“Ann Arbor fans for life!!”

Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Ann Arbor
Ontario Canada
“Ann Arbor fans for life!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

Although this hotel is literally 5 minutes away from shopping, restaurants etc. Do drive into the Main Street section down town (approx 15 min drive)and experience a foodies paradise in restaurants...there are two side streets along Main near the Mongolian BBq joint, that have outstanding restaurants!! ..and do the Kerry town district, artsy, great grocery store (think whole foods but a little more edgier) Hotel is clean, nice pool area, breakfast is included. Service is excellent, the front desk was extremely helpful. Loved Ann Arbour, the University museum of Natural Arts is a must see, as well as strolling through the University of Michigan campus (we did the central down town) Wow amazing!!! Briarwood Mall very nice..We had a blast here, and highly recommend the drive to Ann Arbor..

Room Tip: The one bedroom suite, was well worth the extra. It is huge. and accomodates up to 4 people quite c...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elizabethF67
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
We are extremely happy to hear you enjoyed both Ann Arbor and the Regent Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed the hotel and our excellent staff. We hope to have you stay with us again soon.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Polish first
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I initially did not want to stay here because this was not a brand name that I recognized but all the other hotels in the area were booked. I was pleasantly surprised upon check-in - a beautiful hotel that is maintained excellently. The decor is a bit old fashioned but there is nothing lacking - pool, healthclub, Internet access, etc. The best part was the garden in the back which was so lovingly created and maintained. I really want the owners to know how much I appreciated that - it's not something you normally see in a hotel. Yes, we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Al M
Thank you for "breaking the chains" and trying the Ann Arbor Regent Hotel, a locally owned and operated hotel. Also, thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed our outdoor garden and gazebo area. While the hotel is all new we do offer both a classic and contemporary decor throughout the hotel.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stayed at Regent on our way from Cincinnati to Traverse City. The hotel was quaint, but lovely. The rooms were spacious and had everything we needed. The pool was great, and the garden with gazebo outside the pool area was really pretty. This was a very nice hotel for a short trip, but we'd consider staying longer if we ever decide to visit Ann Arbor again.

Room Tip: First floor was nice, we walked easily to the pool and breakfast area.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie A
Thank you for the nice review and for staying with us while passing through the area. We hope you enjoyed your Pure Michigan vacation as much as you enjoyed your hotel stay with us.

Indianapolis
Reviewed 1 August 2012

A really nice, new, clean hotel, with excellent service at a great price. It is a few miles from the center of Ann Arbor, but easy to get to. Free parking, non-smoking, pet-free, free wifi, free hot breakfast. And the price was $40-50 less than anything else I found on the internet for the same night. It is as nice, or a bit nicer, than the 3-star hotels we usually stay in, like the Hampton Inns.

It was also nice having CNN news on in the breakfast room, rather than the wretched Fox News that you usually find in hotels.

An extra nice touch: I got up too late for one of the free newspapers available at the front desk, but one of the staff offered to "go next door" to get me one, and brought it to me in the breakfast room.

Room Tip: The whole place is non-smoking and pet-free, so I would think all the rooms would be fine!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and letting us know we are nicer than the usually Hampton Inn. We are always happy with guests "break the chains" and stay with us! We are glad you enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast, wireless internet and the newspaper. We hope you stay with us again soon.

America, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We chose this hotel based on TA reviews. We stayed for 2 nights and then for 2 nights after that at a Hampton Inn an hour away. Both are in the same hotel class. The Hampton Inn was $10 cheaper a night. It was a vast improvement over the Regent, I'm afraid.

First, the positives. This hotel and room were very clean. I found this to be a good start, but not enough to outweigh the negative aspects of our stay. The fitness room had nice equipment. However, 2 days in a row, it lacked any disinfecting spray or wipes for guests to clean off equipment before or after use which is unhygienic. Our room was very quiet, which was nice.

