visit and earn your five-start rating! Please let me know if I can be of service in any way.