As many have mentioned in their reviews, the breakfast was poor. The choices were limited and not tasty. Again, I am comparing the hotel to a Hampton Inn, not a Ritz Carlton. The breakfast area was understaffed, so both days we had to wait 5 minutes while eggs were being prepared by the one person working the entire breakfast area. That's not a crisis, but nothing went empty at the Hampton Inn because the multiple staff were always checking and refilling items.

In the room, the bathroom lighting was poor, making it hard to put on make-up (no make-up mirror provided). Towels were rough. The mattress was only decent. The bed was made in such a way that the blanket only came up halfway, though the sheet came up all the way, so that we were tugging on the blanket all night. So much nicer to have the clean duvet cover at the Hampton Inn, on a much improved mattress, rather than this old style model of sketchy hotel blankets on a poorly made bed.

On our second day, we left the hotel early in the morning after breakfast. We returned at 3:30pm for a nap and then to do some work before dinner. We were disappointed to find our room had not yet been made up. Rather than have housekeeping interrupt our afternoon, we politely called the front desk and said we would just skip housekeeping, but to please send over fresh towels. The front desk staff member was apologetic and said he would go find housekeeping himself and take care of this. We did not put our "Do Not Disturb" sign on our door because we expected towels to be delivered right away. Well, an hour later, we had fallen asleep after a long day, and housekeeping knocked on our door, waking us up. The person did not have any knowledge or perhaps understanding of our towel request or of our request for no service. She was there to do a full service. We refused it, and took the towels at this point.

On our way to dinner, I stopped by the front desk to express my frustration--still politely. One of the men there said he communicated to housekeeping, but seem to have expressed that they should do our service as soon as possible, and not necessarily just to bring us the towels we had asked for. When I expressed that 4:30pm was rather late in the day to receive housekeeping service regardless, one of the men told me that they are there until 5pm so someone will always be the last room to get served! I guess I would hope that it would be the rooms where guests were checking out without anyone checking in that would be the last cleaned, and not guests staying 2 nights that would be last. The hotel was far from full! The other staff member said, "Is there anything we can do for you now to make this better?" I told them it was up to them. They said they didn't have the authority to adjust our rate based on what happened, but that I should definitely speak to someone in the morning. I asked that they make a note in the computer of what happened.

In the morning, I spoke with the front desk staff person. She looked at me with great confusion and begrudgingly knocked $10 off of our nightly room charge to shut me up, which was more of an insult than an acknowledgement that their staff had fallen short of expectations. A sincere apology with no change of rate would have been more satisfactory. Our nightly bill that arrived under our door, by the way, stated on it, 3 different times, "Customer complained twice about housekeeping." It didn't say, "Customer had a problem with housekeeping," or "Front desk staff didn't properly communicate with housekeeping on customer's behalf."

When I finally went to check out, there was no one at the front desk. The phones were ringing off the hook and the person working was at an inner office where I could see her. She did not look up for a full 5 minutes while she answered other calls. A maintenance person reassured me someone would be right with me. Finally, an additional staff member arrived. I think they are largely suffering from understaffing. At the Hampton Inn, we left our room at 9:30am and it was clean when we returned at 11am. When we requested a fridge be delivered to our room, it was there in under 5 minutes. The staff to guest ratio was clearly much higher and it showed in the level of service provided all around. I need to make clear that I am not a guest who routinely complains at hotels or tries to get discounts based on little service errors. If you read my many other reviews, you will see I try hard to be fair and balanced. However, this hotel was inconveniently located in Ann Arbor for us and we only stayed based on the reviews. So, it was disappointing when it did not nearly live up to them.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ReviewerMaryland1
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 7 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion about your recent stay. As for our breakfast, we have 100% fresh squeezed orange juice, bacon, scrambled eggs, omelets, none of which that Hampton offers.

I will make sure to check the mattress in that room because each of our rooms has a double pillow top Serta mattress.

I am sorry that we dropped the ball with communicating between the desk and housekeeping. You are correct, we should not miss these requests and I have addressed the importance to all of our desk agents. This is crucial to our property offering superior service.

Again, thank you for sharing your opinion. I have utilized this review to retrain in a few areas to ensure we are offering superior service!

DeWayne Grann
Ann Arbor Regent Hotel and Suites
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 27 July 2012

Before my current job, I spent 15+ years as a quality director and trainer in the hospitality industry, mostly in the upscale and upper-upscale segment. Last minute arrangements for a business trip found me unexpectedly at the Ann Arbor Regent Hotels and Suites this week, which is surrounded by options such as Red Roof Inn and Holiday Inn Express, Given that the rate wasn't much higher than those nearby options, I expected a similar "ambiance." Wow, was I surprised!

First impression? The place is flat out gorgeous and clean as a whistle. They have new-looking luggage carts right inside the curving driveway. The lobby has lots of dark wood and comfortable seating. The indoor pool is visible through glass windows right from the lobby and it's surrounded by wrought iron tables and chairs...in a very garden-like setting.

Oh...the second floor has a big, open billiards room above the front lobby. It has a very club-like atmosphere...not "billiard parlor."

Front desk agents were dressed in upscale attire; suits, not polo shirts. The agents who greeted us throughout our stay were knowledgeable, helpful and AUTHENTIC...no phony smiles or "faked" interest. The rooms were great - the bed is as comfy as some of the "heavenly beds" from other chains. The bathtubs all had curved shower bars and they used GIlcrest & Somes amenities like some upscale properties. While I always prefer central AC to the individual room unit ACs, it was bearable. The unit was digital and in good condition...not too noisy. The room has a microwave, refrigerator and coffee maker which is great if staying longer

Only two opportunities for improvement: first, please include an in-room safe (one big enough to hold a laptop or tablet). Second, while it was great to have a free breakfast and the options were fine, the quality of the hot food was lacking. Perhaps you can find a provider with better tasting and quality scrambled egg product. It was bland and tasteless. Also, please offer lite yogurt as well as regular.

These two small fixes would do nothing to keep me away. This is really as close to a 4-Star commuter/short vacation property as I've ever enjoyed. If I'm ever in the area again, I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
aarsales, Director of Sales at Ann Arbor Regent Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Thank you for trying the Ann Arbor Regent Hotel and taking the time to write such a nice review about your experience with us. It seems our motto fit your stay...The Perfect Hotel at The Perfect Price! We are glad you took the time to notice all of our upscale amenities and features. Thank you for the two suggestions on improvement. While we do not have in-room safes the front desk does offer safety deposit boxes behind the desk. Also, we have now started to offer a rotating breakfast option of scrabbled eggs, sausage and potatoes on certain days and cheese omelets, bacon and potatoes of other days. We also offer lite yogurt which unfortunately we did run out on the day of your stay. We hope you stay with us again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The hotel was immaculate. It was very well-maintained. The furnishings in the room were beautiful, and the bed was very comfortable. It was hot when we stayed so the room was a bit stuffy from to much air-conditioning. The breakfast was fabulous, and family who live in Ann arbor and came in the morning to visit (we were passing through) were treated very well by the staff and even invited to the breakfast at no charge. That was unexpected. The pool was very nice and bright. There is a fabulous courtyard with a gazebo we did not use due to the heat, which was over 100, but i think that it would be the place to enjoy a morning coffee otherwise. Everything worked well. There was one glitch where a couple had a key to the room and walked in, but I went with them to the front desk and it was taken care of. Seems my room was showing vacant. That would not deter me from staying here again. It is a bit pricier than some nearby hotels, but it is tough to have a virtual guarantee that your room will be spotless, luxurious, and well-maintained. Bravo to the maintenance crew and the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write such a nice review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and our amenities. We apologize for the inconvenience you experienced and have worked with the front desk staff to make sure this never happens again. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.